300XC question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pilotjack
Rank 0
Rank 0

300XC question

Post by pilotjack »

Hello. I did my CPL XC last year CYKF-CYEL-CYXZ-CYAM-CYKF. I did it all alone. I was just wondering if I needed to make those "2" landings before I got to Wawa or is the way I did it valid as I still landed in 3 places, just one being on the way back to Kitchener.
---------- ADS -----------

bbingham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 300XC question

Post by bbingham »

You might want to check the distance on that 300nm cross country. When I did mine out of CYAM, I had to go all the way down to St Catherines area to hit the 300nm radius requirement. According to Foreflight, CYKF-CYAM is only 250ish

From TC 421.30: 25 hours solo flight time emphasizing the improvement of general flying skills of the applicant which shall include a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

While YKF-YAM is only 253 nm, YKF-YXZ is 328 nm. So you are good there. I too did a similar 300XC many years ago, and it was accepted with one stop each way (different airports for each stop). So unless TC’s interpretation of the regs has changed in the last 17 years, you should be good.

bbingham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bbingham »

My apologies. I got Wawa and Wiarton confused. I'll go back to lurking now

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

No worries! Groundhogs vs Canada Geese, and identifiers that have little to nothing to do with the location name…. I suppose the VV in YVV looks like a W, so maybe that’s the link to Wiarton. And YXZ has all the letters after W, and I suppose the last three letters before “a”, and with just those two letters you can spell Wawa.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Did you get your pilot logbook signed at the different airports you landed,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

redlaser wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:02 am Did you get your pilot logbook signed at the different airports you landed,
Is that a requirement now?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

Invertago wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:45 pm
redlaser wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:02 am Did you get your pilot logbook signed at the different airports you landed,
Is that a requirement now?
No. There is a s no requirement you have a logbook signed for cross country flights

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Then who is to say you landed at the airports you claim to have visited, TC could require proof .

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

redlaser wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:01 pm Then who is to say you landed at the airports you claim to have visited, TC could require proof .
How do you prove to transport you did any of your required cross country. Or any solo training for that matter.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Is it possible there’s a record of flight plans?

Receipts for fuel? Hotel rooms? Wiarton Willy stuffy?

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

Buy a sandwich at the airport restaurant and keep the receipt, as proof you were there.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Ah come on. Let's not pollute the thread.

TC does not require certified logbooks, and does not require stamps from airports or hotel receipts. Jeesh :roll:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
172DDriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 172DDriver »

ant_321 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:23 pm
redlaser wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:01 pm Then who is to say you landed at the airports you claim to have visited, TC could require proof .
How do you prove to transport you did any of your required cross country. Or any solo training for that matter.
TC doesn't care about your stamp.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They could ask to see the aircraft journey logbook. That is a legal document and would prove you landed there.

Let’s Go Brandon
broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Out of curiosity, how many CPLs only had a single 300NM XC in their log books by the time they had the hours in to satisfy the CPL requirements? My first 300NM XC was a milestone for sure and not downplaying it. By the time I had my CPL hours, I had several XCs that well exceeded the requirements. Almost like the first was there to push me outside my comfort zone and the rest just built on my knowledge and strengths.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

broken_slinky wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am Out of curiosity, how many CPLs only had a single 300NM XC in their log books by the time they had the hours in to satisfy the CPL requirements? My first 300NM XC was a milestone for sure and not downplaying it. By the time I had my CPL hours, I had several XCs that well exceeded the requirements. Almost like the first was there to push me outside my comfort zone and the rest just built on my knowledge and strengths.
Depends. The requirements for the 300 NM XC are somewhat artificial. I had flown much further than 300 NM from my homebase very frequently, yet I only had one that would satisfy all the regulatory requriements. Some friends of mine had the same issue. Mainly because when you travel with another pilot, you often switch seats after every leg, 'screwing up' the requirements. Making 3 other landings on the same day (not necessarily a TC requirement, but other countries interpret it that way) are also not quite common on longer trips. If you want to go far you fly to the end of your fuel, refuel and go again, which will typically bring you to the end of the day. It's not hard to meet the 300 XC requirements, but I find that it doesn't happen naturally. Then you have delays which might spread your trip out over multiple days, which might again be an issue for some regulators.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Sailtime
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sailtime »

Gee; 300 NM is nothing really. After I got my private I decided, instead of building hours locally, I jumped into a rented Cherokee 140 at Voyageur Airways and flew south from North Bay to Marathon. That is, Marathon in the Florida Keys. I had 55 hours TT when I departed. On a stop in Titusville Fla. I taxied in and was marshalled to my spot. The ramp guy was very welcoming and asked if I was flying again today. I answered no so he handed me a cold one while asking if I had ever seen a rocket take off. Of course I said no as he pointed out that one was launching in about an hour. That was pretty neat. Even caught some fish in Marathon. That whole experience taught me so much more than if I had stayed in Ontario. Even figured out how to use the VOR....

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Sailtime wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:56 am Gee; 300 NM is nothing really. After I got my private I decided, instead of building hours locally, I jumped into a rented Cherokee 140 at Voyageur Airways and flew south from North Bay to Marathon. That is, Marathon in the Florida Keys. I had 55 hours TT when I departed. On a stop in Titusville Fla. I taxied in and was marshalled to my spot. The ramp guy was very welcoming and asked if I was flying again today. I answered no so he handed me a cold one while asking if I had ever seen a rocket take off. Of course I said no as he pointed out that one was launching in about an hour. That was pretty neat. Even caught some fish in Marathon. That whole experience taught me so much more than if I had stayed in Ontario. Even figured out how to use the VOR....
That is a great way to do your CPL build up time. The lessons you learn setting out on your own will last you a lifetime.

With respect to signing a log book, that is one of those "back in the day" things. When I did my cross country in 1976 you had to get your log book endorsed at each stop. The FSS's even had a little stamp for the endorsement.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:15 pm
They could ask to see the aircraft journey logbook. That is a legal document and would prove you landed there.
If you’re going to fake your own pilot log, then the presumption is that you would also fake the journey log.

It’s basically a non-issue. TC would have to come up with some pretty convincing evidence that you didn’t make the journey as recorded (like the weather was 0/0 that day or the aircraft was written off in an accident two years prior) to deny you, and they have better things to do with their time.

Putting it another way, if TC is forensically investigating the veracity of your logbook you have much bigger problems that just your x/c.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”