Aviation and the 2021 Election

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Aviation and the 2021 Election

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

After reviewing the forum rules, I have noticed that political discussion is not prohibited on this forum. Let's start a civil conversation with aviation related issues and the newly announced September 20, 2021 federal election.

Before you comment, do us all a favour and read up on what is and is not allowed.

Forums Rules

Avcanada Posting Etiquette and Consequences

Long story short:
  • Don't be an asshole
  • Keep the conversation related to Canadian aviation
  • No bullying, name calling, or slagging
  • If you are offended by someone's opinion, don't respond unless you can do so while respecting their right to having an opinion
And may I leave you with some words from a wise woman
Opinions are like [bum]holes... we all have one.
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Aviation and the 2021 Election

Post by kevenv »

And may I leave you with some words from a wise woman
Opinions are like [bum]holes... we all have one.
to expand on this....
and unless it's your own it's probably sh*tty.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

As much as I dislike the way the governing party has treated our industry compared to other countries, I don’t think the other major party will be any better for us.

From their policy book:

“The Conservative Party believes the government must negotiate reciprocal “Open Skies” type agreements where it is deemed to be in Canada’s overall interest.”

From a union member perspective, the NDP is probably the only party that wouldn’t legislate us back to work. Both the liberals and conservatives have hindered our opportunities to negotiate fair contracts in the last two decades.

On the flip side, I really struggle with the “free everything!” with no solid plan to pay for it.

Long story short: I’m politically homeless. I don’t feel that any of the parities represent my interests.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

This is old.

New platform released today.
Page 11

https://cpcassets.conservative.ca/wp-co ... 21e07a.pdf

:!: :!: :!: :!: ANYONE BUT TRUDEAU 2021 :!: :!: :!: :!:

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

RRJetPilot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:59 am This is old.

Page 11

Platforms and policy documents are not the same. Platform = what we will do in the next 4 years. Policy = what our long term vision is.

Their platform sounds nice, but the party's underlying policy is still outlined in their policy documents.

I'm not writing them (Cons) off and I am a member of their party, but I don't think they would have been any better than the Liberals for our sector if they were in the hot seat these last 18 months. Conservatives do hate bail outs after all.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Anyone but Trudeau indeed. I'll likely vote Conservative, yes, they mentioned in the past of open skies, one can hope they'll back down from that, and realize the risk to Canadian jobs and airlines, and it's not in their current plan. They did mention support for airlines, but that's been covered already, so not sure why they have that in there.

What I did notice, is they want to move ahead with CANZUK. Basically the freedom to live, work, school in Canada, UK, AUS, NZ, which IMO, is they way it should've been. I'm sure there will be a good number interested in that. Post-covid (if we get there), UK aviation job-wise is a mess after the Brexit, not sure it'll recover anytime soon. An airline in Australia was sponsoring visas pre covid. So there could be some additional flying jobs from us Canadians, and vise versa. What that means for T&C's here is to be seen.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

RRJetPilot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:59 am This is old.

Page 11

I’m not sure your bosses will be too thrilled about this. They may have to reduce employee compensation to account for it if they are to survive, or refuse aid altogether.
Support will be conditional on airlines agreeing to provide refunds to customers whose flights they cancelled, ending layoffs, restoring regional routes, allowing travel agents to maintain commissions collected for cancelled travel, and banning executive bonuses until the support is repaid.
Gabor Lukacs will be thrilled. Will you?
We will also pass legislation implementing strong protection of passengers’ rights based on the EU system. Among other things, this will make it clear that passengers are entitled to full refunds - not vouchers - when an airline cancels a flight and doesn’t offer an alternative.
Where it gets really scary though is their foreign policy. Moving an embassy to Jerusalem and basing Israel’s right to exist on Biblical evidence (archaeological evidence says that the Levant belonged to Egypt 5000 years ago… no Moses, not that way!!). More of that American style Religious Right nonsense that has corrupted the Conservatives for 20 years.

This will throw gasoline on the fire and maybe we will have yet another PM hiding in a closet?

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

‘Bob’ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:37 pm

Where it gets really scary though is their foreign policy. Moving an embassy to Jerusalem and basing Israel’s right to exist on Biblical evidence (archaeological evidence says that the Levant belonged to Egypt 5000 years ago… no Moses, not that way!!). More of that American style Religious Right nonsense that has corrupted the Conservatives for 20 years.

This will throw gasoline on the fire and maybe we will have yet another PM hiding in a closet?
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought it was just the Greens that were intent on meddling with things in the middle East that they don't fully understand.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

330heavy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:29 am one can hope they'll back down from that, and realize the risk to Canadian jobs and airlines
you do realize that 'hope' is not a plan.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

If you elect the Liberals they will kill our industry in the name of climate change. If you elect the NDP they are likely to do the same and to tax you into near poverty while mandating that airlines hire anyone other than straight white men. If you elect the Conservatives you are likely to get open skies, which means that you will have to unionize and fight.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Looks like Ac is flying libs and cons.

Trying to play both sides I see :lol:

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Aga Khan.
SNC-Lavaliin.
Blackface.
WE charity.
Kokanee grope.
C-10.
Admiral Norman.
Mr. Dressup visits India and brings a convicted criminal with him.
Minister's who have lied about their qualifications but are still in their cabinet post.
Head of Armed forces accused in sexual harassment.
Governor General.
No budget for 2 years.
Wilful obstruction of any and all investigations into all these events and more.

Is this really the person you want running your country? Is it? Because if it is, then you deserve any shit he hands out.

Saying, "Ya, but the other guys said (blank) or did (blank) 8 years ago" when they were lead by someone who isn't running and hasn't ruled the party since 2015, isn't having a valid argument about why your support of Trudeau is sensible. It's not... it's an emotional connection to his family name or to a non-existent idea that the Liberals are good for or care about anyone but themselves.

It is past time to give the Liberal Party a time out to go sit in the corner and think about what they have done.

Remember (I know you don't) when they said they were going to run a more transparent and open government? Well, they are actually worse than the Conservatives ever were. I'm not anti-liberal, but I sure as hell can not, in any good conscience, support the current leadership... and by that I mean everyone associated with the PMO, as in the entire cabinet. These people have supported scandal after scandal. And while people here looked on with confusion at how the American's could possibly elect and support Trump, We (people of Ontario) are doing the exact same thing with Trudeau. A dishonest, law breaking, dictator admiring, self-proclaimed king with delusions of grandeur.

It is time for someone new. New can be scary but anything, and I mean anything, would be better than what we have now. How could anyone possibly be worse? And you know what... whoever we elect to get rid of Trudeau, we can replace in 5 years time when the next election happens.

If you vote Liberal in this election, you are not voting based on policy or competency... you are only voting for a name that you like and nothing else.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 am Aga Khan.
SNC-Lavaliin.
Blackface.
WE charity.
Kokanee grope.
C-10.
Admiral Norman.
Minister's who have lied about their qualifications but are still in their cabinet post.
Governor General.
No budget for 2 years.
Wilful obstruction of any and all investigations into all these events and more.
Does anyone really give a shit about any of those things? SNC got what they wanted after all:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5401353

It never made sense to bar them from public contracts for 10 years.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:58 am
Does anyone really give a shit about any of those things? SNC got what they wanted after all:
Everyone outside of Quebec and Ontario does. You know, the rest of the country.

Personally, I expect better from the people who want to run the nation than any of this. If you don't... well... you deserve what you get.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:00 am
Everyone outside of Quebec and Ontario does. You know, the rest of the country.

Personally, I expect better from the people who want to run the nation than any of this. If you don't... well... you deserve what you get.
You mean, people outside Quebec would like a Quebec company with 52000 employees to go bankrupt? No, I don't think so.

How did you feel about electing a leader who used 18k of his party's money for his kids' private school?

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

GST holiday for Canadian retailers if OToole is elected.

https://www.conservative.ca/conservativ ... t-holiday/

That’s going to balance the budget for sure.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mach1 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 am Aga Khan.
SNC-Lavaliin.
Blackface.
WE charity.
Kokanee grope.
C-10.
Admiral Norman.
Governor General.
No budget for 2 years.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudea ... -1.5401353

It never made sense to bar them from public contracts for 10 years.
Next, to recieve OAS/CPP payments, will require written attestation to Liberal “values”.

No, that could never happen here…oh wait…

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

‘Bob’ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm GST holiday for Canadian retailers if OToole is elected.

“The budget will balance itself” ~ Justin Trudeau

How’s that working out so far? :weedman: :toimonster:

Let’s Go Brandon
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:00 pm
‘Bob’ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:15 pm GST holiday for Canadian retailers if OToole is elected.

“The budget will balance itself” ~ Justin Trudeau

How’s that working out so far? :weedman: :toimonster:
Budget will balance by only mandating government support payments to liberal supporters.

Return to “General Comments”