Logging and GPS w/ weather on a PDA??

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Logging and GPS w/ weather on a PDA??

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I was looking to get myslef a logbook in anticipation of school this sept. I was looking around and I found this, which has "flight planning" and just about everything else but the kitchen sink lol, the only thing is I dont know if it has a full eb6 calc. Anyway what do you guys think about this one?

APIC
http://www.approach-systems.com/apic.asp

-SuperchargedRS
---------- ADS -----------

critical engine
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: A Little Outta The Way Place, That Serves Great Viking Food

Post by critical engine »

mmmm

school huh. do ya really think you need that in school?

learn the basics, like we all did. learn the wiz wheel, adf,slant dist. sooner than later you'll be behind a glass flight deck wishing you could download a vor or adf for your palm.

having said that, if you have money you wanna throw away, it could be fun, but personally would get a great anr headset that will last along time like the sennheiser 450

A good handheld gps cant hurt either. something like the airmap 1000. you can get the terrain warning option if you have too much money in the bank

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I shoulda said I have a PDA (had it since college...other college), and I have a gps on the PDA, so it is just the 90 bucks for the program. The only reason that I was looking is that the school recommneds a flight calc, so I figured if i could knock a few birds out for less then I paid for my ti-83 back in high school why not.

Or maybe I should be a little more froogle lol.

ROJer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ROJer »

Learn the whiz wheel. You don't have to recharge the batteries. :D

ROJ

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Supercharge..

I have been using the PDA with Anywheremap ever since they started in business...

...these PDA programs are awsome, anyone who gives you any other opinion more than likely never used one...

...then again what would I know about the subject, cause I can't find a use for a whiz wheel anymore...maybe I should take one to a lake and see if it can be used to skip across the water.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
bluesideup
Rank 2
Rank 2

pda

Post by bluesideup »

ha ha ha.....I am with you Cat!

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

SuperchargedRS wrote:ti-83 back in high school
You could actually program your TI into something quite suitable for flight planning.

One other factor you do have to take into account are TC exams. They allow either slide rules (CR-3, E-6B, etc), and certain models of electronic flight computers (can't recall where they were listed). So you'll probably have to learn one flight computer or another no matter what.

That said, there are many more modern ways to do what the old slide rules do. Many aviation GPSs have "calculator" pages when you're flying, and computers are everywhere for your planning needs.

Goodbye,

Louis

Big Pratt
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Big Pratt »

I could be wrong but a PDA based E6B is not allowed on Transport Canada Exams, look into it.
I agree with CAT that PDA based nav and planing is amazing but learn and become comfy with either a whiz wheel or a regular approved electronic E6B. Just so that you're not surprised when you show up for an exam.

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

Try this:
http://lauriedavis9.tripod.com/copilot/
It's called CoPilot and does all of the E6B stuff really easily. Best of all, it's free. Thanks to WannabeATP for that.
Now, if anyone can tell me how to run a moving map that has decent detail on my iQUE 3600 that would be cool.

Big Pratt
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Big Pratt »

Also forgot to mention this.
Whenever doing a calculation, play a game with yourself of guessing what the answer will be. It serves two purposes, it helps to hone your guesstimating skills which can come in handy if the electronic calc goes belly up and second, you'll roughly know what to expect as an answer. If the answer is way off you'll know right away you made a mistake.

Never turn off your brain when you turn the calculator on and remember
***Garbage in, garbage out***

Return to “General Comments”