Liberal “ Green New Deal” includes Canada wide high speed rail and allows employees to transition out of high carbon ind

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Liberal “ Green New Deal” includes Canada wide high speed rail and allows employees to transition out of high carbon ind

Post by McKinley »

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... c433f/amp/

Reads like a excerpt from the great reset. Especially the tuition piece so employees from Carbon emitting industries can transition to new careers.

( Nice gesture) but how do these employees live in the interim? I haven’t been able to replace my income.

I also wonder how high speed rail will work through Rogers pass or northern regions. - doubt he thought about that.

Who the ef is going to pay for this?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Liberal “ Green New Deal” includes Canada wide high speed rail and allows employees to transition out of high carbon

Post by Bede »

I know nothing of engineering trains, but it's interesting: in Japan, the Shinkenzen (high speed train) services all the flat areas. As soon as you end up in the mountains (Japan has lots of mountains), the trains are similar to what you find in Canada.

JoeShithe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Liberal “ Green New Deal” includes Canada wide high speed rail and allows employees to transition out of high carbon

Post by JoeShithe »

The carbon footprint from building this will exceed 10 on the Greta scale..

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Nation wide highspeed rail will never happen. The cost would be astronomical, and in a number of places geographically challenged. CN & CP will not give up their track/property (VIA has little to no track of their own as they only have rights on the aforementioned), so a it'd have to be built on government land or pay off private owners which will be an additional cost. However, short pairings such as YYZ - YUL, YYC-YEG, YQR-YXE is more doable but still cost heavy for a nation already drowning in debt.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Too large of a country with a low population density. Might work in the YXU-YYZ-YUL-YQB corridor and maybe between YYC-YEG. More suited to Europe and Asia

Let’s Go Brandon
Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I just saw a video about this a few days ago for the US...it’s a pipe dream. I believe they ended up with one section in California connecting Sacramento with some other town I’ve never heard of...

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Nationwide high speed rail will never happen in Canada, at least not in our lifetimes, but I could see it happening in the Windsor-Toronto-Ottawa-Montréal-Québec corridor. Maybe Halifax. Kind of like the freeways that we're slowly building out to the Soo.

Edmonton-Calgary, maybe to Saskatoon and Regina would also be a slim possibility.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

3 articles to read in order to answer why these pipe dreams will never happen:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos ... ce726/amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/financialpo ... 8fd1b/amp/

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/boereport.c ... er-it/amp/

We can no longer build anything. Even if we do we can’t keep it going before we either feel guilt about it, tax, regulate or plainly beat it to death.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Anyone who believes this crap is stupider than the idiots who authored it. Jesus. Could they not even refrain from using the stupid title from south of the border.

What a joke

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Bede wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:30 pm I know nothing of engineering trains, but it's interesting: in Japan, the Shinkenzen (high speed train) services all the flat areas. As soon as you end up in the mountains (Japan has lots of mountains), the trains are similar to what you find in Canada.
Bede, the Hokuriku Shinkansen goes north from Tokyo, to Nagano and Niigata - through all sorts of mountains; the Joetsu line does roughly the same. Where they can't find a valley to go along, they tunnel underneath the mountains. One big difference is that at the south end of both of those lines is about 35 Million people packed into an area about 1/3 the size of the GTA. Technically, I'm certain that a high-speed line between YVr and YYC is possible, but good luck making an economic go of it.
YYC to YEG, likewise - good luck prising Albertan fingers from F350 Dually steering wheels! :wink:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Another thing, high speed rail means nothing if the infrastructure on either end sucks. For anyone who's been to France or Germany specifically you know that every major city has a robust transit system of either buses and local trains in smaller towns or S Bahn / U Bahn in larger metropolitan areas. So rail between those points makes sense. There is zero need for a car and you can get virtually anywhere in more populated areas and have at most a ten minute walk.

Good luck trying to do that in Canada. The skytrain is great, but it doesn't reach nearly as many places as the s/u Bahn would. Even with our bus system. It's just not practical.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

This makes sense, nothing else.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/high-speed-rail

Toronto- YYZ - Kitchener- London.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Moose love rail lines in the winter. They're clear of snow. Not sure if I'd want to be doing 350km/h in anything when I hit a 2000lb beastie. I've seen what a Canada goose does to the nose cone on an aircraft.

Plus, what does the "construction carbon footprint" look like. Components all have to arrive from truck, heavy construction equipment and earth moving all burn diesel. All the land consumed by the track line will be devoid of greenery. The land needs purchasing.

This idea is stupid, like most Liberal ideas. Liberal cock-a-mamey ideas and spending will drive inflation through the roof. Just watch what UBI will do to the costs of any "service industry" in this country. Get ready for a $6 large DD at Tim's, cuz why not stay in bed rather than pour it for you. $200 a night at Motel 6 cuz they can't find anyone who wants to clean rooms. It pays more to play with the PS4.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

We still have sections of the trans Canada that are single lane. Let’s work on twining that before we consider a rail line.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Can't wait for the rail blockades...

1 pickup, 2 diphits, and 3 burning tires will shut it all down...

How many miles needed to stop from 300 kph?

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

I suppose that's one way to keep Bombardier in business. :)

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

North Shore wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 pm
Bede wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:30 pm I know nothing of engineering trains, but it's interesting: in Japan, the Shinkenzen (high speed train) services all the flat areas. As soon as you end up in the mountains (Japan has lots of mountains), the trains are similar to what you find in Canada.
Bede, the Hokuriku Shinkansen goes north from Tokyo, to Nagano and Niigata - through all sorts of mountains; the Joetsu line does roughly the same. Where they can't find a valley to go along, they tunnel underneath the mountains. One big difference is that at the south end of both of those lines is about 35 Million people packed into an area about 1/3 the size of the GTA. Technically, I'm certain that a high-speed line between YVr and YYC is possible, but good luck making an economic go of it.
YYC to YEG, likewise - good luck prising Albertan fingers from F350 Dually steering wheels! :wink:
Some of us Albertans drive Porsches. Sorry. 😉

FlyingLion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FlyingLion »

Add a single snowstorm into this and it will be real funny.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^'Cos it never snows anywhere else in the world :roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

FlyingLion wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am Add a single snowstorm into this and it will be real funny.
I’m waiting for the first time some kids leave a couch on the rails. And don’t even think about building the tracks near the Rez. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”