New pilots nowadays

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fokker100
Rank 0
Rank 0

New pilots nowadays

Post by Fokker100 »

Hey guys, a bit of off topic for this group but since this a Canadian aviation group and there's lots of CPL holders here...

I've a question for you:

Let's be realistic, you won't be getting a flying job out if school with 200TT/MULTI/IFR/NIGHT.

I've tried everything,yes, I don't have an aviation dipoma, any diploma at all only high school. But I have mates who does, along with 1000TT, this is a sad reality

Which options do we have, Africa ? Philippines? Can we (CPL holders of the group) fly abroad
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: New pilots nowadays

Post by C-GGGQ »

Wait a few months. I was talking with out training coordinator the other day saying 2022 will be the year of “initials” at 703’s as in not a single FO recurrent will get done as every FO will have either moved on, or been upgraded. Once the hiring starts its going to be brutal (for operators)

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If you can't make it work in Canada, it's unlikely you'll find something somewhere else.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

C-GGGQ wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:06 pm Wait a few months. I was talking with out training coordinator the other day saying 2022 will be the year of “initials” at 703’s as in not a single FO recurrent will get done as every FO will have either moved on, or been upgraded. Once the hiring starts its going to be brutal (for operators)

:up:

This

And you don't need hacks with You Tube channels to get straight talk about what will happen soon enough.

Turboprops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Turboprops »

Ramp sucks but it seems like the way to go, for now at least.
Skycare hired quite a few ramp/part time pilot a month or two ago. Perimeter brought a few rampies to flight line as well.
If things don’t go backwards you should have an excellent chance of finding a flying job next year.

PylotWolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PylotWolf »

I agree. Better get good at firing and field stripping that Kalashnikov because you will need it when shooting at the rebels from the cockpit window of come clapped out DC3 in the middle of nowhere.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

PylotWolf wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:14 pm I agree. Better get good at firing and field stripping that Kalashnikov because you will need it when shooting at the rebels from the cockpit window of come clapped out DC3 in the middle of nowhere.
What an asinine comment! Evidently you have never flown in Africa or abroad.

To the OP:

Yes you can fly abroad with your CPL as long as you can obtain a licence validation from the GCA there. Many of us have done so in the past. Although I would tend to agree with the projected hiring trend in Canada for 2022 that others have mentioned, I wouldn’t trade my past overseas experience for the world!

Best of luck to you,

TPC

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Fokker100 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm Hey guys, a bit of off topic for this group but since this a Canadian aviation group and there's lots of CPL holders here...

I've a question for you:

Let's be realistic, you likely won't be getting a flying job out if school with 200TT/MULTI/IFR/NIGHT in this current market.

I've tried everything,yes, I don't have an aviation dipoma, any diploma at all only high school. But I have mates who does, along with 1000TT, this is a sad reality

Which options do we have, Africa ? Philippines? Can we (CPL holders of the group) fly abroad
Fixed that for you. It's never impossible, even at the worst of times. Timing and attitude are everything. Trust me on this. Good luck to all who are on the hunt.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Go ramp somewhere that flies small piston aircraft. Bring a good attitude and you’ll probably be flying by Christmas.

Everyone wants to go work ramp at the most popular places with the biggest airplanes but supply and demand works against them when it comes to management staffing the planes. A company with a 206 or Navajo or really anything on floats (make sure they fly on wheels/skis all winter!) will probably have you in the cockpit sooner for a multitude of reasons.

Fokker100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fokker100 »

Well guys THANKS TO EVERYONE who commented so far, is always good to check other points of view, each of the comments have helped me.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Well there are opportunities out there, but you may need a little bit more than the absolute minimum:

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=148569

Can Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Can Pilot »

Things should turn around soon and the free jobs ad page will be flush again with entry and mid level jobs. 200 hours and a good work ethic/attitude and a bit of luck will once again land someone in the right seat.
In this market having a few less hours may benefit you. There are a few examples on the job ads where 500-1000 hours is all they are looking for.
Most 703/704 outfits are not looking for guys who are higher time/furloughed. They are looking for pilots who will be able to put in atleast a few years to build hours. Have patience and if you can find a ramp job in this environment I would suggest that to get your foot in the door.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Instructor rating, glider towing, pipeline patrol & jumper dumper.

Above all else, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time. I realize that may sound discouraging or glib, but it is true. Networking helps; get to know people in the industry and make sure you name is known (in a good way)

jnoon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jnoon »

Apply to a northern 703 or 704 with caravans, pc12s or navajos. Work the ramp for 2 weeks to 6 months. Have a good attitude and strong work ethic. You'll be in the the cockpit in no time

dALre
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dALre »

Definitely getting better.
My company is NWO 703 operator and now we all are seeing far busier schedule than pre-COVID.
2022 would be hack of year for both pilots and operators.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Chill out guys, from an old f**ker who is retired but still has a retirement flying job.

It's all about luck and timing. Nobody in this world can control or predict that.

The previous generation to me just happened to be born at a certain date. The big red, ''air canada'', were scouting and hiring 200 hour types. Same for every other air operator of the day.

After that generation, life as an airplane driver became rather hard.

9/11, well we all know that, tons of people are out of luck.

covid, same thing, but that will be fixed. There is a pent up demand for travel. It will come back.

And the previous generation to the previous generation, you can become a pilot alright, your life expectancy in a spitfire was something like 30 days.

So take it all in stride and roll with the changes. Things change all the time.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
lowandoverit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lowandoverit »

Fokker100 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm Hey guys, a bit of off topic for this group but since this a Canadian aviation group and there's lots of CPL holders here...

I've a question for you:

Let's be realistic, you won't be getting a flying job out if school with 200TT/MULTI/IFR/NIGHT.

Honestly man don not worry right now no need to leave the country just yet, things will change in 2022. AC and WQ have not hired in two years while retirement has continued at both. Despite the fly forever program that WQ has for the over 65 crowd. Meaning that when demand quickly comes back in 2022 both the big guys will be short of pilots once again, the rumour is that the regional airlines will start hiring in January. Also if that does not settle your nerves remember that Porter just bought 80 jets and that will very very likely bring back the pilot shortage if it has not already happened.

Hang tight do not despair yet. The next decade will belong to pilots. haha

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Watch Captain Kirk videos. He will tell you how easy it really is!

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

You could petition your federal candidate to stop foreign pilots from taking your future job.

Return to “General Comments”