Christen Eagle II or an RV14A??

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GeneralT001
Rank 0
Rank 0

Christen Eagle II or an RV14A??

Post by GeneralT001 »

Looking to buy/build a good compromise between a x-country aircraft and an aerobatic aircraft.

Thoughts? Are these 2 good for that category?

Better alternatives?
---------- ADS -----------

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Christen Eagle II or an RV14A??

Post by jamesel »

The Eagle is an Aerobatic airplane that can be flown cross-country. The RV14 is a cross-country machine that can do aerobatics.

The Eagle is capable of competing at the Intermediate contest level and flying at the Advanced level, but it is limited in it's cross-country capabilities. I plan on about 250 NM legs, and 2 soft backpacks for baggage with two people.
Having flown both the RV6 & 7 in competition, I gather the 14 would be able to win at the Sportsman level, and could fly the Intermediate level manoeuvres. It is a very competent cross-country machine, the biggest drawback being it is possibly a bit less stable than is good for an IFR platform.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Better would be a 14 (no A). If you're considering an Eagle anyway, there's no reason to add the collapsing nosewheel.

I agree with everything @jamesel says as well.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

I agree with @jamesel’s comments. When it comes to comfort I’d say RVs are clear winners. So if lots of longer cross country flights are your mission you’ll likely prefer the RV14.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

RV-8 is probably the airplane that’s in the middle of those 2

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

RV8 is what i figure will be the best compromise here. That is what I am planning for.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

There’s an Eagle in Western Canada that has been for sale for a while. I’ve seen it on Barnstormer’s and various facebook groups. I haven’t see it personally, but it looks to be in really good condition from the pictures. The owner is well known in the aerobatic/building community and he looks like he really took care of it. Never met the man personally though.

Good luck.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Buy a Pitts and a Mooney. You'll still have money left, and you will own 2 airplanes specifically built for what you want them to do.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
WarSkunk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WarSkunk »

dumbbell daddy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:56 am There’s an Eagle in Western Canada that has been for sale for a while. I’ve seen it on Barnstormer’s and various facebook groups. I haven’t see it personally mcdvoice, but it looks to be in really good condition from the pictures. The owner is well known in the aerobatic/building community and he looks like he really took care of it. Never met the man personally though.

Good luck.
Having flown both the RV6 & 7 in competition, I gather the 14 would be able to win at the Sportsman level, and could fly the Intermediate level manoeuvres. It is a very competent cross-country machine, the biggest drawback being it is possibly a bit less stable than is good for an IFR platform.

Return to “General Comments”