What do helicopter pilots make?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

What do helicopter pilots make?

Post by Dronepiper »

I’ve always wondered. Please don’t say $500.

Who are the highest paid helicopter pilots in Canada? Lowest paid?
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What do helicopter pilots make?

Post by imjustlurking »

Dronepiper wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:50 pm I’ve always wondered. Please don’t say $500.

$500 is more than the lowest paid helicopter pilot salary.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Helicopter Pilots make a lot of noise!

Keep the dirty side down.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Beat me to it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Dronepiper wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:50 pm I’ve always wondered. Please don’t say $500.

Depends on where and what, this new generation coupled with the lack of work and the immortal old school mentality have bred an ultra cesspool of newer helicopter pilots in Canada (not their fault). Less that 1% can actually longline If that. The guys >15-20 years experience caught the good days and can dangle a line no problem and get paid very well for it depending on what they can negotiate, and what contract they’re driving.
Pay - I don’t think this new generation make too much, I’ve heard grumblings of guys with close to 2000 hours making less than 3000 / month with flight pay all over the place (30-100/hr), even better I recently met a 500 hour wonder making 1600/month and no flight pay (I don’t know how that’s legal). It’s a very hard thing to answer as it’s such a small industry and Varys greatly with experience, training, certifications, and the work itself. I know the guys my experience and better can make deepish into six figures (3-400k) or more, but they’re never home or even in country, and that’s WHEN there’s a demand which right now there really isn’t one, and hasn’t been in a very long time, it’s never consistent demand. The highest paid utility pilots in the public sector that actually have a salary and pension would be hydro one, opp and rcmp. It’s not necessarily in that order but hydro would be on top if things are still the same, they’re no longer published on sunshine, but I haven’t checked that in years.
Corporate guys, you’d have to ask personally and you’ll never get a straight answer.

Last edited by Bug_Stomper_01 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

It will be difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on this because we're all naturally protective of that information, or contractually unable to give an honest answer. Ballpark though, just starting out you'd be really lucky to be in the $30K range when you have a wet licence and no experience, next step up around $50K once you've got a solid foot in the cockpit, then up to around $75K when you can do some speciality work and have enough time to work on Government contracts, then over $100K once you move into larger aircraft types, and bring those speciality skills with you. A few on the VFR side, very few, can be as high as $150K-$200K. Did I mention that's very, very, few? On the IFR side - a new First Officer would be in the $50K-$72K range depending on experience, and a Captain $100K-$125K depending on experience and terms of the contract or working agreement. It's a tough racket to get into, and there are many bitter individuals that will tell you to stay away and go fly fixed-wing.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

EasyTarget wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:45 pm It will be difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on this because we're all naturally protective of that information, or contractually unable to give an honest answer. Ballpark though, just starting out you'd be really lucky to be in the $30K range when you have a wet licence and no experience, next step up around $50K once you've got a solid foot in the cockpit, then up to around $75K when you can do some speciality work and have enough time to work on Government contracts, then over $100K once you move into larger aircraft types, and bring those speciality skills with you. A few on the VFR side, very few, can be as high as $150K-$200K. Did I mention that's very, very, few? On the IFR side - a new First Officer would be in the $50K-$72K range depending on experience, and a Captain $100K-$125K depending on experience and terms of the contract or working agreement. It's a tough racket to get into, and there are many bitter individuals that will tell you to stay away and go fly fixed-wing.
I’d say you’re pretty close. Agree it’s a very tough industry, and it’s not getting any easier

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:48 pm
EasyTarget wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:45 pm It will be difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on this because we're all naturally protective of that information, or contractually unable to give an honest answer. Ballpark though, just starting out you'd be really lucky to be in the $30K range when you have a wet licence and no experience, next step up around $50K once you've got a solid foot in the cockpit, then up to around $75K when you can do some speciality work and have enough time to work on Government contracts, then over $100K once you move into larger aircraft types, and bring those speciality skills with you. A few on the VFR side, very few, can be as high as $150K-$200K. Did I mention that's very, very, few? On the IFR side - a new First Officer would be in the $50K-$72K range depending on experience, and a Captain $100K-$125K depending on experience and terms of the contract or working agreement. It's a tough racket to get into, and there are many bitter individuals that will tell you to stay away and go fly fixed-wing.

I’d say you’re pretty close, sounds like red white and blue numbers to me from a ways back. Agree it’s a very tough industry, and it’s not getting any easier, the oil boom definitely inflated those numbers for better than a decade (1997-2010). This industry has never been so volatile in my experience.

SpyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpyPilot »

Helicopter pilots make helicopters fly. What helicopter pilots earn by making helicopters fly is money.

How much money they earn, this I do not know.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

About $0.003 a wop.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

About $0.003 a wop
Depends MD500 or Bell 206. AS350 closer to Bell pay....

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

I would agree with Easy Target on the wage range. The rotary industry sucks, but all we would need is another busy fire year and exploration to pick up again and then you will see wages increase(maybe). The only problem with that is you get too busy and you are never home and your schedule is non-existent. Compensation in the industry has been stagnant for a decade. I’m one of those bitter people telling pilots to go fixed wing, and have been for years lol… Although I would love to know what Bug Stomper does to make 300-400k!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

donnybrook wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:01 pm I would agree with Easy Target on the wage range. The rotary industry sucks, but all we would need is another busy fire year and exploration to pick up again and then you will see wages increase(maybe). The only problem with that is you get too busy and you are never home and your schedule is non-existent. Compensation in the industry has been stagnant for a decade. I’m one of those bitter people telling pilots to go fixed wing, and have been for years lol… Although I would love to know what Bug Stomper does to make 300-400k!
Days long past. For me I always made more as an AME on average as a whole, peak salaries with flying like what I mentioned did exist slinging drill, seismic and bird towing (all oil and gas and exploration derivatives) and guys doing that were NEVER home. The money was very good pre 2010ish flying in Canada . Canada has nothing left for helicopter work, it’s all Ems, forestry and hydro,…. Little bit of coast guard, all of which, positions are filled for flying and fixing for the next 30 years. Think about all the big companies that have disappeared the last few years, those aircraft are for a large part gone from the country now. Wages and work conditions are brutal here now, I havent worked in Canada in a few years but did a stint this summer at my rate, it was horrible, a real eye opener to how low things have sunk. This is not the industry I started out in here on my domestic soil. And as for pitching people to go fixed wing? Na, it’s too boring and too much hard slugging for zero return. I think the helicopter game has come to a point that it’s nearly just a hobby career these days. A few people said in here they’d like to see anyone getting into this have a real profession to fall back on from this, I wholeheartedly agree.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Starting out you'll make peanuts, but that's standard for most aviation jobs when your new.

On the ground I made ~25-30k.

VFR jobs on intermediates I was 60-90 depending on how busy the year was. I have heard of intermediate jobs paying 150. Mediums was 80-130+ depending on the year. This would fluctuate alot with which company, what type of work and the year. Also more negotiation with each particular employer.

Police isn't bad, your 100+ depending on who your with.

IFR depends on what you do. Offshore in Canada was good when it was happening, not alot on the go right now. Salaries averaged 150+ depending on experience and if Capt or FO.

EMS your maybe mid 60s to 130+. Again depends if your Capt or FO and how much overtime you do and which outfit.

That's all domestic Canada, and only what I know or have heard from those doing said work. You could also factor in how stable each gig is and pension and all that stuff too.

Last edited by MOAB on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

I know guys in AB doing 90-110k on an A Star doing bush work.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

780Pilot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 am I know guys in AB doing 90-110k on an A Star doing bush work.
Bout average I think. You factoring in flight pay I’m assuming

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

MOAB wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:55 am Starting out you'll make peanuts, but that's standard for most aviation jobs when your new.

On the ground I made ~25-30k.

VFR jobs on intermediates I was 60-90 depending on how busy the year was. I have heard of intermediate jobs paying 150. Mediums was 80-130+ depending on the year. This would fluctuate alot with which company, what type of work and the year. Also more negotiation with each particular employer.

Police isn't bad, your 100+ depending on who your with.

IFR depends on what you do. Offshore in Canada was good when it was happening, not alot on the go right now. Salaries averaged 150+ depending on experience and if Capt or FO.

EMS your maybe mid 60s to 130+. Again depends if your Capt or FO and how much overtime you do and which outfit.

That's all domestic Canada, and only what I know or have heard from those doing said work. You could also factor in how stable each gig is and pension and all that stuff too.

Yep

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

80-130k. Outliers in VFR bush usually just work more days a year. Try being gone 250-300 days a year and you'll pull in 200+k Ambulance/IFR 80-130 but much easier life and schedule. Corporate is all over the map, billionaire yacht 150US+. Corporate charters ~100k and a tie.

For VFR you're on flight pay and without fires your pay will take 30% hit. The previous few years fires have been a wash out. There aren't many big flying jobs left. Pay hasn't really moved much in 20+years just like everyones else's wages.

OMNR, OPP, Coast Guard, RCMP - 80-100k.

Straight contract whore, fires and heli ski. 100 day contract summer ~3/2 schedule ~April-Sept and three 2 week tours skiing,~Dec-Mar shoulder seasons off. ~50-100k for the summer ~25k ski. ~150 days worked with training.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

The Mole wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:08 pm 80-130k. Outliers in VFR bush usually just work more days a year. Try being gone 250-300 days a year and you'll pull in 200+k Ambulance/IFR 80-130 but much easier life and schedule. Corporate is all over the map, billionaire yacht 150US+. Corporate charters ~100k and a tie.

For VFR you're on flight pay and without fires your pay will take 30% hit. The previous few years fires have been a wash out. There aren't many big flying jobs left. Pay hasn't really moved much in 20+years just like everyones else's wages.

OMNR, OPP, Coast Guard, RCMP - 80-100k.

Straight contract whore, fires and heli ski. 100 day contract summer ~3/2 schedule ~April-Sept and three 2 week tours skiing,~Dec-Mar shoulder seasons off. ~50-100k for the summer ~25k ski. ~150 days worked with training.
I think work to wage ratio hydro one makes most

Edmund
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Edmund »

If I was starting a career in aviation I'd go helicopter no doubt. As long as you don't mind working remote for long stretches and have an understanding family I think it would be a great career. And definitely pays higher than fixed wing

Return to “General Comments”