Opening up the borders for Canadian pilots in the usa

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyfasttakechances
Rank 1
Rank 1

Opening up the borders for Canadian pilots in the usa

Post by flyfasttakechances »

Anyone have any thoughts when / if something like this will ever happen?
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Opening up the borders for Canadian pilots in the usa

Post by North Shore »

"Any time now" for the entire 30 years of my flying career so far...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

The 1000 hour part 121 time requirement for a captain seat is going to be a problem for any work visa.
It doesn’t help the airline a ton to bring in F/O’s that can’t upgrade for a couple of years who are on a visa that will need to be renewed.
It also is less appealing to the pilot who will be stuck in the right seat for 1000 hours, building seniority at an airline where they have a visa that will eventually expire.

unionism101
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by unionism101 »

Rumours abound but never any action...hopefully soon as the pilot shortage ramps up down south

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

Stinky wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am The 1000 hour part 121 time requirement for a captain seat is going to be a problem for any work visa.
It doesn’t help the airline a ton to bring in F/O’s that can’t upgrade for a couple of years who are on a visa that will need to be renewed.
It also is less appealing to the pilot who will be stuck in the right seat for 1000 hours, building seniority at an airline where they have a visa that will eventually expire.
Does seniority really matter when you’re making more than anyone here can dream off on just your 2nd year?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:26 pm
Stinky wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:22 am The 1000 hour part 121 time requirement for a captain seat is going to be a problem for any work visa.
Does seniority really matter when you’re making more than anyone here can dream off on just your 2nd year?
2nd'ed

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

flyfasttakechances wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 pm Anyone have any thoughts when / if something like this will ever happen?
I dont think it ever will.

I am fortunate enough to have an American spouse. Applied for my green card this spring. After consulting Immigration Lawyers, family sponsorship is probably the only way right now/near future to be able to fly in the US

pumpkinpatch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pumpkinpatch »

All it takes is the FAA to change a rule that Canadian 705 time is equivalent to 121 time (which it is) and problem solved. If flights start getting cancelled, and the US economy is taking a hit don't underestimate what the USA can and will do in order to ensure things keep running along nicely.

Plus, if any majors hire Canadians they'll be in the right seat anyways for a year or two at minimum. The only issue for DECs would be at the regional level in which case the FAA could easily open it up to typed CRJ Captains/FOs in Canada with 1000-2000+ hours on type. All it takes is the flick of a pen. If the majors and Spirit, JetBlue, Frontier etc. can't find pilots and the majors don't want to pillage their regionals it could happen. But I will believe it when I see it.

Return to “General Comments”