Employee with PPL flying for the Company

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PRpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Employee with PPL flying for the Company

Post by PRpilot »

If I only have a PPL would I be allowed to fly a plane to take photos of job sites for the company I work for? It's an engineering company, not related to aviation in any way. The purpose of the photos would be for our own site reconnaissance and project marketing materials. We wouldn't be transporting anyone except for company employees for the purposes of viewing the sites from the air. We would also want to fly employees to get to job sites and/or meetings as well.

I've read the topic "Jobs you can do with your own floatplane", viewtopic.php?f=54&t=144694, but I still am not sure about my usage case. I suspect it's not allowed, but I wanted to check before making this anything more than a thought experiment.

Or is this something that we would have to get an AOC for, as well as upgrading to a CPL?
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Employee with PPL flying for the Company

Post by valleyboy »

There is far more involved. Liability and consequences if you have a mishap. Is it really worth it.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 am There is far more involved. Liability and consequences if you have a mishap. Is it really worth it.
Thats what insurance is for.
(3) The holder of a private pilot licence may receive reimbursement from the holder’s employer for costs incurred in respect of a flight if the holder

(a) is employed on a full-time basis by the employer for purposes other than flying;

(b) conducts the flight on the employer’s business and the flight is incidental to the execution of the holder’s duties; and

(c) receives a reimbursement that

(i) in the case of an aircraft owned by the holder, is paid at a rate based on distance travelled or number of hours flown and that does not exceed the total of the holder’s direct operating costs and the fees charged against the aircraft in respect of the flight, or

(ii) in the case of a rental aircraft, does not exceed the total of the holder’s rental costs, direct operating costs and the fees charged against the aircraft in respect of the flight.
Who owns the plane?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PRpilot wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:02 am If I only have a PPL would I be allowed to fly a plane to take photos of job sites for the company I work for? It's an engineering company, not related to aviation in any way. The purpose of the photos would be for our own site reconnaissance and project marketing materials. We wouldn't be transporting anyone except for company employees for the purposes of viewing the sites from the air. We would also want to fly employees to get to job sites and/or meetings as well.

I've read the topic "Jobs you can do with your own floatplane", viewtopic.php?f=54&t=144694, but I still am not sure about my usage case. I suspect it's not allowed, but I wanted to check before making this anything more than a thought experiment.

Or is this something that we would have to get an AOC for, as well as upgrading to a CPL?
If it's part of your job to pilot an aircraft then it's quite clear: you need a CPL. With a PPL you can fly to your job, but not as your job.

If the photography is for and within your company and the company owns the plane then it's not a commercial air service: per the Aeronautics Act: "A commercial air service means any use of aircraft for hire or reward;" - and in this case there is none. Therefore you don't need an OC.

If you want to fly company personnel around in a company airplane, you can do that (with a CPL). No OC is required. If using a large aircraft, a jet powered aircraft, or a turbine powered aircraft with more than six seats then you need a private operator registration document under section 604 of the CARs.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Just go take your pictures and don't tell anybody. Problem solved!

PRpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PRpilot »

As for who owns the plane, that's not decided. It could be the business owner who would buy it personally. I could also buy a share of it as well. Or, he could buy it within the company.

My job is to prepare engineering documents and aerial photos would just be to add to those documents. So the flying part would be incidental and not my job. Ie, the job will go ahead with or without the flying part.
photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:07 am If you want to fly company personnel around in a company airplane, you can do that (with a CPL). No OC is required. If using a large aircraft, a jet powered aircraft, or a turbine powered aircraft with more than six seats then you need a private operator registration document under section 604 of the CARs.
To clarify, for flying company personnel around, I would need a CPL? Even if I am also attending the meetings and or site visits?

Thanks for the feedback!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you fly company personnel around, in an airplane owned by the company that you work for, and that pays you, and you don't have a CPL - that's not going to look good at the enquiry.

Seriously - do you think it's fair and appropriate to your colleagues to ask them to be shuttled around by someone who only holds a PPL? Do they get the opportunity to say "no thanks - that's too risky"?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Well I've seen that exact situation many times and it never raised eyebrows. This was a 604 operation though which has pretty high requirements. If any of my friends and family were in a situation where the company 421 or 182 was being flown by a private pilot I would absolutely tell them to refuse getting on board without asking a lot of questions. I'd want to see at least the level of training and operational control required by a 604 operation.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

A PPL was flying an aircraft big enough to require a 604 operation?

PRpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PRpilot »

Thanks for the sobering thoughts photofly. Really, I am just at the beginning of pondering all this, hence why I reached out to the AvCanada community. I wanted to get peoples' thoughts on the matter. I have a PPL, but haven't flown in a long time and recently my job has morphed into this as possibility, so I thought, hey, why not look into seeing if I can fly somehow with my job.
photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:35 am Seriously - do you think it's fair and appropriate to your colleagues to ask them to be shuttled around by someone who only holds a PPL? Do they get the opportunity to say "no thanks - that's too risky"?
That's a very valid point which I'm glad you raised. I am also considering continuing my training to get the CPL. Just want to know all the issues before making a decision.
ahramin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:05 am Well I've seen that exact situation many times and it never raised eyebrows. This was a 604 operation though which has pretty high requirements. If any of my friends and family were in a situation where the company 421 or 182 was being flown by a private pilot I would absolutely tell them to refuse getting on board without asking a lot of questions. I'd want to see at least the level of training and operational control required by a 604 operation.
Sounds like maybe I should look into what goes into a 604 operation.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

It does make me wonder. If a private pilot charges by the hour to fly the company aircraft and take some pictures which CAR is violated? What about a PPL who charges another PPL for conversion training?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don't think you can elect to have a 604 operation. Either you have a private aircraft that's big enough to require one, or you're not eligible. I don't think there's any element of choice about it.

Of course you can voluntarily try to abide by all the 604 requirements for a small plane, but you don't get the supervision or ability to say "we're a 604 operation."

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

ahramin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:23 am It does make me wonder. If a private pilot charges by the hour to fly the company aircraft and take some pictures which CAR is violated?
401.28 (1)

It's axiomatic that to get paid to be a pilot you need a Commercial Pilot Licence.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:13 am A PPL was flying an aircraft big enough to require a 604 operation?
Yes. There's nothing about flying a TBM 900, a King Air 350, or a Citation that requires a CPL. I've seen PPLs flying all of those.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I know it's legal, I'm just surprised that it actually occurs. If it comes to it, there's no rule that a PPL can't fly an airplane run by a 70x operation, (excepting being PIC of a multi-crew airplane) - they just can't get paid for it.

Last edited by photofly on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:25 am
ahramin wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:23 am It does make me wonder. If a private pilot charges by the hour to fly the company aircraft and take some pictures which CAR is violated?
401.28 (1)
Well that's pretty clear, I hadn't looked at that one for a while.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 am I know it's legal, I'm just surprised that it actually occurs.
There are actually a lot of highly qualified and experienced PPLs out there, they just don't hang out here.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

You have asked:
If I only have a PPL would I be allowed to fly a plane to take photos of job sites for the company I work for?
And you have said:
I have a PPL, but haven't flown in a long time and recently my job has morphed into this as possibility,
The combination of those two is worrisome for me. Some types of aerial photography demand precise flying, and paying more attention to what your subject on the ground is than flying the plane. Then you get into the realm of precise aerial photography, you're either being distracted trying to fly and photograph at the same time to get the photo right, or you've got someone on board with you, distracting you, and asking you to turn more tightly, or fly past downwind or such.

I suggest a fifty hours of recency flying, including airwork, slow flight, and emergencies, before you consider any kind of photography more demanding than the occasional scene out the window. If you devote that fifty hours toward a CPL, even better!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Out of interest - the PPL holders flying for a 604 operation - were they the owners of the aircraft (and operation) or flying for someone else?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:23 am I don't think you can elect to have a 604 operation. Either you have a private aircraft that's big enough to require one, or you're not eligible. I don't think there's any element of choice about it.

Of course you can voluntarily try to abide by all the 604 requirements for a small plane, but you don't get the supervision or ability to say "we're a 604 operation."
A client of mine tried exactly this with his RV-6 so that he could do RCAP approaches. TC told him to pound sand. I haven't checked the rules lately but at some point there was some overlap between not being required to have one and being able to get one. I think multi engine piston aircraft.

Return to “General Comments”