training bond legality

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

training bond legality

Post by bandit1 »

Hi guys,

What's the deal with training bonds or promissary notes being legally binding in a court of law?
---------- ADS -----------

Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

What's the matter, people walking out on your 4 year bonds?

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

Just say you were drunk/stoned/emotionally distraught at the time of signing it. You therefore had diminished capacity, and thus anything you signed is non binding.

(NOTE: for people in the future go to the pub/beer store RIGHT before signing anything big, buy a LOT of booz and keep the receipts. Then if in 8 years it becomes inconvenient to have signed said item, you have an out.)

PS: you could also go to a councilor/shrink before hand (DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE ABOUT TO SIGN SOMETHING BIG) but explain how horrible your life is and how upset you are. That will be documented on your file; and once again if in 8 years it becomes inconvenient then you can have those records pulled and POOF gone.

Just be sure you have shielded your assets before hand in case of a law suit;

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Snowgoose wrote:What's the matter, people walking out on your 4 year bonds?
I think he's the one who wants to run...

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

Anybody know anyone who faught a training bond/ promissary note and the company took them to court over it?

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

You can use your state of mind to void the contract only if you promptly retract your agreement upon becoming sane (sobre) again.

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

groundtoflightdeck wrote:You can use your state of mind to void the contract only if you promptly retract your agreement upon becoming sane (sobre) again.
I don't think so, im 99% sure you can pull it out whenever if you set up your story right. Then again anyone trusting legal advice from the internet really does have some issues...

Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

Actually CYYZ, I think he's from LCE in YKZ

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

Any other ways to void the training bond than being nuts, drunk or stoned? How about stupid?

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Walker wrote:
groundtoflightdeck wrote:You can use your state of mind to void the contract only if you promptly retract your agreement upon becoming sane (sobre) again.
I don't think so, im 99% sure you can pull it out whenever if you set up your story right. Then again anyone trusting legal advice from the internet really does have some issues...
Well I do hope when you sign "drunk," and right after go out for a flight, I hope you have a back up plan, because your career is over.

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

1) If a company requires anything more than a 1 year training bond, then you probably don’t want to work there.

2) If a company requires a training bond of any sorts where the training is going to be relatively cheap anyways, (say under 10 000), you don’t want to work there.

Companies should be able to keep their employees solely by creating a positive environment to work in. Those that don’t will have employees leaving. Training bonds are a shackle not a reasonable compromise.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

KFCpilot wrote:1) If a company requires anything more than a 1 year training bond, then you probably don’t want to work there.

2) If a company requires a training bond of any sorts where the training is going to be relatively cheap anyways, (say under 10 000), you don’t want to work there.

Companies should be able to keep their employees solely by creating a positive environment to work in. Those that don’t will have employees leaving. Training bonds are a shackle not a reasonable compromise.
lol

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

I totally agree with you KFCpilot but does anyone know what happens if you decide not to pay and it goes to court who will win?

Hickory Stick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hickory Stick »

who ever has the best lawyer?

You have no idea how good we have it in Canada!
Raybanman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Raybanman »

An actual bond is a little different than a promisary note. If you've co-signed on a loan with your company, then your kinda screwed no matter which way u look at it (as far as I know). A promisary note on the other hand is a different story. I've sent copies of promisary notes that I've been asked to sign to my lawyer and been told, in short, that they aren't worth the paper they're written on. And besides, you've signed these documents under duress. If you don't sign this, you loose/don't get your job no?
KFCPilot has a good point with this. I've worked at places under a training bond, and the reason that the companies bond is because people run, for various reasons, wether it be poor morale, pushed into weather, pushed to fly overweight, poor pay, or they just run off after bigger tin. If companies made working for them enjoyable and rewarding then these sort of situations wouldn't arise. I work for a company now that didn't require a training bond/promisary note to be trained on the twin turbine I now fly. I was asked for my word to stay for at least a year, and to not jump ship for a job on the same A/C (DHC-6). Our company has bonuses at x-mas time, above average salary for positions, and a 2 week on 1 week off schedule with overtime paid. Thats how you keep people IMHO.

Cheers,
PP

P.S. I just thought I should add that I've never bailed on a promisary note/bond, nor do I think that its ethical that anyone should do so. I do however feel that there are many companies that will use a signed training bond as a "pointy stick" as it were, having worked for at least one myself.

Last edited by Raybanman on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies: Not much good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
master switch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by master switch »

bandit1 wrote:I totally agree with you KFCpilot but does anyone know what happens if you decide not to pay and it goes to court who will win?
operators cant afford lawyers. you can probably just leave.

plus whod sign 4 years on a pc12 the way things are going now!

superiorwhore
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by superiorwhore »

master switch wrote:
bandit1 wrote:I totally agree with you KFCpilot but does anyone know what happens if you decide not to pay and it goes to court who will win?
operators cant afford lawyers. you can probably just leave.

plus whod sign 4 years on a pc12 the way things are going now!
Wheres it say that it is for a PC12.
And quite frankly, if you were dumb enough to sign a 4 year bond, be a man and stick it out unless its your dream job that has called. This is why we have these in the industry now.

Self respect for sale.
godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

This topic has been beat to death over the last year. They all lead to the same thing. Weasle your way out however you can. It is no wonder why these things are being shoved down our throats. You can say what you want about my word is golden. But just look at some of the responses. Then do a search on the site on this topic.

The fact is our word is not worth anything when you read things like.
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:55 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just say you were drunk/stoned/emotionally distraught at the time of signing it. You therefore had diminished capacity, and thus anything you signed is non binding.

(NOTE: for people in the future go to the pub/beer store RIGHT before signing anything big, buy a LOT of booz and keep the receipts. Then if in 8 years it becomes inconvenient to have signed said item, you have an out.)

PS: you could also go to a councilor/shrink before hand (DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE ABOUT TO SIGN SOMETHING BIG) but explain how horrible your life is and how upset you are. That will be documented on your file; and once again if in 8 years it becomes inconvenient then you can have those records pulled and POOF gone.

Its also been said on these forums keep track of every infraction you can see then when you want to leave you can tell them I am leaving and if you do anything about it what out I have names and dates.

This type of crap gives us all a bad name. The fact is there are a lot of people that are no good for there word. Now we are all getting to pay the price for it.

Yes over the years I have heard of cases going to court. I have heard of just as many lossing as winning. Most of it comes down to how low will you go to get out of keeping your word.

Gurundu the Rat
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gurundu the Rat »

Do you think the company cares about your bond when its time to dump your ass? In this industry you work for you. You are on your own. If your company has staffing issues that's their problem, not yours. No one is doing you a favour by hiring you. The simple fact is they need you to fly their planes or else they don't make any money. If a company can't pay your PPC they shouldn't be in business. If you get offered something better, I say go for it. I wouldn't do any lateral moves though, make sure it's worth it. JMO

GTR

DareDevil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DareDevil »

Best of luck with training bonds!

Why Fly Right Side Up, When You Can Fly Upside Down

Return to “General Comments”