Flight instructor with no medical

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

chuckd46
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight instructor with no medical

Post by chuckd46 »

I (33) recently had a heart attack and had successfully recovered and rehabbing to reapply (in 6 months) for a class 1 medical to continue my career. Before the incident i was a flight instructor , i was wondering if there is any training i can continue giving while waiting for my medical (i.e. simulator training for ifr) or if my instructor license becomes invalid due to my medical becoming invalid.

Thanks for the info
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight instructor with no medical

Post by photofly »

Unfortunately, it is the privilege of the holder of a flight instructor rating (or sometimes a CPL with appropriate experience, etc.) to conduct training, and, additionally:
401.03 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall act as a flight crew member or exercise the privileges of a flight crew permit, licence or rating unless

(a) the person holds the appropriate permit, licence or rating;
(b) the permit, licence or rating is valid;
(c) the person holds the appropriate medical certificate; and
So, while your medical is not restored there's no formal instruction towards a licence or rating that you can do. You could arguably do checkouts and reviews, with the other pilot as PIC.

You could also be appointed as a ground instructor at an FTU.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I believe that you can provide ground training (sim, ground school, etc.). Sorry I don't have a reference, but I knew a guy years ago that became a sim instructor.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

You might try to get a 'let' - that is, give them a proposal that you be allowed a medical for the express purpose of advanced (commercial and flight reviews) flight training only, until your regular medical is re-instated. You'd be flying with licenced pilots only, and day/night, single/multi VFR only.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

chuckd46 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm I (33) recently had a heart attack and had successfully recovered and rehabbing to reapply (in 6 months) for a class 1 medical to continue my career. Before the incident i was a flight instructor , i was wondering if there is any training i can continue giving while waiting for my medical (i.e. simulator training for ifr) or if my instructor license becomes invalid due to my medical becoming invalid.

Thanks for the info
Plenty of people who are retired and/or lost their medical get involved in ground based training (sim or ground school).

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Number1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Number1 »

Here’s your reference:
425.21 Qualifications of Flight Instructors
(19) A person who conducts flight training, using a synthetic flight training equipment, approved in accordance with section 606.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, toward the issuance of a pilot licence or rating shall
* (a) meet or have met the flight instructor rating qualifications for the applicable licence or rating; and
* (b) have received instruction on the operation of the synthetic flight training equipment from a person trained in the operation of the device.

Last edited by Number1 on Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckd46
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chuckd46 »

The usa has regulation FAR 61.23 but couldnt find anything in the CARs

chuckd46
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chuckd46 »

Number1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:18 pm Here’s your reference:
425.21 Qualifications of Flight Instructors
(19) A person who conducts flight training, using a synthetic flight training equipment, approved in accordance with section 606.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, toward the issuance of a pilot licence or rating shall
* (a) meet or have met the flight instructor rating qualifications for the applicable licence or rating; and
* (b) have received instruction on the operation of the synthetic flight training equipment from a person trained in the operation of the device.

Thank you so much

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

chuckd46 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm I (33) recently had a heart attack and had successfully recovered and rehabbing to reapply (in 6 months) for a class 1 medical to continue my career. Before the incident i was a flight instructor , i was wondering if there is any training i can continue giving while waiting for my medical (i.e. simulator training for ifr) or if my instructor license becomes invalid due to my medical becoming invalid.

Thanks for the info
Ground School. There is no requirement to hold a license to give ATPL and IFR ground school instruction. It’s been a few years since I looked at it, but I believe you can give CPL and PPL ground school without a rating. I believe the wording in the CAR just states that you must be appointed by the CFI.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The ultralight instructor thing is just a medical attestation I think. You'd be in a position to make the judgement call on that one and they may not accept your attestation I suppose...

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesel »

Quote "co-joe - The ultralight instructor thing is just a medical attestation I think."

Not the op's question but No. The Ultralight (& Glider) Instructor rating require a Class 3 Medical - attestation won't cut it. Category 4 IS valid for the ULPP and the GPL, but not the Instructor ratings. Standard 424 applies.

Jamesel

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

One should note as well that one of the qualifications for the cat 4 attestation is that you have not been denied a higher medical.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Your worst off than I am, TC cancelled my pilot licence because I did not go for an audiogram, proir to that my instructor rating was invalid because TC inspectors were not conducting flight test, And letters to the Transport Minister Hon. Astronaut Mr. M.G. were never answered, Maybe you should become a drone pilot.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

redlaser wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:38 am ... my instructor rating was invalid because TC inspectors were not conducting flight test,
No. You refused to believe that there are any independent pilot examiners who could renew your instructor rating and insisted, wrongly, that only a TC inspector could renew it. Your own stubbornness was the cause of that self-inflicted wound.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

When you hold a class one or class two instructor rating TC will do the test, if its a class three or four it can be done by a approved person. My flight tests in the past were always conducted by TC. Even though my student flight test records were 87%.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

redlaser wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am When you hold a class one or class two instructor rating TC will do the test, if its a class three or four it can be done by a approved person. My flight tests in the past were always conducted by TC. Even though my student flight test records were 87%.
Still no. I gave you the name of a Pilot Examiner, who does not work for TC, and who renewed your Class 2 Instructor rating last year. TC can do these renewals, but they do not have to do them. Are you intentionally thick, or just enjoying trolling?

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

FYI, the name you gave me would be the last person I would ask to do a flight test, 😎, I'll wait til the pandemic kills every human on the planet except me, then I can fly without having to kiss TC, a**.☺

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

redlaser wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:40 pm FYI, the name you gave me would be the last person I would ask to do a flight test, 😎, I'll wait til the pandemic kills every human on the planet except me, then I can fly without having to kiss TC, a**.☺
So you renewed your instructor rating with him, or you did not renew it with him? You did not express any reservations a year ago when I gave you his name.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Aviatard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am
redlaser wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 am When you hold a class one or class two instructor rating TC will do the test, if its a class three or four it can be done by a approved person. My flight tests in the past were always conducted by TC. Even though my student flight test records were 87%.
Still no. I gave you the name of a Pilot Examiner, who does not work for TC, and who renewed your Class 2 Instructor rating last year. TC can do these renewals, but they do not have to do them. Are you intentionally thick, or just enjoying trolling?
if he had renewed a class 2 instructor rating last year, it wouldn't need to be renewed again until 2023.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”