TC safety Seminar runs a few minutes overtime...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

TC safety Seminar runs a few minutes overtime...

Post by PilotDAR »

Ewan Tasker of the TSB presented a Teams Aviation Safety Seminar this evening. Discussions of accidents, most of which have also been well discussed here. It was beneficial, as usual. It went a few minutes past the appointed 9PM finish, with a promise of the notation for the recurrency credit at the end. At 9:01, someone posts a comment to "end it NOW, I'm not getting overtime for this", presumably wanting the reference to the notation for credit.

Well, in addition to being rather rude, it sure displayed a severe lack of patience! Lack of patience, and pilot are a poor combination!
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: TC safety Seminar runs a few minutes overtime...

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

We live in a society of instant gratification, 1 minute over is a bit impatient lol

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

It's obviously rude, but somewhat understandable with mandatory meetings. I think it's more of an indication of a sour relationship with ones employer, than it would be a reflection on the course or its teacher.

But rude, yes. Not sure if it's a lack of patience. More a 'I don't want to work for free' attitude, which is something that is not necessarily a bad thing, depending on the employer.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I'd like to check this person's timesheets/logbooks for 1-minute accuracy.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

The investigator would be the last to take offence from the on-time pilot who submits to this seminar’s time constraints. When an investigation begins it’s the pilots who all wait patiently for a report to come out not a minute too soon.

Since we can be quick to judge a pilot’s timing in decisions made in an accident aircraft, now we can appreciate the courtesy in the preventative education timeline for said pilots in such safety seminar (where the shoe is on the other foot) including that early riser pilot who plans to be home (fatigue avoidance?) possibly with that minute to spare. Pilot’s success has a lot to do with precise timing, where an investigation often gets a whole lot of extra time. Was the wrap up underway for nine pm?

Timing gone wrong by a minute examples like ETA, MAP, putting the gear down, holdover time, pulling carb heat , … the list might seem endless what an investigator could find as to a pilot’s error. Sounds like well past the hour here.

Sorry, I know the seminar idea is great, however here it’s the pilot who gets to go home right on time if he/she must (no errors allowed).

Return to “General Comments”