Hmmmmmm

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hmmmmmm

Post by PilotY »

See image.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
A0CD540F-27BE-42C1-B152-208089AE42EA.jpeg
A0CD540F-27BE-42C1-B152-208089AE42EA.jpeg (165.02 KiB) Viewed 7495 times
RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hmmmmmm

Post by RegionalPilot »

No need to hide who it is… Voyageur in North Bay, ON

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I didn't believe it so I looked it up and... its there but I still don't believe it... and I certainly don't understand why anyone would chase that, this isn't 2001. Gov't is giving better pay to sit at home in your basement on what ever variation of the CERB we're on right now.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Like is that per flight hour? On top of a base salary? A salary of “40 hours a week”? Not excusing it, but that seems very vague?

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I actually have a question regarding wages in relation to flight hours… Would it be legal for a company to pay minimum wage per flight hour? We’re always told to not look at the hourly wage for a pilot but how much you’ll end up doing at the end of the year. Let’s assume a minimum wage of 14$ x 850 hours a year. Is there anything that prevents a company from doing something that stupid? We don’t consider pre/post flight in our airline salary, do we…?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 pm I actually have a question regarding wages in relation to flight hours… Would it be legal for a company to pay minimum wage per flight hour? We’re always told to not look at the hourly wage for a pilot but how much you’ll end up doing at the end of the year. Let’s assume a minimum wage of 14$ x 850 hours a year. Is there anything that prevents a company from doing something that stupid? We don’t consider pre/post flight in our airline salary, do we…?
I don’t believe so. Keep in mind that a full-time position is defined as working 40 hours per week. That means that they’d be required to pay you $14 x 40 = $560 per week, or $29,120 per year.

Using your situation, $14 x 850 gives only $11,900 per year, or less than half of what would be considered minimum annual salary for a full-time position. This is why airlines like Jazz, for example, pay their new-hire FAs ~$21/hour depending on what province they’re based in. When you factor in a 900-hour year, it allows them to meet the respective provincial minimum wage requirement based on an annual salary.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Yikes, I made more than that when I started instructing in a little Cessna 15+ years ago. Probably flew more too.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Back in my day…. ….we paid cash for a PPC and worked for free. And we liked it that way.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

That's unbelievable. I made more than that per duty hour flying a 180 my first year.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Voyageur Airways brings industry wages to a new low.

Post by ‘Bob’ »

This title needs fixing.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

PilotY wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 pmSee image.
And someone will do it…… the downward spiral is abysmal in Canada’s aviation industry. These rates should be illegal 🌀 🚽

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

They could offer 2$ per hour and get plenty of resumes.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

As always, if you don't like it, then don't apply; if no-one does so, then they'll be forced to raise their compensation...
OTOH, some little snotnose will probably do so, whine about the pay for a year (or whatever the bond time is) and then fox oscar to Jazz and then Air Canada, where they can tell tales of having paid their dues in the industry...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Bil Derberg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bil Derberg »

Invertago wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 pm I didn't believe it so I looked it up and... its there but I still don't believe it... and I certainly don't understand why anyone would chase that, this isn't 2001. Gov't is giving better pay to sit at home in your basement on what ever variation of the CERB we're on right now.
Any one who is thirstywho just wants their foot in the door in their post-instructing job is gunna get on their knees for that job. Sad but true.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

What do you expect, it's an entry level job.

You paid for your CPL and now you need a job to gain experience. How much should we pay a zero timer with no skills?

It's like this everywhere now with most industries, everyone wants top dollar for nothing, entitled whiners. That's not how the world actually works, you need to earn a living, get experience and prove yourself valuable.

CYERCaptainPooping
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYERCaptainPooping »

Does anyone know if they will hire anyone with less than 1000hr total time. I applied and haven’t heard back yet?

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heliian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am What do you expect, it's an entry level job.

You paid for your CPL and now you need a job to gain experience. How much should we pay a zero timer with no skills?

It's like this everywhere now with most industries, everyone wants top dollar for nothing, entitled whiners. That's not how the world actually works, you need to earn a living, get experience and prove yourself valuable.
And that kind of attitude is exactly why this industry will never progress to skill/equity that it actually is. You sound like someone tied to a low end aerosexual flight school. $20/hr. You live on that wage after spending 100k for a license. First year heavy duty apprentices make 30/hr, you’re delusional. What little credibility you may have had you completely flushed with this ridiculous post.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

PitchLink wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:29 pm
Heliian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 am What do you expect, it's an entry level job.

And that kind of attitude is exactly why this industry will never progress to skill/equity that it actually is. You sound like someone tied to a low end aerosexual flight school. $20/hr. You live on that wage after spending 100k for a license. First year heavy duty apprentices make 30/hr, you’re delusional. What little credibility you may have had you completely flushed with this ridiculous post.
Not delusional thanks, just a realist.
How many years of schooling does a heavy mechanic do? Their skillsets are way beyond that of a pilot also and they're expected to actually put in physical work in shitty conditions.

Low wages are no good, I get it but getting riled up for a company offering a minimum starting wage of $20, which is several dollars above the legal minimum wage doesn't seem that bad. Especially if they're going to train you as part of the job, remember training bonds?

As always, there's plenty of other work out there if you don't like it. Heck, live on the dole the rest of your life, that's a real moneymaker :roll:

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

This.

I don’t get why this is so hard for anyone to understand. Having a freshly minted pilots license doesn’t make one a pilot, just places one in a (disgusting) larvae like state between a student and a fully productive individual, much like new MBA’s.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heliian wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:58 pm
PitchLink wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:29 pm

Not delusional thanks, just a realist.
How many years of schooling does a heavy mechanic do? Their skillsets are way beyond that of a pilot also and they're expected to actually put in physical work in shitty conditions.

Low wages are no good, I get it but getting riled up for a company offering a minimum starting wage of $20, which is several dollars above the legal minimum wage doesn't seem that bad. Especially if they're going to train you as part of the job, remember training bonds?

As always, there's plenty of other work out there if you don't like it. Heck, live on the dole the rest of your life, that's a real moneymaker :roll:

Yes there’s lots of work out there, and I’m always busy. To what “dole” you’re referring to I have no clue, but it seems to be the only alternative you think of when anyone points out crap wages and voices some kind of concern and self worth as a TC regulated profession.

The HET trade is approximately 8000hours, four terms of 8 weeks of school between years. Quite in line with an ame license which, by the way is regulated for wage based on percentage of fully licensed per year of apprenticeship, where ames are not, it’s just whatever employers offer or negotiate (in Canada).
As for a PILOTS LICENSE it’s 100 or 200hrs and 1-2 years of school depending which avenue you go, and a five figure investment that needs to make someone a living. Let alone additional ratings (IFR, mountain course, etc.) I don’t think it’s out of line to expect reasonable pay when there’s minimum requirements the employer is listing. But supply and demand, free trade and bilateral agreements etc……. Lots of TFW’s flying and fixing this past summer…

As for shitty conditions?!?!? The only ones I’ve endured were that of working on airplanes and helicopters in Canada! As a red seal HET I can honestly say I’ve never worked in worse conditions than I did as an ame or in the flying game here on domestic soil.

As for the training, every professional industry invests in their employees, more so than aviation, and doesn’t shame their employees for sending them for professional development like this industry does. Recurrent and initial training is whats needed for employees to be productive, it’s a cost of doing business, real organizations with (properly educated) management know this.

This isn’t “entitlement” this is pointing out that the starting line for such a huge investment in time, money, and responsibility should at least be fair in the beginning. Being a 100 or 200 hour pilot isn’t nothing, and until that attitude changes (I don’t think it ever will in Canada) downward spiral of low wages will continue on. It’s like a disease here ffs.

So $20/hr huh? Good talk

Last edited by PitchLink on Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “General Comments”