Aircraft Group (AGN) Numbers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Aircraft Group (AGN) Numbers

Post by Spandau »

Since my last question generated some valuable discussion and well considered points (I'm not being facetious - thanks to everyone who responded) I'll throw this one out there as it too has caused some head scratching:

I'll use La Ronge, Saskatchewan (CYVC) for this example. Runway 18/36 is assessed as AGN IIIA. Not being a Boeing guy I'll assume that the 737 is a IIIB aircraft type (which I believe it is). Can I legally fly a chartered cargo IIIB aircraft into and out of CYVC assuming that the runway length, etc, etc is adequate?
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Aircraft Group (AGN) Numbers

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Here's some info for you from TP 312 (Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices) that shows the 737 is sized as a IIIA based on wingspan and main gear span, but the approach speed moves it to IIIB.
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.25.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.25.58 AM.png (143.98 KiB) Viewed 823 times
I'm not sure if it's "illegal" to fly into an airport in a IIIB aircraft certified for IIIA.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

Thanks for this. This is kinda the gist of my question - can you fly a IIIB a/c onto a IIIA runway if the runway length, strength, size, etc meets the performance requirements of the a/c?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

The only answer I can find is ambiguous. From the Advisory Circular on Aircraft Group Numbers:

"With the introduction of TP 312 5th, all certified airport operators will be required to amend their Airport Operations Manual to include additional information in addition to submitting an update to the aeronautical publications regarding the certification level of the various parts of the certified aerodromes (airports). This is required so that aircrews may ascertain the aerodrome as being “…suitable for the intended operation” as currently required under 602.96 (2)(b) of the CAR."

602.96 (2)(b) states:

602.96 (2) Before taking off from, landing at or otherwise operating an aircraft at an aerodrome, the pilot-in-command of the aircraft shall be satisfied that
(a) there is no likelihood of collision with another aircraft or a vehicle; and
(b) the aerodrome is suitable for the intended operation.

So, the AGN is determined using TP 312 and is published by the airport operator. If you take a AGN IIIB into an AGN IIIA airport, is that considered unsuitable or suitable? How is it determined? If it's unsuitable, I guess it's a contravention of CARS 602.96 and considered illegal. If the PIC considers it suitable but something happens (runway excursion), I could see them being asked hard questions regarding why they took an aircraft into an airport that doesn't meet the AGN.

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

If you read Advisory Circular (AC) No. 602-005, in 3.0 Background, you see :

"(10) It is recognized that aircraft larger than the published certification level, such as cargo or charter are frequently part of the daily operational mix at an airport. When this occurs, those air operators are advised to contact the airport operator prior to the flight. This is needed so that the airport operator may establish procedures to ensure that the airport certification environment for the scheduled passenger operations is not compromised since this air operation must operate within a certified airport environment as stated in CAR 703.15, 704.14, and 705.19."

So...???

At first glance it almost reads like "You can bring in whatever... so long as you don't interfere with any of the Skeds".

Return to “General Comments”