Hmmmmmm

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Hmmmmmm

Post by PitchLink »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:30 pm
Heliian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am What do you expect, it's an entry level job.

You paid for your CPL and now you need a job to gain experience. How much should we pay a zero timer with no skills?
This.

I don’t get why this is so hard for anyone to understand. Having a freshly minted pilots license doesn’t make one a pilot, just places one in a (disgusting) larvae like state between a student and a fully productive individual, much like new MBA’s.
New mba’s make a hare more than $20/hr in a non safety sensitive environment
---------- ADS -----------

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I’m not in the aviation industry but I am a millwright in the Grain industry on the west coast.
Starting wage is $38.00,no skills required.full benefits & a pension if you stay long enough.
Our current tradespeople make anywhere from $45 to $50 per hour.
Work schedule is 6 on & 3 off,8 hour day - 3 shifts.
Kids where I work wouldn’t even get out of bed for $20 per hour.

Daryl

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

BGH wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm I’m not in the aviation industry but I am a millwright in the Grain industry on the west coast.
Starting wage is $38.00,no skills required.full benefits & a pension if you stay long enough.

Daryl
But teen girls don’t ooohh and ahhh to millwrights in the mall, as new FO’s think will happen when they wear those 3 bar uniforms into clothing stores……

Last edited by rookiepilot on Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

BGH wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 pm I’m not in the aviation industry but I am a millwright in the Grain industry on the west coast.

Daryl
YUP, that’s what a REAL industry does to retain and attract a strong workforce. Aviation pathetically, knows there’s always going to be some bottom of the barrel pilot or ame that will take the next vacancy no matter how strained the supply may be. The business model for most in Canada is the revolving door.

I literally had a colleague that I ran into this past summer on fires that owns a large operator in western Canada tell me “two years is all I want out of anyone, fixing or flying, after that they want more money”. He further extrapolated that “pilots are a dime a dozen and ames are just parts changers”. I considered him a good guy until those words crossed his lips. He clearly drank the coolaide…

Last edited by PitchLink on Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I sure pissed off my 737 captain friend back in the early 80’s when I made the same money as him- didn’t get ahead of me until he stepped up to the 767 ; his income doubled mine when he went to the 747-400.
I am happy sleeping in my own bed every night & many want to talk to me about owning my own Cessna 185 at 23,which I still own 38 years later.

Daryl

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

BGH wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:28 pm I sure pissed off my 737 captain friend back in the early 80’s when I made the same money as him- didn’t get ahead of me until he stepped up to the 767 ; his income doubled mine when he went to the 747-400.
I am happy sleeping in my own bed every night & many want to talk to me about owning my own Cessna 185 at 23,which I still own 38 years later.

Daryl
That’s definitely important. I worked on the road for years but I made sure I was paid for it. This $20/hr business is laughable in 2021. Any employer offering that is part of the problem with this industry. Doesn’t matter if it’s $2/hr someone will do it, and they f’n well know it. It sets the bar that much higher for anyone wanting to do this for an honest living. This industry is its own worst enemy.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

garfield wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:29 am They could offer 2$ per hour and get plenty of resumes.
You’re right too , and there are people in this forum that will defend this logic too.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Appears to be a shift in the type of flying at Voyageur these days (at least on the turboprop side), heard they currently only have 1 overseas contract for the Dash 8s (from 4 in the recent past), but they are getting more into domestic freight work with their recent Purolator deal to operate 2 Dashes (second life for those ex-Jazz machines). Working the UN contracts overseas was the lifestyle/schedule and financial draw to being at Voyageur ...night freight for less money, not so much.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

I’ll just leave this here lol

Attachments
B767C949-05BE-47F5-95C5-D57391AAE735.jpeg
B767C949-05BE-47F5-95C5-D57391AAE735.jpeg (121.98 KiB) Viewed 3083 times
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Want the type rating and the experience? Want to go to Air Canada? Then fucking do it and smile the whole time. Don't "want to"? Someone else gets your seat at Jazz etc etc
It is a sorry state of affairs but that is the industry. Low margins, lots of staff available. What do people want? Respect? Good pay on your way to the top? Ain't gonna happen.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

ayseven wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:39 pm Want the type rating and the experience? Want to go to Air Canada? Then fucking do it and smile the whole time. Don't "want to"? Someone else gets your seat at Jazz etc etc
It is a sorry state of affairs but that is the industry. Low margins, lots of staff available. What do people want? Respect? Good pay on your way to the top? Ain't gonna happen.
Sore knees and soft lips approach eh? Ya no thanks. Another validation of how f’d the industry is.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

PitchLink wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:56 am I’ll just leave this here lol
That's 21 Freedom Dollars... equivalent to 26 loons.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

ayseven wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:39 pm Want the type rating and the experience? Want to go to Air Canada? Then fucking do it and smile the whole time. Don't "want to"? Someone else gets your seat at Jazz etc etc
As true as all of that is given the f'ed state of the industry, nothing will change until people don't take this shit. I hope they just hear crickets

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Too many pilots. Not enough good paying jobs. I don't think people should have to put up with it either, but it is still dog eat dog, and if there is one person more ambitious than you, your career is stuffed and he goes to Air Canada.

And another thing... Is this job in North Bay or some other metropolis and not Armstrong ON or Pickle Lake etc? If so, bonus. There is so much worse out there, and I don't want to slight the hunting and fishing crowd but those places are not life but jail to me.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

ayseven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:56 am Too many pilots. Not enough good paying jobs. I don't think people should have to put up with it either, but it is still dog eat dog, and if there is one person more ambitious than you, your career is stuffed and he goes to Air Canada.

And another thing... Is this job in North Bay or some other metropolis and not Armstrong ON or Pickle Lake etc? If so, bonus. There is so much worse out there, and I don't want to slight the hunting and fishing crowd but those places are not life but jail to me.
Very true. It's a passion driven industry not unlike acting or becoming a pro athlete so supply will always exceed demand and wages will remain low for the majority.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

scdriver wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:08 pm
As true as all of that is given the f'ed state of the industry, nothing will change until people don't take this shit. I hope they just hear crickets
There will always be that one idiot that will bend over and take it. There needs to be regulation on all rates in this industry, this is insanity what’s happening these days.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:12 am
ayseven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:56 am Too many pilots. Not enough good paying jobs. I don't think people should have to put up with it either, but it is still dog eat dog, and if there is one person more ambitious than you, your career is stuffed and he goes to Air Canada.

Very true. It's a passion driven industry not unlike acting or becoming a pro athlete so supply will always exceed demand and wages will remain low for the majority.
That’s exactly why this “pilot shortage” issue pre and post pandemic is such a farce, there’s never been a shortage and never will be.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

The career is a tough one and anybody who says it was easy on the way up is not telling you the truth. Personally I quit to pursue more money and stability and now it is too late. I have no regrets and neither should the kid who sucks it up and gets on with it.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

ayseven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:04 am The career is a tough one and anybody who says it was easy on the way up is not telling you the truth. Personally I quit to pursue more money and stability and now it is too late. I have no regrets and neither should the kid who sucks it up and gets on with it.
“Sucks it up” about sums it up. And that kid like most will regret it

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 am There needs to be regulation on all rates in this industry, this is insanity what’s happening these days.
There are regulations, they are called employment standards and apply across the board, to everybody in all industries. Some industries are subject to the federal standards, others to provincial, which can vary somewhat from province to province.

I'm curious, are you suggesting that this industry is somehow special, and should get preferential treatment over all others for some reason ? I'd be real curious to know what the reason is. What makes these folks so special that they need rules over and above what applies to the rest of the population ?

Return to “General Comments”