Tomorrow, Alberta is voting to end changing our clocks twice a year

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Tomorrow, Alberta is voting to end changing our clocks twice a year

Post by airway »

Tomorrow in Alberta, as part of our Municipal Elections, there will be a binding referendum question about putting an end to changing our clocks twice a year (spring ahead, fall back): Spoiler- Vote YES

Daylight Saving Time
Summer hours (Daylight Saving Time) are the hours we observe in Alberta each year from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November, when we revert to Standard Time.

Referendum question
Albertans will be asked the following question on the ballot:

Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?

Next steps
If a majority of voters in the referendum vote ‘yes,’ the Government of Alberta must take steps to implement the results of the referendum.

A ‘no’ vote means the Government of Alberta will not take further steps and Albertans will continue changing their clocks twice a year.

Regardless of the outcome of the referendum, Albertans will still change their clocks in the fall of 2021 and the spring of 2022. If Albertans vote to adopt summer hours permanently, that change would not happen before fall 2022.

There are actually 2 issues in this one question:

1. Should we stop changing our clocks twice a year?
Absolutely! IMO changing the clocks causes more problems than it fixes for sure.

2. Should we stay on Daylight Saving Time (DST or summer time), or winter time year round? They are only giving us the one option (DST).
There are a few pros and cons on this issue, but being a pilot living in Alberta and flying mostly in western Canada, I think DST(summer) time is the way to go. Then we will be at the same time as Saskatchewan year round, and Manitoba in the winter. Some people don't like the fact that the sun will come up later in the winter, but on the flip side if we went to permanent winter time, the sun is going to come up very early in the summer(when you are asleep) and set earlier, so you don't have as much sun in the evening. Also, BC and the western states are talking about all of them going to permanent DST, so we would be 1 hour different from BC year round.

---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Tomorrow, Alberta is voting to end changing our clocks twice a year

Post by imjustlurking »

airway wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 am Tomorrow in Alberta, as part of our Municipal Elections, there will be a binding referendum question about putting an end to changing our clocks twice a year (spring ahead, fall back): Spoiler- Vote YES

Daylight Saving Time
Summer hours (Daylight Saving Time) are the hours we observe in Alberta each year from the second Sunday in March until the first Sunday in November, when we revert to Standard Time.

Referendum question
Albertans will be asked the following question on the ballot:

Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?

Next steps
If a majority of voters in the referendum vote ‘yes,’ the Government of Alberta must take steps to implement the results of the referendum.

A ‘no’ vote means the Government of Alberta will not take further steps and Albertans will continue changing their clocks twice a year.

Regardless of the outcome of the referendum, Albertans will still change their clocks in the fall of 2021 and the spring of 2022. If Albertans vote to adopt summer hours permanently, that change would not happen before fall 2022.

There are actually 2 issues in this one question:

1. Should we stop changing our clocks twice a year?
Absolutely! IMO changing the clocks causes more problems than it fixes for sure.

2. Should we stay on Daylight Saving Time (DST or summer time), or winter time year round? They are only giving us the one option (DST).
There are a few pros and cons on this issue, but being a pilot living in Alberta and flying mostly in western Canada, I think DST(summer) time is the way to go. Then we will be at the same time as Saskatchewan year round, and Manitoba in the winter. Some people don't like the fact that the sun will come up later in the winter, but on the flip side if we went to permanent winter time, the sun is going to come up very early in the summer(when you are asleep) and set earlier, so you don't have as much sun in the evening. Also, BC and the western states are talking about all of them going to permanent DST, so we would be 1 hour different from BC year round.
Instead of changing the clocks back and forth (which made sense when time was still relative to the sun overhead), we should keep the time constant and change our schedules to match daylight if required.

Switching clocks is like using a 2" brush to paint a room because you need the fine control in a few places whereas keeping the clocks the same and changing schedules is like using an 18" roller brush for most of the room, using an edging brush for the edges, and a smaller brush for the tight spaces.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape with changing their clocks twice a year (by 1 whole hour). Changing schedules is much more difficult to do and the daylight in Alberta during the winter is short as it is.

Considering pilots sometimes change multiple time zones a day, I don't see the issue. My phone changes the time automatically and I don't really notice.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am I don't know why people get so bent out of shape with changing their clocks twice a year (by 1 whole hour). Changing schedules is much more difficult to do and the daylight in Alberta during the winter is short as it is.

Considering pilots sometimes change multiple time zones a day, I don't see the issue. My phone changes the time automatically and I don't really notice.
My schedule changes every day whether or not we stop changing the clock's twice a year.

About having short days in the winter, you will still be awake the whole time the sun is up (for a 9 to fiver). It's just going to come up later in the winter.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Cessna 180 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am I don't know why people get so bent out of shape with changing their clocks twice a year (by 1 whole hour). Changing schedules is much more difficult to do and the daylight in Alberta during the winter is short as it is.

Most jobs would not require a shift in schedule.

Some that may would be any job that requires daylight or lack thereof.

There are some serious side-effects from daylight savings changes.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2 ... -on-health

Increased suicides, heart attacks, traffic accidents and workplace injuries are correlated to the changing of the clocks. Not everyone is as lucky as we are to experience it on a near daily basis and they cannot handle it.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

If the day is short and the sun comes up early, many people will miss some sunshine as they are still sleeping. If it comes up later, a much higher percentage of the population will get the entire day of sunshine. I like daylight time. Never really thought about it before, so not sure if it makes sense but maybe they could have standard time for a few summer months when the days are long anyways.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

pelmet wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:32 pm Never really thought about it before, so not sure if it makes sense but maybe they could have standard time for a few summer months when the days are long anyways.
On the longest day of the year (June 20), in Calgary, this year, the sun rose at 5:21 AM DST. If we went to Standard time then, the sun would rise at 4:21 AM (most people are asleep for another 2 1/2 hours) and set an hour earlier. One of the purposes of DST was to have more sun in the evening during the summer, so I don't think it is a good idea to have standard time in the summer at all.

Last edited by airway on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

How about the referendum on changing the Constitution (which Alberta can't do unilaterally) to remove the clause that deals with equalization payments (which Alberta benefits from - not to mention, comes out of Federal Taxes regardless...).

Honestly, the whole debate around DST versus ST is just a distraction from all the crap that's going on these days. How about unchecked inflation, record profits at the big banks, crushing consumer debt loads, etc.?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

When the sun comes up later, cancer rates go up a lot. Any chance that is complete BS. I don't like my few daylight hours being wasted while I sleep in. I suspect a study of all those wanting daylight time and talking about cancer would by strange coincidence.....be early risers. Sorry boys, the referendum is for savings time.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

airway wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm
pelmet wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:32 pm Never really thought about it before, so not sure if it makes sense but maybe they could have standard time for a few summer months when the days are long anyways.
On the longest day of the year (June 20), in Calgary, this year, the sun rose at 5:21 AM DST. If we went to Standard time then, the sun would rise at 4:21 AM (most people are asleep for another 2 1/2 hours) and set an hour earlier. One of the purposes of DST was to have more sun in the evening during the summer, so I don't think it is a good idea to have standard time in the summer at all.
Yeah, and on the shortest day, if we went to daylight time, it wouldn’t rise until 9:45am. :roll:

If they wanted to stick to standard time, they might have my vote. But wanting to do MDT all the time (GMT-6) gets a hard no from everybody I’ve spoken to.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:34 pm
airway wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:13 pm
Yeah, and on the shortest day, if we went to daylight time, it wouldn’t rise until 9:45am. :roll:

If they wanted to stick to standard time, they might have my vote. But wanting to do MDT all the time (GMT-6) gets a hard no from everybody I’ve spoken to.
If rolling eyes makes an argument more credible, could roll mine at the sun going down so ridiculously early. Either way, the day is short. I’ll take the late sunrise. Personal preference. That’s the way it is up north, late sunrise, early sunset. It’s dark for a while on the morning.

Cancer cases due to this(as the news is suddenly reporting)….. likely zero.

Last edited by pelmet on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

pelmet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:09 am Either way, the day is short. I’ll take the late sunrise. Personal preference.
Me too, late sunrise = late sunset.

I find early sunsets more depressing than late sunrises.

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

37% voter turnout,embarrassing to be an Edmontonian.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Low voter turnout is because:

#1 Most people don’t care. Or

#2 Most people don’t see any choices they want.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
aeronauticaldisaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aeronauticaldisaster »

TG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:43 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:09 am Either way, the day is short. I’ll take the late sunrise. Personal preference.

Agreed. 6 or a half dozen.

Canada is tough for daylight come winter time.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

aeronauticaldisaster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:19 pm
TG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:43 am

Agreed. 6 or a half dozen.

Canada is tough for daylight come winter time.
So why waste the daylight while some are sleeping. All because the early birds don't want to wake up in the dark. But, it looks like the people who believe vaccine misinformation may have also believed the cancer causing Daylight Saving Time misinformation as Alberta voted down a change by a small margin.

Oh well, it all rests in the hands of the only ones who really ever could change Canada toward a better daylight future......the US changing their times. If they do it, we will automatically follow, just like when DST was extended by them a few years ago. I am enjoying my extended daylight today on a day that would have been dark much earlier if it wasn't for the US law change a few years ago.

Write your congressman.

Return to “General Comments”