Encore Hiring 250 hrs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Encore Hiring 250 hrs

Post by OneYonge »

kiaszceski wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:10 pm Do you really think a 250hr pilot will be hired over a 2500 or 3500 hr 703 captain or a 1500hrs 704 FO?
This entirely depends on how much pilots overvalue themselves and price themselves out of a job. Smaller operators hire low-timers.

It's not just Aviation. In any industry, the more you stifle them from growing....the smaller they get and the more they act like small operators.
---------- ADS -----------

just clearing the trees
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by just clearing the trees »

I can't imagine a MORE appropriate job for a 250 hour pilot.
The pay is trash.
It doesn't require any special piloting skills.
It doesn't require any real experience.
It doesn't require any real decision making, insofar as they are not in command.
The aircraft offers lots of performance and is easy to fly.
It only requires a minute or two per leg of hand flying, and if conditions during those moments are beyond the capabilities of a 250 hour pilot, they have the luxury of passing control to the person supervising them.
It comes with a manual outlining in great detail, the exact step by step procedures to follow to successfully do the job.
All that is required is to follow those steps exactly, every time.
It is a lowest 250 hour common denominator job. Really, I can't imagine a MORE suitable job for a 250 hour pilot.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well said

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

just clearing the trees wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:23 pm I can't imagine a MORE appropriate job for a 250 hour pilot.
The pay is trash.
It doesn't require any real decision making, insofar as they are not in command.
It only requires a minute or two per leg of hand flying, and if conditions during those moments are beyond the capabilities of a 250 hour pilot, they have the luxury of passing control to the person supervising them.
It comes with a manual outlining in great detail, the exact step by step procedures to follow to successfully do the job.
It is a lowest 250 hour common denominator job. Really, I can't imagine a MORE suitable job for a 250 hour pilot.

That's the best description of a regional FO job I've ever seen.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

just clearing the trees wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:23 pm I can't imagine a MORE appropriate job for a 250 hour pilot.
The pay is trash.

Shut up.

You had me at “I can’t imagine a MORE appropriate job for a 250 hour pilot”

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

I believe you may be right.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

‘Bob’ wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 pm
The pay is trash.
So what kind of captain will they become if all they've ever had to do when the going gets rough is let go and say "you have control"?

Flight94
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Flight94 »

co-joe wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:27 pm
So what kind of captain will they become if all they've ever had to do when the going gets rough is let go and say "you have control"?
Probably not that great, but it's still a valid assessment of the job.

globaltrainer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by globaltrainer »

mmmh..not sure I want to commute with them anymore.....

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I got the cpl in '78. We were told then that the pilot shortage was 2 years out, and it's been 2 years out ever since.

I'll file the pilot shortage out there with nuclear fusion, coming soon, and maybe the grandkids will see it. But I doubt it, by then automation will put 'pilot' in the same category as 'elevator driver'.
You have to admit though in 2019 (and just upto the start of the 'Vid) a Pilot shortage had begun.

I also saw it in 2006 (just before the economic crash of 2007).

Now it seems to me that these black swan events tend to happen every 7 years or so.

We are in a situation now that there will be the boomers retiring, air travel is going to be more in demand than ever and (hopefully) we have another 7 years before an asteroid hits the Earth. Maybe this time there will be a full on shortage... maybe.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

co-joe wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:27 pm
‘Bob’ wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:17 pm
The pay is trash.
So you would prefer them to be a PIC in a smaller airplane without having any FO experience?

Every option has pros and cons.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Sounds like the company is greatly getting ahead of themselves with this job posting. The last of the recalled pilots wont even be back on property until march, meaning their training will be going on until april 2022. So the earliest they could do an initial class is around may 2022. But honistly I'm not sure there is a need for it yet, atleast out of yyz, we are not busy, even for the month of December. Still lots of growth to be done for current and recalled pilots to even have a normal and full schedule.
I've herd of several friends applying with over 1000 hours and getting a rejected letter only 2 weeks after applying for this recent posting. Which tells me they are getting loads of applications and still rejecting the lower experienced guys. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I think all they are trying to do is create a pilot pool again. So they are ready for anything. I dont think they have any really solid plans to actually run any initial hires courses for summer of 22 ( unless things seriously pick up)

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

Tolip wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm Sounds like the company is greatly getting ahead of themselves with this job posting. The last of the recalled pilots wont even be back on property until march, meaning their training will be going on until april 2022. So the earliest they could do an initial class is around may 2022. But honistly I'm not sure there is a need for it yet, atleast out of yyz, we are not busy, even for the month of December. Still lots of growth to be done for current and recalled pilots to even have a normal and full schedule.
I've herd of several friends applying with over 1000 hours and getting a rejected letter only 2 weeks after applying for this recent posting. Which tells me they are getting loads of applications and still rejecting the lower experienced guys. Like someone said earlier in this thread, I think all they are trying to do is create a pilot pool again. So they are ready for anything. I dont think they have any really solid plans to actually run any initial hires courses for summer of 22 ( unless things seriously pick up)
I applied with less that 500TT and haven't gotten the pfo yet (been more than two weeks). Maybe they've just received too many applications period. There's still tons of laid off folks and two years worth of college grads who are waiting for their first break. I wouldn't want to be the one sorting through all of those applications. :shock: I think you're right about the pool. Hopefully this omnicron outbreak is short lived and some classes start to get filled as flying begins to ramp up.

tincandriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tincandriver »

yowflyer23 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:22 pm
Tolip wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:49 pm Sounds like the company is greatly getting ahead of themselves with this job posting. The last of the recalled pilots wont even be back on property until march, meaning their training will be going on until april 2022. So the earliest they could do an initial class is around may 2022. But honistly I'm not sure there is a need for it yet, atleast out of yyz, we are not busy, even for the month of December. Still lots of growth to be done for current and recalled pilots to even have a normal and full schedule.
I applied with less that 500TT and haven't gotten the pfo yet (been more than two weeks). Maybe they've just received too many applications period. There's still tons of laid off folks and two years worth of college grads who are waiting for their first break. I wouldn't want to be the one sorting through all of those applications. :shock: I think you're right about the pool. Hopefully this omnicron outbreak is short lived and some classes start to get filled as flying begins to ramp up.
I applied on Nov 8 within an hr of them posting lol ~ 1050 TT and haven’t heard anything yet. I do know a few who got reject emails but they all got because they didn’t have either IATRA/ saron/samra or PR/ citizenship etc. I haven’t heard anyone getting anything back if they meet all the requirements. I’ve been reading this forum and it sounds like they’ll mention in the posting if it’s a pool. But, Idk I might be wrong. It would be awesome if someone on the inside could confirm whether this is a pool or actual hiring and if so, when are they estimating for new classes. Looks like Mr. Dave P is the go to person for anything /WestJet. Would you please comment on this? Thanks in advance!!

yowflyer23
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yowflyer23 »

tincandriver wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:37 pm It would be awesome if someone on the inside could confirm whether this is a pool or actual hiring and if so, when are they estimating for new classes.
It says it's for the pool right in the posting:
Selection Process:

- The opportunity to interview is valid for a period of two years after graduation from one of our partnership schools
- If successful through the interview process, you will be placed in the hiring pool for WestJet Encore
- An offer of employment is subject to meeting any additional minimum qualifications for the position and any other conditions of employment
- A successful interview does not constitute an offer or guarantee of employment
Edit: Nevermind... That's for the school partnership only it appears.

Saubia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Saubia »

The pay is trash.
With this kind of comment I'm pretty sure you're all set to fit with AC culture. Not really nice comment for all FO working at encore or jazz. IDk where you work rn but remember one day you were one of them. According to you a noob could do it without difficulties, not sure I had this feeling when I was an FO.

wcpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wcpilot »

Does anyone know what kind of total time the pilots they're actually hiring are at? Or if they have many classes scheduled in the future? Thanks!

goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

wcpilot wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:13 pm Does anyone know what kind of total time the pilots they're actually hiring are at? Or if they have many classes scheduled in the future? Thanks!
From what I've heard, it's in the 2000+ hour range in a recent class. Several more classes, approximately 3 weeks apart, are in the works. The pool of overqualified pilots will dry up quickly with other airlines hiring too, so keep your resume updated and stay positive.

Mind you, I am not in the training department, nor do I have direct access to this information, so it's what I've heard on the grapevine.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Saubia wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:19 pm
The pay is trash.
With this kind of comment I'm pretty sure you're all set to fit with AC culture. Not really nice comment for all FO working at encore or jazz. IDk where you work rn but remember one day you were one of them. According to you a noob could do it without difficulties, not sure I had this feeling when I was an FO.
Some people have difficulty balancing a chequebook and walking and chewing gum at the same time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They have dumbed the job down so much that all you have to do is follow your little iPad if you ever have a question. Is it below 5C? Type IV spray with SKC and double digit dew point spreads. OVC 200 and 3 knot winds? Full procedure at 130 knots to the opposite runway. Going to be 5 min early? 315 true to mess everyone else up.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
goingmissed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goingmissed »

‘Bob’ wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Saubia wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:19 pm
The pay is trash.
Some people have difficulty balancing a chequebook and walking and chewing gum at the same time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They have dumbed the job down so much that all you have to do is follow your little iPad if you ever have a question. Is it below 5C? Type IV spray with SKC and double digit dew point spreads. OVC 200 and 3 knot winds? Full procedure at 130 knots to the opposite runway. Going to be 5 min early? 315 true to mess everyone else up.
I seriously hope that you're joking. JustClearingTheTrees is obviously upset that they aren't at an airline and doesn't realize that an AOM is required to be followed at an airline.

Return to “General Comments”