TC too slow with issuing new CofR

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

TC too slow with issuing new CofR

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

bought a plane a while ago. My 90 day temporary CofR expires in a few days. The service standard deadline TC aims for, had a deadline for yesterday.
Called and emailed twice. Last time was today. And while I appreciate they actually answered the phone, nothing could be done and I have to wait.

Any backdoor tips and tricks to get this processed in time?

What would happen if I just keep flying the plane? I guess legally I could get fined, but realistically probably nothing would happen?

Pretty frustrated at this point.

/rant over
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: TC too slow with issuing new CofR

Post by photofly »

The problem with flying it anyway is that you'll record flights in the JL that predate the issue of the new CofR. Not only are you breaking the law, but you'll be leaving a paper trail that (in theory) could come to light, later. is it likely? No. Possible? Yes. And you won't be able to claim it was inadvertent, or thoughtless. So in the unlikely event that it does become an issue there will be no mercy.

Are you sure there's no COVID extension to an interim C of R?

According to the TC website the interim CofR is valid until "the last day of the 3-month period following the sale of the aircraft by the previous owner. There's something in the CARs maintenance standards that says an interval given in months is counted until the first day of the next month (hence annual inspections being due the first of the 13th month, similarly for medicals etc.) If you can dig out that rule see if the wording is the same as the above- that will give you up to and including 1 November - another 10 days.

EDIT: compare the wording "Last day of the three month period following..." with other times in the CARs such as "last day of the fifth month after..." and "last day of the 16th month after..." which appears somewhere. See if you can convince yourself that "last day of the three month period" means the same as the "last day of the third month". In which case you'd have a way to argue yourself out of an enforcement action, if it came to that. That would work until 31 October.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Interesting, thanks!
photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 am
I asked if I could get an extension or another temporary CofR, and the lady said 'no'. I did not ask for Covid specifically, I shall investigate.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am Interesting, thanks!
I asked if I could get an extension or another temporary CofR, and the lady said 'no'. I did not ask for Covid specifically, I shall investigate.
You have an interim CofR. They absolutely can (202.25(1)(b))issue you a temporary CofR as permitted by the regulations when a continuing CofR (what you want) cannot immediately be issued.

And by the way it says the Minister "shall" issue - you shouldn't have to wait on the Minister's pleasure.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Another person I know has simply parked his plane in the hangar because he can't get insured due to lack of a CofR. TC promised it in mid September (4 months after purchase of the plane), but as of earlier this week he still hadn't got it. Not sure what the solution is, or even why TC is in such a mess. What's it got to do with COVID?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Why do you need a C of R to buy an insurance policy? I've never been asked for one.

The delay doesn't likely have anything to do with COVID, but if there's a COVID exemption, you could still use it. And anyway by this time I'd be contacting my MP to speak to the Minister of Transport. Bring to the actual minister's attention his own regulations, and ask why he personally is taking so long to comply with his requirements.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am
digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am Interesting, thanks!
You have an interim CofR. They absolutely can (202.25(1)(b))issue you a temporary CofR as permitted by the regulations when a continuing CofR (what you want) cannot immediately be issued.

And by the way it says the Minister "shall" issue - you shouldn't have to wait on the Minister's pleasure.
Holy balony, that's gold!

:prayer:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

They must be reading avcanada. I just got my new CofR via email.

Note, they require proof of ID, even though that wasn't anywhere on the paperwork. No big deal, but for future reference and to prevent extra delays, a copy of a valid ID/passport is required.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You have to prove you're eligible to register an aircraft in Canada, i.e. citizen or PR. Sometimes they have it on file already.
digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 pm They must be reading avcanada. I just got my new CofR via email.
They have to be doing something instead of issuing the paperwork people are waiting for :-) I bet there's a TC administrative officer tasked with creating a table referencing AvCanada ID's vs pilot file numbers. Yours should be a shoe-in now, so watch what you write :-)

I really approve of the email CofR. It means you can print extra copies, all of which are equally valid.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:27 pm You have to prove you're eligible to register an aircraft in Canada, i.e. citizen or PR. Sometimes they have it on file already.
digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 pm They must be reading avcanada. I just got my new CofR via email.
They have to be doing something instead of issuing the paperwork people are waiting for :-) I bet there's a TC administrative officer tasked with creating a table referencing AvCanada ID's vs pilot file numbers. Yours should be a shoe-in now, so watch what you write :-)

I really approve of the email CofR. It means you can print extra copies, all of which are equally valid.
But you also need to send back old CofR every time you get a new one. So if I move in a few years, and I get a new CofR, do I need to send them an email back with the attachement? Do I print out 10 copies and send them back? :twisted:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Have I mentioned before how I love dealing with the friendly and professional people at Transport Canada?

(and it's not even sarcasm, once you actually reach the proper person, things are usually taken care of quickly)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:38 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Have I mentioned before how I love dealing with the friendly and professional people at Transport Canada?

(and it's not even sarcasm, once you actually reach the proper person, things are usually taken care of quickly)
I don't want to make you sick, but the last time I registered an airplane (just last week) I got the CofR back the same day. I guess it depends on *how* you ask...?

fixtor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fixtor »

What region are you in?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:41 pm I don't want to make you sick, but the last time I registered an airplane (just last week) I got the CofR back the same day. I guess it depends on *how* you ask...?
Via email, registered mail and phone call. All very friendly. Maybe I should have faxed or telegraphed :roll:

fixtor wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:11 pm What region are you in?
Prairie region. But it's all taken care of now.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:53 am Hi all,

bought a plane a while ago. My 90 day temporary CofR expires in a few days. The service standard deadline TC aims for, had a deadline for yesterday.
Called and emailed twice. Last time was today. And while I appreciate they actually answered the phone, nothing could be done and I have to wait.

Any backdoor tips and tricks to get this processed in time?

What would happen if I just keep flying the plane? I guess legally I could get fined, but realistically probably nothing would happen?

Pretty frustrated at this point.

/rant over
Just go fly it and enjoy it. If TC isn’t issuing paperwork, they sure as heck ain’t out with boots on the ground checking up on private aircraft. I haven’t seen them lurking around since the Covid.

Let’s Go Brandon
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I had an issue with one taking longer than 90 days very recently. I emailed them for an update and they send it back within a few hours.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “General Comments”