Your experience with mike lip lights

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Big Pratt
Rank 6
Rank 6

Your experience with mike lip lights

Post by Big Pratt »

Has anybody got any experience using mike mounted lip lights?
If so, what do you think about them? There's a lot of choices as far as light colours go, so which ones would you recomend?

I find them a little pricey but standard LED headlamps only come in vivid white that just kills night vision.

If you don't know what I'm talking about check out:
http://www.thehangar.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44
---------- ADS -----------

CH124 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CH124 Driver »

We're issued them for our flying helmets, I think it's one of the best things I've ever been issued. It shines where you look and is quite handy for reading approach plates or anything else. Ours are NVG green lights, so it kind of makes some of the things on the map a little hard to see, but it's not hard on the night vision. I use mine all the time.

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

I find they're only good close up....maybe I'm going blind.
I agree, the NVG green doesn't do much for clarity, but it is a necessity for NVG ops.
All in all, not too bad. Finger lights are great too for switch selection at night.

w squared
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by w squared »

If the regular LED lights are the wrong colour, just get yourself one of the black-barreled (alcohol based) Staedler markers in red. Then you can make the lens of the headlamp whatever colour you want. If you want it darker, just apply more coats.

Amazing what you can learn from an old infanteer, isn't it?

Please don't tell my mother that I work in the Oilpatch...she still thinks that I'm the piano player at a whorehouse.
Big Pratt
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Big Pratt »

Thanks for the tips guys. Good stuff.

Oh and w squared, does it mean that if I use a black marker I get black light??? :roll:

w squared
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by w squared »

Yeah. Sure. Use a black Staedler and you can have black lite in the cockpit. It's still up to you to recruit the gogo girls wearing body paint that flouresces in the LED powered nightclub that is your cockpit.

Please don't tell my mother that I work in the Oilpatch...she still thinks that I'm the piano player at a whorehouse.

Return to “General Comments”