Bird Control... any tricks?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Bird Control... any tricks?

Post by Northern Skies »

I am in an all-out battle with an extremely cunning and creative bird population. They love to build a nest right between a pair of millenium cylinders, and it's a pain in the ass to clean that every morning. They're always finding ways into the tail too.

We block just about everything with foam, and they still get in.

A 12 guage solution is overkill. I don't have time for a trained falcon, but that would be fun. I'm thinking of trying owl statues and one of those ultrasonic devices I saw in a magazine once, etc.

Any tips?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Bird Control... any tricks?

Post by goldeneagle »

Northern Skies wrote:We block just about everything with foam, and they still get in.

A 12 guage solution is overkill.
If they are small enough to wiggle in even with all the foam in, you are right, a 12 guage is definitely overkill. A .410 is more than adaquate.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

nah, I'd probably make more holes for them to get into. Sure would be fun though and mmmmmm.........barbecue.......

Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Grab a loaf or two of bread, soak in Drano, spread the crumbs where you wish...........sit back and watch the birds fall from the sky mid-flight! Just make sure PETA isn't watching!

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I have seen hangars where they put a flashing strobe (available in an automotive supply store) in the rafters. Anoys the shit out of the little bastards.
A .410 also works well.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Download predatory bird sounds from the internet and blast them at full volume in the hangar 24/7.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

sounds good, keep the ideas coming.

This is outdoors..... no hangar

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Owl on the cowl.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

if you can shoot'em right in the cowl, I suggest an air rifle. Hard to damage your plane with a pellet gun(although if you try you probably could!)

Don't bother with a bird cannon... I've seen that trick fail miserably before.

Hey, what about building them legitimate bird houses? Give'm an alternative. Could backfire though by having more birds to deal with! :D

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

I find the worst birds for nesting are starlings and grackles. If your troublesome birds are no smaller than this, get yourself some small-mesh fishing nets and drape them over the plane. They're light, easy to remove and the birds hate them. If you have one handy, a cat really augments this system as they love to grab any birds caught in the net!

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
JTP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JTP »

I've heard the owls work good. But if your going to shoot em get .22 cal bird shot, u need to be withing 10 feet but the bonus is that you will not have any holes in your hanger roof. Also use an old 22 as the bb's wear the rifling down. GL.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Set up a bird feeder right next to the plane and run a cow fence to it......birdies get a free last meal and electricity takes the path of least resistance.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

It's that time of year again.

Strobes are ok, but they only work if they're near the bird. I'm not sure you want to put one inside your cowl, but it's an idea.

I might suggest getting a minimum 100W stereo system, and playing Celine Dion at maximum volume 24/7. I don't know of any living creature that could tolerate that for more than a brief interval.

CarbIce
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CarbIce »

I used to make a nice bed and feed treats to the hangar cats so they would take up residence in my hanger.... never had a problem, other than wiping some cat prints off the wing once in awhile.

yak driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yak driver »

Go to Home depot to the pest control section, they have rat killer in bird seed format. Just keep feeding them, until no more birdies eat the 'bird seed' anymore. Read the warning labels and keep it away from animals/people that you like.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Hey, I like the poison bird seed trick ... with a bit of luck, you could start an H5N1 scare :lol:

Reminds me of the time our #4 pilot bought a dead shark in BC, stuffed it into his T-33, and left it beside a river in Manitoba, and started the Winnipeg Great Shark Panic :wink:

grounded
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grounded »

Here's a trick I learned a long time ago, but have never had the time to try. Take an Alka-seltzer tablet, break it up into small pieces and wrap fresh bread around it. ( if the birds are really small this probably won't work) The birds will eat the bread and the Alka-seltzer will start foaming up. As birds cannot belch, this pressure has to go somewhere. If the bird eats enough bread, this pressure will cause the stomach to explode, killing the bird. If it doesn't die, it is at the very least unpleasant. Let me know if this works if you try it.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
ykzrampie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ykzrampie »

This is what we use... :D It was really hard to get him to agree to posing for this shot.

Image[/img]

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I have been told that the Alkaseltzer works as well. A friend of mine was having some trouble while fly fishing when seagulls kept taking his hook right out of the air. You ever tried to unhook a snagged gull?

heavymetal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by heavymetal »

If you throw a few moth balls in the cracks where they are getting in or spray their nests with ammonia (certain glass cleaners work too) the strong scent usually keep the buggers out. If all else fails a cookie sheet with some a thin layer of anti-freeze on the highest object will take care of them. Far more humane then killing them with draino or alka-seltzer but still not a good idea to advertise.

I'm never played as the villian in the stories I've told.

Return to “General Comments”