Night Flying - In USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Grummanflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Night Flying - In USA

Post by Grummanflyer »

If I have a Canadian PPL - flying a Canadian aircraft in the USA can I fly at night without a Canadian night rating given the USA does not require a night rating?
---------- ADS -----------

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Night Flying - In USA

Post by broken_slinky »

Not sure where the exact rule is but we can only exercise the privileges specified on our licenses. Not sure why you'd want to avoid the 20 hours of training to get your night rating. The chances of bad things happening at night definitely increase versus day.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

IIRC, you have to abide by the rules of another nation unless they are at odds with the regulation in your own country. In this case, your country doesn't authorize you to fly at night, so I'm guessing you're hooped.

There are a lot of "gotchas" in night flying; best to get the training.

Grummanflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Grummanflyer »

broken_slinky wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 am Not sure where the exact rule is but we can only exercise the privileges specified on our licenses. Not sure why you'd want to avoid the 20 hours of training to get your night rating. The chances of bad things happening at night definitely increase versus day.
Sorry wasted looking to avoid any training. Have the hours just haven’t gotten it signed off in Canada yet.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

No, your Canadian license restricts you from flying at night.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

The more restrictive law applies. Since the Canadian law restricts you to daytime flight, you're restricted to daytime flight everywhere.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Grummanflyer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:52 pmSorry wasted looking to avoid any training. Have the hours just haven’t gotten it signed off in Canada yet.
So... Get it signed off? If you have all the hours and requirements, it is as easy as a signoff. There's no flight test.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 amSo... Get it signed off? If you have all the hours and requirements, it is as easy as a signoff. There's no flight test.
Exactly, as they were taking payment for my last hour of training, I would have been requesting the signoff. Wait too long and something happens to the FTU or instructor and then what.

Return to “General Comments”