Encore Hiring 250 hrs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Encore Hiring 250 hrs

Post by sullecpt »

Pilot Shortage now? 250 hrs??

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... EbOS4pk%3d
Key Deliverables include:

The ability to follow standard operating procedures: ensuring the safety of our crew and guests
Lead by example, demonstrating honesty and integrity
The ability to work within a dynamic team environment and communicate effectively
Flexible and adaptable to respond to the changing demands of the operation and business
Professional and committed to upholding WestJet values

Experience and Qualifications:

250 hours total time
100 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time
Valid Transport Canada Group 1 Instrument Rating
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 Medical Certificate
Transport Canada Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL) 
Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL) is preferred
Completion of either the IATRA or the SAMRA and SARON. (Exams must be valid)
Legally entitled to work in Canada
Current valid passport and Canadian Permanent Resident Card if you are not a holder of a Canadian passport
All required visas or travel documents allowing you to freely travel unrestricted
Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) obtained prior to the completion of Initial Ground School
Clear police background and criminal record check 
Offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test
Oral and written proficiency in English

Preference will be given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Multi-engine and multi-crew time preferred.

WestJet Encore supports a Pilot-in-Command Under Supervision (PICUS) program for First Officers who hold a CPL to accrue PICUS flight time and experience. First Officers may carry out 200 hours in Encore aircraft for a maximum credit of 100 hours PICUS towards ATPL requirements as detailed in CAR 421.11. 
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Encore Hiring 250 hrs

Post by JasonE »

Nah, just minimum pay.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

sullecpt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 am Pilot Shortage now? 250 hrs??

https://career4.successfactors.com/care ... EbOS4pk%3d
Key Deliverables include:

The ability to follow standard operating procedures: ensuring the safety of our crew and guests
Lead by example, demonstrating honesty and integrity
The ability to work within a dynamic team environment and communicate effectively
Flexible and adaptable to respond to the changing demands of the operation and business
Professional and committed to upholding WestJet values

Experience and Qualifications:

250 hours total time
100 hours fixed-wing pilot-in-command time
Valid Transport Canada Group 1 Instrument Rating
Valid Transport Canada Class 1 Medical Certificate
Transport Canada Commercial Pilot’s License (CPL) 
Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s License (ATPL) is preferred
Completion of either the IATRA or the SAMRA and SARON. (Exams must be valid)
Legally entitled to work in Canada
Current valid passport and Canadian Permanent Resident Card if you are not a holder of a Canadian passport
All required visas or travel documents allowing you to freely travel unrestricted
Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) obtained prior to the completion of Initial Ground School
Clear police background and criminal record check 
Offers of employment are conditional on passing a pre-employment alcohol and drug screening test
Oral and written proficiency in English

Preference will be given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Multi-engine and multi-crew time preferred.

WestJet Encore supports a Pilot-in-Command Under Supervision (PICUS) program for First Officers who hold a CPL to accrue PICUS flight time and experience. First Officers may carry out 200 hours in Encore aircraft for a maximum credit of 100 hours PICUS towards ATPL requirements as detailed in CAR 421.11. 
They'll have offered all of the furloughed Encore pilots recall in Q1 2022. This is for future hiring, potentially as early as Q2 2022 (my opinion, not fact).

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I’d be surprised if they’d actually hire with those hours. Though maybe they’re losing too many to other regionals at this point who knows?

qwe221sd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by qwe221sd »

maybe early connection?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

A sign of things to come. Pooling up candidates more then likely. They don't wanna be caught flat footed when things really spool up in a few more months.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

You get to be worked like a dog for little pay at Encore. Then you get your big upgrade at Swoop for less than 100k. Then you get to wait a million years for an upgrade at WJ.

All the while working for a management team that seems hell bent on destroying any drop off goodwill left in the pilot group.

I’d say they’d be lucky to get a 250 hr pilot.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Hangry wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:57 am You get to be worked like a dog for little pay at Encore. Then you get your big upgrade at Swoop for less than 100k. Then you get to wait a million years for an upgrade at WJ.

You obviously don't know the pay rates for Q400 pilots in Canada.

Encore (75MMG) - First year FO (2021) = $41,436

Jazz (77.5MMG) - First year FO (2021) = $38,706

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Hangry wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:57 am You get to be worked like a dog for little pay at Encore. Then you get your big upgrade at Swoop for less than 100k. Then you get to wait a million years for an upgrade at WJ.

All the while working for a management team that seems hell bent on destroying any drop off goodwill left in the pilot group.

I know you can't live off 41k in Toronto, but until things change in the industry, which won't be anytime soon, that's what it is... I'd love to see change, just not sure how we are ever going to obtain it... And also, I'd rather 41k in Toronto then 50k up north, all day long

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Jazz already have tons of 250hrs from College program, no surprise if Encore does the same
C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:01 am I’d be surprised if they’d actually hire with those hours. Though maybe they’re losing too many to other regionals at this point who knows?

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Why are you so angry? What happened? You got denied entry to 705 ?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

250 hours makes sense for anticipated new hires when the industry picks up. Encore will be the last hope for any pilot applying to the regionals. After all, Jazz has a guaranteed 90% flow to mainline. Encore has a guaranteed REIP payment at the end of each year. "Sorry we can't let you flow, it could damage the operation!".

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Babar350 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:31 pm

I’m hungry obviously.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

smooth wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:03 pm Jazz already have tons of 250hrs from College program, no surprise if Encore does the same
C-GGGQ wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:01 am I’d be surprised if they’d actually hire with those hours. Though maybe they’re losing too many to other regionals at this point who knows?
Tons is a bit of an overstatement, but I meant when hiring actually opens the flood of 1500 hr instructors and 2000 hr 703 pilots who will want to move on would make the 250 hr guys unlikely for the time being

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

There’s not a lot of difference between a 1500 hour instructor and a 250 hour wonder in the flight deck of a Q-400. They both face a very steep learning curve. Multi-engine, multi-crew, 705 world, SOP’s, FMS’s, winter ops, busy international airports like YYZ and Boston, de-icing, etc…

But Encore has re-jigged the training program to make the transition possible for both.

As for the pay, not awesome to start, but you get yourself a seniority number at twenty-something, and it sure as hell beats Thompson or La Ronge.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Babar350 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:31 pm
Imagine thinking that 705 is exclusive or something.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Imagine thinking if you don’t go 705 your a failure in Canadian aviation

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

180 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:43 pm There’s not a lot of difference between a 1500 hour instructor and a 250 hour wonder in the flight deck of a Q-400. They both face a very steep learning curve. Multi-engine, multi-crew, 705 world, SOP’s, FMS’s, winter ops, busy international airports like YYZ and Boston, de-icing, etc…

But Encore has re-jigged the training program to make the transition possible for both.

As for the pay, not awesome to start, but you get yourself a seniority number at twenty-something, and it sure as hell beats Thompson or La Ronge.
I can't quite tell if there's sarcasm in your post or not. How will they "re-jigg" the training program to account for the fact a new pilot will have no experience whatsoever? An extra sim session?
It sure does beat being up north. Just a shame for the Captain who's gonna be flying single pilot. And no, this isn't Europe. Completely different system there for low time pilots.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 pm Completely different system there for low time pilots.
What are the differences?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Here’s the thing with Encore - personally I think it’s a great place to start or progress or even stay (if airline flying is your desire). It’s a great place to learn, grow your experience and has many opportunities for those that want to do more or expand into training departments etc. In addition it has opportunity to make it your final stop. I find many pilots are so focused on the $ and how fast you can get upgraded or transfer then they lose sight or stumble in into a bad choice only to become angry at the investment in time and money. Don’t get me wrong - some do very well moving too! I get it - I thought that way too when I was in the regionals, but eventually your goals do come to fruition. Even after being laid off and gone through a shut down. Airline flying gets a bit boring sometimes and then life throws curveballs (like covid). Many can’t deal with those stresses because it’s out of their control and Pilots love to be in control.

Encore can provide nice aircraft to fly and provide relative control over schedule with a nice or fair work life balance. Is anything perfect - no. Does the company learn from their mistakes - yes. Will things improve in the next contract (their 2nd) - likely. The support you receive is some of the best in the industry. I still think floats are the hardest thing out there and you certainly aren’t working like a dog at Encore. Come fly floats with me someday :)

I’ve worked for many companies myself - like Bearskin, Wasaya, Air Atlantic, InterCanadien, Air Ontario and now 21 years at WestJet. As mentioned, I still fly floats in the summer and mingle with the new pilots and have tons of fun.

Every section of this industry has its plus and minus.

If you want structure and predictability while being new-ish in the industry - the regionals are great for that. They each have little their unique differences but I can confidently say (IMHO) there isn’t much difference between the companies. Again examine the differences that suit you best - and be professional about it.

All companies right now need all-hands-on-deck and many received a blow to the gut this past two years. The people or culture are the difference and I think the WJ group has a lot of great pilots and opportunity.

Personally too, I think it’s great we opened the posting.
This will be for courses projected end of Q1 and into Q2. Pandemic recovery pending, but the compass is solidly pointing that way. Will we hire ALL @ 250 hrs? - no but this posting allows a lot more pilots to explore Encore through an interview and for us to explore what they have to offer vs our old 1000 hr minimum. To answer another question, yes - the training footprint has been expanded to take on a lower time pilot and expose them to airline ops. Additions such as more practical scenario or LOFT training.

I wasn’t a big advocate of low time pilots direct into the regionals myself in the past, but the efforts of Jazz - and now us along with other airlines - have collectively put into schools such as BCIT, MRU and Seneca is commendable.

Today’s programs develop these new pilots into more than just a heartbeat in the right seat. Things have changed. Jazz can tip a hat for really putting a lot of effort into these schools and pioneering this technical initiative. A job well done and as a result, the whole industry has benefited. CRJ sims, industry exposure, SME access, industry advisory boards moulding the curriculum from statistics etc - all contribute.

Does it beat hard-core experience up north, military or flying a medivac at 2am? I don’t think so either - but all have merits. Again, the goal for the future classes is to have or maintain a healthy balance.

I don’t mean to come across narcissistic or a kool-aid clown, but Encore is a good company and it has a lot to offer. Again IMHO.

Cheers

Last edited by DaveP on Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Comments”