Do people still drive cross country to drop off resume's?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rwy17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Do people still drive cross country to drop off resume's?

Post by Rwy17 »

I've heard plenty of stories about how young pilots would drive across the country to drop off resume's in search of their first job, or during times of trouble where jobs are hard to come by. Is this something that's still done?

Would love to hear some success and unsuccessful stories to learn the positives and negatives of doing a trip like this.
---------- ADS -----------

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Do people still drive cross country to drop off resume's?

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Rwy17 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:40 pm I've heard plenty of stories about how young pilots would drive across the country to drop off resume's in search of their first job, or during times of trouble where jobs are hard to come by. Is this something that's still done?

Would love to hear some success and unsuccessful stories to learn the positives and negatives of doing a trip like this.
Ever since the internet has become so integral to our lives, that process really hasn't been necessary.

Some jobs will only go to people who show their faces, and some people have very shitty resumes, so yes, that is something that is still done, but less common these days I would assume.

Sailtime
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sailtime »

Well, it can help. You just never know what will happen. Years ago I had a "walk-in" doing just that in YQT. Nice chap and reasonable resume but I just didn't have anything open and wished him luck. He was off heading westbound...

I then walked into my office and answered the phone. It was another pilot submitting his resignation. My NEXT call was to the guy was barely out of our parking lot. He was back in the office pretty quick!

You just never know what the future will bring....

Bavros
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bavros »

My emailed resumes weren't getting any bites so I did my road trip in 2016, got interviewed on the spot at multiple places, and 2 job offers on twin turbines in the first 2 days. I drove YYZ-YQT stopping at cysb along the way, did not need to continue westbound after YQT . Roughly 1600 TT at that time.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Did this twice in my career, if nothing else it really is the best way to experience just how large our country really is. Leaving from Southern Ontario the first time I was offered a seasonal job by the time I was passing through Saskatoon, the next year I didn't make it past Winnipeg before getting an offer. That first one was the hardest to get and at the time being there in person was the leg up a low timer needed.

ellinas
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ellinas »

More than 15 years ago I did a road trip starting from Southern Ontario and as I reached Elliot Lake I dropped into a float operator with a 185 and he offered me a job for the rest of the summer. He told me he never hired anyone from just a resume but wanted that face to face communication.

You just never know

if you are on the ground I guess there is now way but to look up!
helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

The road trip requires the candidate to be doing well enough to be able to pay for gas, food, and accommodations. A lot of low time crews aren't able to swing that.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

helicopterray wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:44 am The road trip requires the candidate to be doing well enough to be able to pay for gas, food, and accommodations. A lot of low time crews aren't able to swing that.
100k into a license these days the extra 2-3k for a road trip is nothing.

Dress professional but not suit and tie. If you are applying to a float operator they don’t need some city kid with tight jeans and pointy shoes they want someone ready to work that is also well put together and neat.

readyou5by5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by readyou5by5 »

fish4life wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 am
helicopterray wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:44 am The road trip requires the candidate to be doing well enough to be able to pay for gas, food, and accommodations. A lot of low time crews aren't able to swing that.
Wow is that the going rate for a CPL M/E IFR now?!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Rwy17 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:40 pm I've heard plenty of stories about how young pilots would drive across the country to drop off resume's in search of their first job, or during times of trouble where jobs are hard to come by. Is this something that's still done?

JFC! How the hell can you correctly pluralize all of the underlined words, yet still manage to add the apostrophe to resumes? :roll:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

North Shore wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:47 pm

JFC! How the hell can you correctly pluralize all of the underlined words, yet still manage to add the apostrophe to resumes? :roll:
That’s just l’accent aigu falling off the ‘é’.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

readyou5by5 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:08 pm
fish4life wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:20 am
Wow is that the going rate for a CPL M/E IFR now?!
Certainly can be if you do it at some schools (BCIT etc). Smaller schools/flying clubs I’d count on $50-70k. I agree that even though that’s a lot of money, a lot of newly minted cpl’s really won’t have the extra cash for a road trip.

Redmud
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Redmud »

Back in the day, I drove from Prince Rupert to Halifax and back to Van. Island. Saw the country, met some nice people along the way and also met a few not so nice guys... it’s a great trip, slept in my car and ate at truck stops - great breakfasts... made some new friends and got a taste of Canadian aviation! Go do it, you wont regret it!
Red

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 am Apply to Jazz it is a great company.

Salary here if you need it.
[YouTube] https://youtu.be/ZnYFy1c8Uyg[/YouTube]
Please stop using AvCanada to shill your wannabe-pilot-influencer YouTube account.

Besides that, Jazz isn't hiring right now, why would you encourage him to apply there?

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

CaptainKirk wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 am Apply to Jazz it is a great company.

Salary here if you need it.
[YouTube] https://youtu.be/ZnYFy1c8Uyg[/YouTube]
Killer advice for a 200hr pilot.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Good god the dreaded road trip. Are people really still going to 703 outfits dropping off pizza's with their resume stapled to it??

ThatGuyHoldingShort
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThatGuyHoldingShort »

ellinas wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:46 pm More than 15 years ago I did a road trip starting from Southern Ontario and as I reached Elliot Lake I dropped into a float operator with a 185 and he offered me a job for the rest of the summer. He told me he never hired anyone from just a resume but wanted that face to face communication.

You just never know
That's how it use to be. Pretty much all low time bush operators would receive tons of resumes weekly but the face to face is what was important. You showing that you know what you're getting into. Seeing first hand the people and community you'll be spending the next 3 years in. That's something a kid from YYZ with internet can't experience.
Got lucky enough to get my first gig by driving across. Those experiences were shitty at the time and to be honest I don't regret any of them!

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I did 14,000 km on the road meeting chief pilots and dropping off resumes and it landed me a job. An email doesn't let them know who you are and if they or their pilots and staff will like you.

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

In-person beats an e-mail every time. Be genuine, dress neat and clean. Have good breath and hygiene. Clean and trim your finger nails. Signed,..your Mom.

Return to “General Comments”