Canjet shutting doors Sept. 10th

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

EI-EIO
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EI-EIO »

Just like WalMart in QC I guess - union = shutdown
---------- ADS -----------

asdfasd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by asdfasd »

Unions dont kill companies... well ok some do, but not Canjets.

Not all unions are heavy hitters. Take us for example. We are half way through our current contract and we just gave large concessions for new work. Any time KFC management has come to us looking for something, we always discussed the situation and bent towards the maximum benefit of the company and pilots combined. At KFC we are not a heavy handed union, our union primarily keeps things organized and equal for all. Prior to the union different pilots received different treatment (everyone had their own special deal). Our union just levelled the working conditions for all.

Requesting FL280
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Requesting FL280 »

Any layoff announcements been made regarding pilots?.... My folks had to get a refund for a flight next week and the reservation girl said she was done soon.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

flyinhigh wrote:Really not that bad a situation for some of the folks I know there that just started.
...but for the others that are not so fortunate, I'm sure you will get something right quick,.

cheers
Yeah more than likely Jazz will call everybody that WAS in the hiring pool and tell them they're being dumped in favour of newly available higher qualified applicants... :roll:

flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by flynbutcher »

I'll take that as a compliment! :lol:

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

It is bad management that kills company's, not unions.
Yes and no. Unions are simply a reaction to bad management. Bad management treat their employees badly. Bad management also treats their customers badly, ignores the competition, etc, etc.

Unions are simply a warning flag. When a union forms, you don't want to be a stockholder or employee. The company is a sinking ship.

Hey, hows BUZZ doing these days? Has he been able to shut down any more auto plants in Ontario lately?

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Hedley wrote:
Hey, hows BUZZ doing these days? Has he been able to shut down any more auto plants in Ontario lately?
LMAO

bmc
prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Unions are simply a warning flag. When a union forms, you don't want to be a stockholder or employee. The company is a sinking ship.
Using your logic, many corporations successful ones at that would be shut down and going out of business because they are unionized or going to be. As for the Auto Industry having difficulties, it is not the cost of the labour that is at issue, though the Mgmt of these companies would have us think this... the fact is that the American Auto Industry is out of touch with the consumer. The Japanese build a better product, plain and simple.

Unions come to be because there is no level playing field for the employee group, and in some cases, having "in-house" bargaining associations are merely there as a deterence to having an outside union. Unions have their place and as long as the local memberships ensure that the National leaders don't hijack a situation for political play they can usually work well. Unfortunately, this day in age, there is little the union can do by way of strike as scab labour and governement return to work legislation seems to be the norm.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Unions have their place
It would appear, not at Canjet.

hind sight
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hind sight »

I hope that those effected by Ken Rowe have finally seen the light.
I have many friends at Canjet and this is a sad day for them. Great people real crap management. Wishing you all the best!

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Is Canjet a public company? It would be interesting to see how much Mr. Rowe profited from its operation before it shut down.

Amazing how aviation attracts so many *ssholes, n'est-ce pas? Guess there are quick bucks to be made if you are clever enough to be able to get people/governments to invest; pay yourself a massive salary, annoy the competition and screw the employees, then sell out or take the money and run then close it all down.

Companies get the unions they deserve. It is obvious to me that the plan was never to run an on-going enterprise, but to make a quick buck and buzz off. Unions never killed a company, and if you think the impending addition of one here did the damage, you need to change your smoke.

The only real surprise in this whole scenario is that Westjet hasn't done the same thing yet, although I suppose it still could. Watch closely for when Mr. (Whatzisname? Beddoe?) sells his shares! Westjet IS Beddoe - when he sells, the stock will fall, and then where is your pension?

Are there training bond/promisory notes happening at Canjet? Still have to pay off the bank without a salary?

Another lesson: IF YOU ARE ASKED FOR MONEY UP FRONT FOR A JOB, YOU WILL BE SCREWED. Any questions?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Hedley wrote:
Unions have their place
It would appear, not at Canjet.
Proving with every post what an absolute ass-face you are ....

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I'm sorry, did I state something incorrect? Or, are you just having troubles dealing with reality, and are shooting the bearer of bad news? If so, perhaps you should find someone to talk to, about your psychological problems.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Hedley wrote:I'm sorry, did I state something incorrect? Or, are you just having troubles dealing with reality, and are shooting the bearer of bad news? If so, perhaps you should find someone to talk to, about your psychological problems.
Hey man I got a job...for now. And you just like to state the obvious with a smug grin on your face and hope everyone in here thinks your a genius.

To all my buds at CanJet , keep your chin up !!

sprucemonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sprucemonkey »

What was the company before Air Atlantic that Ken Rowe was a part of? Isn't this #4 down the tubes?

Good luck to all in finding new jobs soon. :(

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Sad day indeed.
I hope those effected find work fast...and they will being an extremely experienced pilot group.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
talkinghead
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by talkinghead »

CanJet blames rivals for its demise
BRENT JANG

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd. destroyed CanJet Airlines when the two larger carriers flooded the key Atlantic market with seat capacity, CanJet's parent company says in an internal letter to Ottawa.

Combined with high fuel prices, the aggressive moves by Air Canada and WestJet ruined Halifax-based CanJet's business plan to woo consumers with discounted fares and friendly service, said Bernard O'Rourke, a lawyer and senior vice-president at IMP Group Ltd.

CanJet's "performance deteriorated significantly in June and July of this year" after Air Canada and WestJet raised their already strong seat capacity by 10 per cent in CanJet's core Atlantic market, he wrote in a letter Tuesday to federal Labour Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn.

Industry insiders said yesterday that privately owned CanJet will become a shadow of its former self, contrasting sharply with the airline's assertion on Tuesday that it will re-emerge as a thriving charter firm after halting scheduled service this Sunday. CanJet, the country's third-largest carrier with an estimated 20-per-cent market share in Atlantic Canada, could be reduced to one or two planes operated by skeleton crews, said Art LaFlamme, spokesman for the Air Line Pilots Association.

Related to this article
Latest Comments
Start a conversation on this story
CanJet currently has nine Boeing 737-500s and "one sister ship, a Boeing 737-300," in its leased aircraft fleet, CanJet chief operating officer Julie Gossen said in an internal letter to employees.

IMP owner Ken Rowe and his daughter, Ms. Gossen, didn't return calls for comment. But in a three-page letter to Ottawa, Mr. O'Rourke outlined how the vast majority of CanJet jobs will be cut -- 456 layoffs in total, including 94 pilots, 122 flight attendants, 47 customer service agents and 31 mechanics based in Halifax. A detailed "downsizing" chart shows 376 job cuts in Halifax and 80 in Toronto.

Mr. O'Rourke complains that battling high fuel prices and staving off Air Canada and WestJet proved to be too draining, "destroying our financial projections and making continued operations unviable."

Four-year-old CanJet had "no choice but to close operations as soon as possible," fearing that giving ample advance warning would place a further strain on finances and compromise safety as mechanics quit "with little or no notice" to seek other jobs, he said.

"It would be impossible to run an airline for even a short period of time without incurring extraordinary losses once the public became aware of the pending closure," he wrote. "Many existing customers would cancel their existing flights and seek refunds."

Keeping quiet about CanJet's fate also avoids "jeopardizing the airline brand," he added.

Mr. O'Rourke, citing CanJet's plan to provide employment counselling and severance packages, asked Ottawa to waive provisions of the Labour Code to allow CanJet to expedite the shutdown of scheduled flights. A transition team is planned, with input from the Air Line Pilots Association and the Canadian Union of Public Employees, representing flight attendants.

Expansion in Halifax-based IMP's aerospace business unit will mean that "many technical employees" at CanJet will be able to find new jobs at IMP, he said.

CanJet said it tried but failed to keep its scheduled service afloat. "We have attempted to work with various strategic partners over the last month to attempt to radically overhaul the business in terms of its positioning," Mr. O'Rourke explained.

Montreal-based Air Canada and its Jazz affiliate said yesterday that they will use larger aircraft and also add flights to serve CanJet's Atlantic market "on an as-needed basis in September," followed by four new flights on existing routes in October.

Calgary-based WestJet said it will continue to monitor the market before making any decisions on adding seat capacity.

Industry experts estimate that CanJet holds up to one-fifth of the market share on Atlantic routes, but with its limited routes nationally, it has only about 4 per cent of the domestic passenger market.

Aviation consultant Rick Erickson said CanJet's problems are further evidence that it's tough for any upstart to battle Air Canada and WestJet.

"The domestic airline industry is very difficult to penetrate, with too small a population base to support three national carriers. In the end, CanJet simply wasn't a national player," Mr. Erickson said.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

From the website....

CanJet Airlines will Refund All Guests

(September 6, 2006)...CanJet Airlines wishes to advise that all customers with flights booked after September 10, 2006 will be provided with an automatic refund within the next 48 hours. CanJet recommends that any customer who does not receive an automatic refund within the next 48 hours should call the airline’s Reservations Sales Centre at 1-800-809-7777.
As well, CanJet Airlines has contacted WestJet Airlines and Air Canada and has requested they do everything possible to offer these individuals with CanJet flight bookings after September 10 the same fare they originally booked with CanJet.

CanJet customers booked beyond September 10, 2006 can contact WestJet and Air Canada either on-line or through their toll-free Reservations offices:

http://www.westjet.com or 1-888-937-8538
http://www.aircanada.ca or 1-888-247-2262

I wonder if K. Rowe lost a dollar?...

Spokes
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Spokes »

It may be the competition, or it may be crappy service. I have flown as a passenger with them once on a fairly long trip. I swore never again. I have never seen seats so close together in my life. It was the most uncomfortable trip I have ever been on. I have friends who have said the same thing. I met up with a Canjet Captain a couple evenings later in a bar in St Johns. We were drinking and of course some good natured ribbing was passed back and forth. I mentioned the seatring thing (I actually had to stick my legs in the isle to fit). She said there was no choice, the seat spacing is fixed by the manufacture of the spacing of the overhead stuff. Pretty weak excuse if you ask me.

Well, thats my only Canjet story. Not a great one, but there you go...

I suppose it is easy to blame the competition for providing better service, but that is the nature of the free market. I am not sorry for IMP, but am for all the people who lost jobs. The economy is fairly strong, hopefully they will find other employment soon.

Wahunga!
mduffy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mduffy »

Re: Pilots and Unions

Let's keep in mind that pilots require unions primarily because the CARS are too week to ensure safe and civil scheduling rules. Only if the CARS become more realistic could we start to argue whethe or not unions are necessary.

Return to “General Comments”