If I can't pass my PPL should I give up?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

If I can't pass my PPL should I give up?

Post by badstudent »

I was hoping to one day have a flying career, but I've been failing at getting my PPL for 3 years now and fail all my mock rides. Everyone says the PPL standards are a joke and I think it's a bad idea to keep going because CPL/IFR etc are going to be way more difficult to pass.
---------- ADS -----------

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: If I can't pass my PPL should I give up?

Post by dialdriver »

badstudent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm I was hoping to one day have a flying career, but I've been failing at getting my PPL for 3 years now and fail all my mock rides. Everyone says the PPL standards are a joke and I think it's a bad idea to keep going because CPL/IFR etc are going to be way more difficult to pass.
The PPL is probably the most difficult, followed by the instrument rating. The CPL is relatively easy. If you can pass a private you can pass a commercial.

I suggest you find another reputable school, tell them what's going on and see if you can get a second opinion. The problem might be your current school or instructor.

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:56 pm
badstudent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:45 pm I was hoping to one day have a flying career, but I've been failing at getting my PPL for 3 years now and fail all my mock rides. Everyone says the PPL standards are a joke and I think it's a bad idea to keep going because CPL/IFR etc are going to be way more difficult to pass.
The PPL is probably the most difficult, followed by the instrument rating. The CPL is relatively easy. If you can pass a private you can pass a commercial.

I suggest you find another reputable school, tell them what's going on and see if you can get a second opinion. The problem might be your current school or instructor.
I've actually switched once, and had multiple instructors. The problem seems to be me since I've plateaud years ago in terms of air work

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

badstudent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 pm

I've actually switched once, and had multiple instructors. The problem seems to be me since I've plateaud years ago in terms of air work
What are you failing on?

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:16 pm
badstudent wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 pm

What are you failing on?
Basically everything, if I’m weak at some thing I’ll practice it for a few flights then some thing I was strong at earlier I’ll be very bad at.

Also I end up making mistakes during the mock rides that I normally wouldn’t such as forgetting I have to go behind traffic and I’m not 1st to land, Fucking dangerous :/

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Pretty sure this is a troll

pitottubey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitottubey »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but real advice, flying probably isn't for you. Assuming like you've said that you had these issues with multiple instructors and schools. You may not be applying yourself enough, flying frequently enough, or have the natural ability, or have multiple of those issues. If you're struggling this much with the PPL you'll probably struggle at every level of training, (CPL, IFR ect.) which will make it prohibitively expensive. (And lengthy in time, were taking another 3 years at least) Most students who start their training never get their PPL so you aren't alone. Theres plenty of other cool aviation jobs though! Like in management or dispatching. Good luck!

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

pitottubey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:35 pm have the natural ability, or have multiple of those issues. If you're struggling this much with the PPL you'll probably struggle at every level of training, (CPL, IFR ect.) which will make it prohibitively expensive.
Thanks for an honest take, this is what I was afraid of.
hithere wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:26 pm Pretty sure this is a troll
Not sure why it's so hard to believe there are some students who are bad at flying but here is a screenshot of my account from the TC site

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

There's no shame in not being any good at something and honest about it. I'm pretty sure I'd get fired as an apprentice cabinet maker.

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

Bede wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm There's no shame in not being any good at something and honest about it. I'm pretty sure I'd get fired as an apprentice cabinet maker.
The problem is do I keep going if there's a good chance I won't finish or will come across an impossible task if I continue my training or call it quits now.

I think I've proven this isn't for me but maybe some other people have been in this spot or have a different opinion

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

In what region of the country are you? How many hours do you have? How much time has it taken you to get your last 10 hours?

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

Bede wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm In what region of the country are you? How many hours do you have? How much time has it taken you to get your last 10 hours?
fly about 3 hours a week, east coast, and 150+ hours

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

Flying isn't for everyone, there is no shame in it. After multiple instructors and 150hrs, I think the answer is probably clear. Sorry.

Plenty of other far better paying/lifestyle out there, and as someone said, can still be within aviation. Good luck.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'm sorry to tell you but I think that you should cut your losses. No one like hearing that and no one likes telling it.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Are you stressing yourself out so much during the mock flight tests that you're panicking and forgetting stuff? What other things have you failed on other than forgetting you're #2 to land?

badstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by badstudent »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:56 pm Are you stressing yourself out so much during the mock flight tests that you're panicking and forgetting stuff? What other things have you failed on other than forgetting you're #2 to land?
Naw I managed to remember basically everything but I was just out of standard with everything such as landing way down on the forced or height being way off and end of manouvers

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

As others have said it may not be for you. And there is nothing to be ashamed of. 80% of those that start a PPL never obtain it, and even less get commercial and ATPL’s.
In Canada there are about 16600 private pilots and 7400 professional pilots (commercial and ATPL). If we take that 80% washout, that means 120,000 have started flight training which works out to 6% that start make it to a professional level. Granted not all that start a PPL are after a commercial but you can see that it’s a low percentage that make it. So don’t beat yourself up.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

At 150+ hours without a PPL a flying career for you probably just isn't in the cards, but it's not the end of the world my friend, quite the opposite. I've seen plenty of struggling students succeed fantastically in other careers once the burden of trying to fight an uphill battle in the wrong vocation is put behind them.

If you like flying you're fully within your rights to pursue it as a hobby, but you should think realistically about it as a career given the level of responsibility involved.
There are plenty of things individuals aren't good at. Your skillset needs to match the job. Aviation is funny- generally after year or so into any regular university program that isn't jiving with a person, they simply switch programs, or drop out to start a business, etc. Yet aviation is so passion-fueled that sometime people forget that just like anything else, it just might not be a great fit for them.
It's just one field... There are hundreds of others out there. Get an MBA then you can tell pilots what to do. :)

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I Agree with those who have said that with 150 hours and no PPL, flying is not your strong skill. And it's true, flying is just not for some people, no shame in that. I've met a few very natural pilots, many who have the skills, but work at it, and yes, a few pilots who though having a PPL, in my opinion could not safely handle difficult, though possible abnormal situation.

If you truly enjoy flying, lower your expectations, and just do it for fun as a student. I knew one pilot in this situation, who had over 250 hours, and just flew with his instructor (usually out for lunch somewhere) or solo as a student.

Though the CPL is more or less the same overall flying as the PPL, the standards of precision are higher. So if you're challenged by the PPL standards, the CPL is over your horizon right now.

Enjoy any hobby which pleases you, focus on a career which lies within your personal strengths....

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I think everyone here is being far too gentle. Stop now, before you kill yourself or someone else.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"

Return to “General Comments”