Time builders

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Powerlength
Rank 0
Rank 0

Time builders

Post by Powerlength »

Good day,

Just curious as to companies that have opportunity for time building in southern Alberta. Preferable Calgary region. I have roughly 1500 hours but my PIC time is still sitting around 100 hours. Any ideas for companies to send a resume to in this genera area would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Time builders

Post by EPR »

How in the hell did you end up with such a disparity of hours?

Keep the dirty side down.
‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Pilot shortage. Good times. No flying a 172 doing pipeline or 206 dropping meat bombs. Straight into the right seat of a turboprop and all your fairytale dreams come true!

Don’t worry about PICUS. This shortage is going to last foooooor evah. Maybe they might make you captain without your As because they’re so desperate.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 702pipeliner »

Fortunately best decision ever made was turning down a Be20 fo position to go pipelining.

To answer the subject would look into clearGrid as they maybe the only guys to take guys from the street to the seat. Lots of places still need you to observe as survey isn't always ask straight forward as people like to think.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

702pipeliner wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:12 am Fortunately best decision ever made was turning down a Be20 fo position to go pipelining.

To answer the subject would look into clearGrid as they maybe the only guys to take guys from the street to the seat. Lots of places still need you to observe as survey isn't always ask straight forward as people like to think.
Yeah I've seen some guys and gals lose total SA on and off the line or struggle hard setting up the grid for the day. Not to mention the low level coordination and concentration off autopilot for 7+ hours that's required (I'm referring more to magnetic survey work).

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

It’s easy to say from some high time furlough airline pilot…

Since March 2020, the market has been flooded with high time pilots taking the direct entry left seats in the 703 world, leaving a bunch of 1500+ hrs F/O stuck in their position. Things are starting to move again fortunately, so those candidates will progress.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

That does not follow.

Even if movement was very fast, he is not upgradable without an ATPL and/or PIC time. That was the whole point of DEC at many companies in the first place: zero upgradable candidates due to the shortage and turnover.

Had he rented a 150 for 50 hours to qualify for PICUS, or done what most of us who grew up in another time did and waited until he had 250 hours of single engine PIC before moving on, shortage or surplus he wouldn’t be in this position.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

I feel like quite a few folks in the OPs position are gonna have to go backwards in a sense. That is, instead of getting 500 hours in a cessna or beaver or whatever and then moving to the right seat of a turboprop, they're gonna be in exactly this dude's spot - or worse - and have to go back to that single engine flying to get those hours. I know a few people who have around 3000 hours, and less than 250 hours PIC. And the trouble is for them, I think, that a lot of operators are gonna know they just want 200 hours of PIC or whatever, and will be more inclined to hire a younger/less experienced pilot who will stick around longer. I'm sure glad I didn't hop straight into the right seat of something. I'm certainly of the opinion that those pilots that start the old fashioned way and get 500-1000 hours of pic time end up as better pilots. For the OP, my best guess would be send out a resume to every company with pipeline survey that you can find. Otherwise I think further away is your best bet.

Return to “General Comments”