anyone take their pet flying?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

anyone take their pet flying?

Post by scubasteve »

Just curious if anyone has taken man's best friend up for a flight. Would like to someday do the fly in fishing/camping cabin thing and dont know if my pooch can handle it. or if its a good idea. He's pretty mellow but a hair under 130 pounds. Its the exposure to noise that I'm most worried about.
---------- ADS -----------

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

not my pooch, but this guy loved flying - couldn't keep him out of the 185 as he knew it meant either going to camp, or going home. Noise did not seem to bother him at all.
In this pic, he is sitting on dead moose head. yummy.

hellholeflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hellholeflyer »

Does my ex girl friend count? :twisted: Oh wait mans best friend not worst, my bad lol :D

grounded
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grounded »

I used to take my husky flying with me in the 172/Baron. He really enjoyed being in the front seat, and would fight with my girlfriend for shotgun. All was fine on the ground, and he'd sit up and look out the windows. When the power came on for takeoff though, he would jump down and crawl under the seat, and sit there until we landed. Quite funny to look down and see 60lbs of dog hiding under the seat showing me his ass!

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
1coolav8r
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1coolav8r »

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

Not a bad idea really?! Pooches need ear protection too!

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Took my lab up a couple of times; hardly worth the effort, he gets bored and goes to sleep.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

I took my bitch once....she never stopped drooling. I was not sure what to make of it.

AntiNakedMan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AntiNakedMan »

I took my dog up before, except it was super hot and bumpy and about a 4 hour trip so I had some nice dog vomit to clean up.

Other than that I imagined she loved it, she's always trying to get in the plane

Anti

"It's not the size of the hammer, it's how you nail" - Kanga
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Flew my boss's dogs in an out of camp a time or two this summer. No trouble other than one really hot day, just opened the window and the dog stuck his head out....no problemo.

ST

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I was gonna suggest you talk to FOXY but it lookes like 1cool guy has the link to the same doggie head phones she has on her avatar for a while. Really if your gonna go you may as welll do the full snoopy and get fido so doggles and a scarf too.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

My dog has been in most of the airplanes I have flown - no problems. Kindest thing you can do is bring a doggie bed, sleeping bag or something comfortable for puppy to lie on. If you have a high strung dog, try a couple of cookies or a pig's ear tucked away in the bed.

If you're flying in something bigger like an Otter, make a plank or ramp of sorts to offload the dog - they can get hurt pretty easily if they try to disembark out of control (particularly if you have a big dog that you can't safely carry yourself).

I've had many dogs in planes since I began my flying career, and the worst thing you might get is a bit of urine if they are scared or in very rare instances, a puker. Out of all the dogs flown, I've only ever had one of each of those. Its no big deal, you can always wash the bed.

I only recently found out about the dog hearing protection mentioned above. I would check that out if you don't mind spending a few bucks on your dog. I imagine the round engines must be really deafening (though the only airplane my dog didn't seem to like was the Cessna 185 - but then who could blame her!) but turbine engines are worse I think because of the high pitch.

Definitely take the dog! Dogs are people too you know....

Cheers,
Snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ ... 010671.jpg

Wilbur started flying in a Beaver on floats when he was 56 days old.

He has progressed to being my Chief Pilot / Ops Manager and is in charge of all dealings with TC.

Works out great for everyone as Wilbur is way ahead of most of the TC guys in the IQ department.

And they don't dare try and bully him.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

Thats Hilarious...

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

waterwings, i swear that dog is my dog's twin. mine went in the 185 and baron. my boss' cat shat in the baron once on rotation.

Return to “General Comments”