Medicals?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

enroute
Rank 1
Rank 1

Medicals?

Post by enroute »

-Just curious

Does anyone out there feel the same or is it just me?

Back when medicals had to be printed every year when renewed, we as pilots had to pay a "processing fee."

Now, the tree saving society that we are, medicals are only printed every four years. Right?

Well, my question is then, why is it that we still have to pay the processing fee every year at renewal?

Looking for some feedback...
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

AIP Canada subscription (supposedly). No, you may not opt out!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

PJ, is that correct? I thought the 40+ers have to go and do a medical every 6months, do they only pay one processing fee a year?

Last edited by cyyz on Sat May 29, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Nope! every 6 months. It is just another tax.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
OW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OW »

I've said it before and I will say it again: What do I get for $110.00 per year that is so much better than what a Private Pilot under the age of 40 gets for $55.00 every five years?

Someone explain that to me.

Thanks to deductions in my income tax return, I am now up to date in my $110.00 per year payments, but I haven't seen a tenfold increase in what I get for that money.

I know more Private Pilots who make much more money than many of the Commercial pilots that I know.

This is just another way for Transport Canada to try to stop us from being Commercial Pilots.

:roll:

Pilots get higher, SCUBA Divers do it deeper!
Always Moving
Rank 3
Rank 3

Privilege not right

Post by Always Moving »

OW you look at it the OLD WAY!
You still think, and I somewhat agree, that the licences are a RIGHT where the goverment thinks are Privilage.
So if youthink like they do.... you pay more becouse they have to check on you twice every year, instead of one every 5.

OW
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OW »

Actually, I don't think of my licence as a "RIGHT", any differently than I think of a drivers licence as a right.

What I am concerned with is getting value for my money, and not having to pay more than anyone else who gets the same value.

If you view the $55.00 recurrent fee as only a cost of medical renewal, then the charges are proportionate. The problem is that the fee is also to cover the quarterly updates to the A.I.P., which we all receive at the same time.

Since, under the new system, Transport only sees the medical at the fourth renewal (regardless of whether that is every two years or every twenty years), the fee is the same.

The A.I.P. updates are not done that way. Why should a Commercial Pilot over 40 years of age have to pay 10 times as much for the same service?

Not a right or a privilege, only (in my opinion) a rip off.

:evil:

Pilots get higher, SCUBA Divers do it deeper!
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

That's why I laugh every time I hear Paul Martin make claims about having lowered taxes in Canada. The slime bucket makes no mention to the slew of user fees and claw backs that the Liberals introduced to mlik :roll: the gullable taxpayer.
Lets boot them out on 6/28.

sport
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sport »

I am against user fees especially ones that seem to have the fees paying for what exactly (AIP ammendments?). I like to know were every penny of my money goes and with this fee I really have no idea. I am up for a medical here in a couple of weeks so why should I pay this fee again?

I would love to see this fee completely disappear as I am sure all of you would.

I propose getting rid of the AIP ammendments all together if this is where the money is going. How about getting a company like ASA to print the CARS/AIP in a nice book like the FAR/AIM and have everyone choose to buy the product if they want it or not. Let any company print the regs or AIP for that matter. Shouldn't cost more than $25 CDN a year.

The TC and the Canadian government need to be held more accountable for every penny of this user fee. How about include this in your next AIP ammendment, so where does every penny go :P . It is not the doctor getting the money, it sure doesn't cost more than a few bucks to print those cheap printed ammendments. Who is going to lose if this fee disappears? So who is pocketing the money :?:

This industry needs to ban together and tell TC to screw it, we aint paying anymore.

I always believed the voice of many will stop the corruption of a few.

So how about this, what user fees do you feel are a drag on aviation and why?

If you could get a thousand or so of your fellow professionals to agree with you here on AvCanada would you be willing to stand up as a group and say screw you TC we ain't paying?

Just a thought, anyone else interested in making some changes :D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Sport :

I undersaand your frustration, however you have it backwards.

Its the voice of a few versus the corruption of many...........Transport Canada is an old boys club, run by corrupt officials.....I make that statement based on documentation which I hold that will support that opinion.

User fees are another name for taxes.........taxes are what corrupt officials use to feather their own nests.

Lets examine two of our Government officials who are in the process of using our legal system to prove who is corrupt..

Namely our prime minister and Alfonso Gagardli ( or however you spell his name ) who claims he was wrongly removed from his position in Denmark.

Now here is my dillema, if I were to be asked who was the worst individual, Jack the ripper or Jeffery Dahlmer (sp? ) I would be faced with the same problem to decide which was worse if I were to be asked to choose between the former two.

You do not have to pay the medical fee, however they will deduct any fees owing from any tax return you may have coming to you.

I feel your frustration, however TC can kiss my ass because I no longer work under their corrupt system....

Cat.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
sport
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sport »

Just get rid of the AIP ammendments and let private companies copy and publish the CAR's/AIP.

Seems like an easy way to remove the fee/tax or force the government to tell me where the hell my money is going. Or force them to come up with some other creative way to say dish over my cash.

I know if someone published a CAR/AIP I would I buy one. I hate dealing with ammendments would rather buy a book that I know is 100% complete. How many of you actually have 100% of your AIP?

If I was only in charge :twisted:

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

If they weren't just interested in grabbing your money and making life difficult they would just have the AIP online and you could print it at your own expense whenever you had the urge. Christ sakes, they could give every pilot a PDA with the AIP and CARS in it, update it over the internet every couple months, and hit the break even point within a couple years.

Knowing the way those gong show jackass crooked Liberal cronies work in Ottawa, the $55 dollar processing fee is probably what it costs them to create, mail, process the invoice, and have an expensed luncheon meeting to discuss it all. The medical certificate is good for four trips to the doctor now because those morons would be losing money if they had to print and mail a new one each time.

Use your vote and dump these corrupt as--oles.

CPS1
Rank 1
Rank 1

CARS

Post by CPS1 »

The CAR's are published on the internet. See:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/RegSe ... s/menu.htm
Print out the sections you need...If you have a case of paper handy.
(It takes 55 bucks to make a link that long)...

Respect the weather.
Lookout for other traffic.
Fly safe.
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

To me, the only person credible enough to tell me when I need a medical, is my Doctor. As usual with aviation in Canada, the pilots are the ones screwed. It is in fact so rediculous, that it is funny. You should see the expressions on peoples faces when I start to reveal the facts about this industry.
Things slow? Not going well? Well then, here's a tax/user fee, that should fix it..And don't forget the Gouge&ScrewTax on top of that...f@#$ me.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

http://www.readersdigest.ca/mag/2004/04/doctor.html
What Doctors Wish They Could Tell You

94% of GPs wish they could say, “If you’re taking herbal supplements or over-the-counter drugs, or using alternative therapies, let me know.”

An Angus Reid poll in 2000 found that more than two thirds of Canadians take some form of nutritional supplement, including herbal products. “There is a public mind-set that if you’re taking a herbal preparation, it’s not an active pharmacological preparation,” says Dr. Mohamed Ravalia of Twillingate, Nfld. “So if you take a drug history and you don’t specifically allude to over-the-counter or herbal preparations, oftentimes the patient won’t volunteer it.”
Question, and yes, off topic, but didn't want to create a new thread..

If you do take even herbs or even vitamins are you supposed to tell the CAME??

Thanks.. And obviously you "should" tell him, but do you?

Return to “General Comments”