Syncrude

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

702pipeliner
Rank 2
Rank 2

Syncrude

Post by 702pipeliner »

Heard rumors that they may have shut down. Was wondering if anyone new for sure?

Something a little while ago on the radio out of YYC that it was "their last flight"
---------- ADS -----------

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Syncrude

Post by NovaBoy »

Yes, the flight dept has closed down.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That's terrible news. They have been a staple in northern Ab aviation for as long as I've been flying. Hopefully the crews can get hired elsewhere.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Is the aircraft shifting to a management company or is this the end all together?

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Yes it was tough news to get the word of the department closing. No better schedule that I know of to raise a family, home every night (lots of golf) and work with some really good people. The model changed for how passengers were moved back and forth from YYC and YEG and that was all.

I hope to bounce back into aviation quick, Suncor has a nice fancy machine…..just saying! I really enjoyed coming to work every day, What a good run we had.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

C208 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 am Yes it was tough news to get the word of the department closing. No better schedule that I know of to raise a family, home every night (lots of golf) and work with some really good people. The model changed for how passengers were moved back and forth from YYC and YEG and that was all.

I hope to bounce back into aviation quick, Suncor has a nice fancy machine…..just saying! I really enjoyed coming to work every day, What a good run we had.

A hard kind of gig to find in Canada these days. Sorry to hear. Is the aircraft sold then or?

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Great question I do not know that answer. However they were meticulously maintained and have new engines. Higher time airframes but if they had some fresh paint and updated interior, for the right low time flyer there might not be a better set of twins.

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

C208 what does this have to do with anything? “ Suncor has a nice fancy machine…..just saying!” “ The model changed for how passengers were moved back and forth from YYC and YEG and that was all.” this sounds like what happened to there very own department 5 years ago.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Very sorry to hear, gut punch for sure. Similar happened to me early’80s, all got called in mid morning, and that afternoon we were toast, had a house, wife and toddler. Luckily wife had her nursing degree and was full time ICU and did clinical instruction on the side. I became a stay at home dad for over a year, doing all the household stuff, me and my little sweetie of two had a grand time- we still talk about it with her and their couple of kids. Things fell into place for us and was able to move on- even got university educated. Quality chaps like yourself C208 will find your way back into aviation. I did. :D

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

It was a hint he wants a job at Suncor

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Liftdump wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:55 pm It was a hint he wants a job at Suncor
It sure does, Liftdump! ;)

Thanks Old Fella! Some here may have had a feeling this was coming, I was almost waiting for it myself, the bandaid so to speak was ripped off, also we were all called in like just like how you described.
I have a little one on the way too and in fact my wife is a pilot here too. :0. Luckily I have been redeployed out in the mine in a pretty fun job operating boats, icebreakers, dredges, air boats ect. Also a lot of fun.

I’ll be back flying soon! :)

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

Air boats? How cool is that. I’m happy for you and your family to keep the dough rolling in. Make no mistake,jobs will be returning.And with a job in hand you can be picky. Good luck

Return to “General Comments”