Flight helmet

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Flight helmet

Post by tazin river »

Any of you folks using a fix-wing flight helmet? Gentex vs Gallet? Where can we order them in Canada?

Thanks

Tazin
---------- ADS -----------

snowshoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

hard hat

Post by snowshoe »

hi taz:

am quite sure there is no one dealing in Gentex in Canada. have had a custom mold/fit one for close to 20 years and it came from the old Flight suits Int. in San Diego. i think the company is now known as Gibson&Barnes. try http://www.gibson-barnes.com

midcontenent aircraft in Haiti Missouri was at one time an outlet for Gentex. they sold the "ag-tex" model, is the model that does not require the wax molding to get the fit. they use some material like bubble wrap that you arrange for comfort. far as i know ,both of these outfits also provide refurbishing if required.

you could also contact Yorkton Aircraft in Sask.. they're quite heavy into the ag side and at one time were selling helmets. only thing i know for sure it was not a Gentex. afraid can't help you with the other helmet. totally unfamiliar with the brand.

hope this info helps

snowshoe[color=green][/color]

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Conair used to have a supply of them - don't know if they would sell to the public, but who knows? They would know how to get 'em. Ask for stores.
1 800 855 1171

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
lowlevel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowlevel »

Got mine from flight suits in California. Great helmet, not cheap but would recomend it to anyone. As far as the ones Yorkton Aircraft were and I emphasize were, selling they were definately not as durable as flight suits. They were alot cheaper but i always wondered what they would look like coming out of an accident. I think you can buy some types of used helmets from the states, just surf the net and you will find what u need to know about. As far as finding good ones out of Canada you might be out of luck. Just Remember you are trying to save your noggin', and you get what you pay for!

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

lowlevel wrote: Just Remember you are trying to save your noggin', and you get what you pay for!

Great advice, mine was $2000 and I wear it everyday, don't cheap out on one, or accept a fit that isn't right - you'll regret it.

STL

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Unfortunately, Gibson & Barnes can no longer export helmet to Canada. Something to do with weapon export licence from the state department (Yes, in the US law a flight helmet (military type helmet with radio communication) is considered a weapon...).

How ever, they do sell to Canadian citizens provided it is shipped to the US. A Canadian citizen can then legally export this helmet (the law provides for exemptions for Canadian).

This is how I got mine from G&B last year.

F

nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

I got mine reburbished and same sotry but called Gentex directly and the solved the problem for me.

bandit1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bandit1 »

(Yes, in the US law a flight helmet (military type helmet with radio communication) is considered a weapon...).

GOD BLESS AMERICA

bigredone
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigredone »

Ten cent head, ten cent helmet. Gentex is ok but if your doing 5-600hrs/ year youll need a refurb every five years or so. Alpha is tops if you got the cash.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Quoted directly from the linked website on the application uses of a Gentex MILSPEC helmet for FW use:
Caution: HGU-55 helmets have been designed for use in fixed-wing aircraft and offer limited impact protection. Users with different applications should consider helmets with greater impact protection designed specifically for their applications.
If you are looking for a helmet to save your head from impact - go for a RW designed brain bucket.

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

I went through this dilemma when I got my HGU55. It is true that helicopter helmets offer greater lateral protection then fix wing helmets. Their shell is thicker on the sides simply because helicopter have a tendency to roll over during a crash. However, they are heavier. Fix wing aircraft have less a tendency to roll. Something to do with those long fixed thing on each side of the fuselage.

If you will use your helmet in a Choper, then by all means buy a choper helmet. Makes no sense to do otherwise. If you are like me and use the helmet exclusively in a fix wing, then the extra protection will not help but the extra weight will hurt your neck during all that acro.

cheers,

F

nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

HGU-33 good for fixed wing crashes...Tested!! Bought a new after that though.

kingeddie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kingeddie »

Alpha Eagle 900 is a great helmet . Available through interactive safety products in Mooresville NC .. Price is comparable to a gentex

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

A helmet is the very best device for saving your hearing - above a certain sound pressure the damage is done by the vibration in your skull. A helmet damps that vibration.

You'd look great flying a screaming wienie with a helmet!

We abandoned helmets after we discovered that all the accidents that were occurring were fatals, so there was no point in wearing one, but everyone screwed their hearing. You also have to have a neck like a linebacker if you are pulling any Gs, either that or a resident physiotherapist.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

Xs,

The neck issue is not too bad. Weight is one of the reason I went with the HGU55 instead of the Helicopter style. Being designed for the fighter jocks, it offers many features important to me; lighter weight, extra large facial opening (for increased field of vision, I actualy can't see the helmet) and super high neck opening (to allow freedom in head movement).

Truth is I don't fly with it every day, but when I do fly I always end up with 5 - 6gs on the meter. Never had any neck issues.

cheers,

F

eternalhold
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flight helmet

Post by eternalhold »

Any idea if the export ban will be lifted anytime soon, or if there is anyway to go about shipping international? I wouldn't mind taking a trip to San Diego (aka a whales v@gin@) but it seems kinda wasteful just to pick it up.

av8tor_assrope
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by av8tor_assrope »

if anyone's looking for a helmet, you're in luck, i'm selling my HGU-55. only used it for about 100hrs. it's in near new condition with all the coms, cords, and mounts.

pm me and i'll give you the run down.

cheers

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
ottawa,kan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ottawa,kan »

If it would help I'd be willing to reship something. But I'm sure not in San Diego. Also it's Hayti Missouri, and it's none to close to here either.

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

eternalhold wrote:Any idea if the export ban will be lifted anytime soon,
E,

It is not an export ban. The companies can export if they chose to obtain an export permit. Gibson&Barnes, the major seller for general aviation choose not to get a permit. Truth is they have more then enough business inside the US so they prefer not waste time and $$ on getting the permits.

F

Return to “General Comments”