Pilot Shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Pilot Shortage

Post by DadoBlade »

Pilot shortage? Sure, maybe, depends.. Globally? Locally? Seasonally? Sure, maybe..

Has there ever been a shortage of administrative staff? You know, the people who work Monday to Friday 8:00 to 17:00 and take every second Friday off and have a daily one (1) hour lunch break and four "fifteen minute coffee breaks? Never has there been a declared shortage of the clip-board carrying non-operational types. You know, the ones who interview you. HR types.

The question about a "Pilot shortage" is an on-going forum question IN EVERY AVIATION SITE in the world. Seldom is there a discussion about a "Pilot surplus" or an "Air Traffic Controller shortage" or never ever ever an "Air Traffic Controller surplus". You will never read a headline "Too many Air Traffic Controllers", yet Air Traffic Control administrative positions are always filled. Immediately. My wife was a 37-year career geriatric critical care nurse, terrible job, and there was always a crisis regarding staffing of qualified nurses on her ward. There was never ever a crisis regarding administrative staff. Never. The clip-board carrying Monday-to-Friday 8-to-5 positions are never wanting for staff. Funny that.
---------- ADS -----------

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

It’s almost like people want to do easy jobs during good hours. I bet a lot of those clipboard types were former nurses, pilots, etc.

Pilot surplus? Haven’t you read the news in the last two years. They say layoffs and furloughs. If it’s grain it’s called a bumper crop. If it’s oil it’s called a glut. If it’s nuclear power it’s called a meltdown. Use the right terms.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Rocinante
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rocinante »

As discussed, and oversimplified, with some crew while waiting for the phone to ring on medevac schedule:

All the 300hr wonders with "frozen" atpl's aren't upgradable, if they stayed, they'll be right seat lifers.
Mandatory retirements
Early retirements
Guys saying "screw this noise" to all the extra hassle or federal mandate coming into effect at the end of oct '21.

I'm not saying all of these will result in a SHORTAGE. I'm only suggesting it may result in a shortage (or short-staffing, not shortage like "the before (covid) times") of QUALIFIED / EXPERIENCED personnel - not just pilots.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, maybe I'm just looking at it through rose coloured glasses, since I've been working this entire time.

Return to “General Comments”