Thought for the Day: Fitness

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Thought for the Day: Fitness

Post by looproll »

Something I think about every day is my physical fitness. Your licence is only as good as your next medical. Think about that for a minute. Couch potatoes are at risk for heart disease, adult onset diabetes, and countless other things that will ground you, potentially for good. I was once a couch potato.

Being overweight I was always out of energy. I recall coming home from a day of flying and feeling like doing nothing else. I'd sit around, eat poorly, and play video games. Something had to give. I was on the path to diabetes and all sorts of other health problems. I felt and looked terrible. Determination was the key to my transformation.

I started running when there was still snow on the ground. At first, I could hardly run 1 minute at a time. Now I can run 10km without blinking. I feel better then ever and I don't have to worry about losing my medical and my career due to the awful health complications that come with being obese.

If you've been thinking about starting a fitness plan, get off your butt NOW and do it! Being fit positively affects all aspects of your life. You'll look and feel better, have more energy, and an upgraded ability to concentrate and handle stress. There are so many places to draw motivation and determination from. What do you have if you don't have your health?

I've enclosed a few links that were very helpful to me. The "Couch to 5K" program worked very well. It made me into a .. Running is one of the best ways to get fit. Stay with it! About.com was also very useful with lots of qualified advice and articles.

If you have a story about losing weight or fitness tips, please post 'em up! I've lost over 30lbs now and I'm never looking back.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml Couch to 5K Running program

http://exercise.about.com/

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisewo ... center.htm
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Thanks for the info looproll, I was just sitting at home the other day thinking that I had best get off my ass and get into shape lest my flying career be over before it begins. Being 6'4" and packing just a little extra weight on makes it very difficult to fit into a training aircraft.

So I have some goals for this summer... one of them being fitness. Wish my luck... I have said in the past I am going to do it, but this time it is for real!

crazy8
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by crazy8 »

I used the same couch to 5k last winter and have been running ever since. Works too I followed it up with a 10k race a few weeks later. Lots of links there to keep improving as well.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Excercise is something everyone should become addicted to. That and sex.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I changed my eating habits (cut out sugar, alcohol, while flour, watched my fat intake, smaller portions, eating frequently enough to never feel hungry or full, working out with weights and cardio 4 times a week) and droped about 20 LBS in 4 weeks.
Once I started drinking booze and eating some of the previous cut out foods, I find I stoped loseing, but haven't gained either. it's as much how much and when you eat as it is what you eat, and you do need to stay active.
I'm about to start the process again, and see if I can get down to what I feel is a good weight for me, I figure 1 month of hard work and eating strict, and then it's just MTCE from there.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
merlin
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by merlin »

It is new years! The gym will be packed for Jan. and back to normal for Feb. but I agree being fit is the only way to go.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

All these topics lately about drinking and fitness. Avcan has become so preachy these days :wink:
Whats next we must stop chasing booty? :smt018 :lol:

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
mbflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mbflyer »

Well - not much of a ., but I think the thing is finding something and sticking with it. My wife has lost about 30 lbs just from altering her diet slightly - more water, less starches and sugar.

I used to bike to my former place of employment - it was only a 16 km round trip, but I lost 30 lbs in 2 1/2 months.

I'm at a different place now, which makes biking harder, but I managed to bike Thurs & Fri, and that was a 32km round trip. The Winnipeg cold makes it even better :D

Hoping to take off that 30 lbs I gained back over the last 1 1/2 years!!

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Haza's tips to losing weight:

1) Cut out sugars and reduce your carbs by 50%
2) Work the ramp and move airplanes by hand

You too can be as hard and sexy as me!

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

If you all need a workout for on the road, here are some sites that offer some great body weight only workouts. Great for a hotel room, limited gym etc.

The EVA T Site is the best for body weight only stuff.
The CrossFit site is awesome if you have a little bit more to a lot more equipment.

Have fun with then.

http://www.skievat.blogspot.com/

http://www.crossfit.com/

If you have questions there are videos for most of the workouts on Crossfit. I can answer most questions as well.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

grounded
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by grounded »

That's a lovely collection of teapots and trinkets you have there Haz. :D

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I'm always happy to see people trying to get fit, however for some of you it's looking like your on a balloon type diet.

A good rule for weight loss is 1lb per week.

I went from about 205 lbs before I joined the Marine Corps, to 205 today. I could barely run 3 miles in 25 min, and could only do 4 pull ups on my intial fitness test.

Now I run 3 miles in 19 minutes and do 16 pull ups (part of our physical fitness test). I recently placed 2nd in a triatholon and have a few more trophies from 5 and 10K races.

Weight loss isn't the only way to get healthy.

Good luck.

PFT explained

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Hey Nark. Do I have what it takes to be a Marine?

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

You bet.

Unfortunately you'll have to get rid of the goatee. Everyone has to sacrifice during times of war. :D

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

I'm not trying to say lose weight, "BE FIT" is my motto. My weight loss was simply a result of the fat loss. I did very little as far as diet other than drinking tons of water and cutting out the really bad things I was eating all the time. As I get into it more I'm very careful about what goes in. Your meals should contain carbs, protein, and fats in the correct ratios. Now that the fat is down, time to build some lean muscle! I believe strength training is very important in the optimum fitness equation. Cardio and strength training is the best way to get in top physical shape.

Golden Flyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Golden Flyer »

hazatude wrote:Excercise is something everyone should become addicted to. That and sex.
Might I add that sex is a good exercise?

"Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible"

Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

All Pilots & Prospective Pilots Should Have Read:
http://walter.freefuelforever.com
Walter Gilles
Emirates: B-777
alpha1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alpha1 »

my fat sorry ass is addicted to sugar....any former sugar addicts with any advice?

"Honi soit qui mal y pense"
dhc-t2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dhc-t2 »

I have to drop the "Ale" diet... Any advise?? Sugars, Pastas (Starch), Coffee/Cream, New York Fries, the works.. All gotta go.

Exercise is KEY.

Return to “General Comments”