Ramp Checks

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Just Curious wrote: This permits a number of interesting and forthright discussions every day. It also encourages some frivoulous ones, and you can guess which way this one is headed. While this back and forth between you two over the last few months has been interesting, clearly neither of you is going to take steps to resolve the impasse between you . Get a couple of duelling pistols if you want and start pacing off outside... but stop wasting bandwidth with this infantile back and forth.

Cat: I offer you every encouragement on winning your TC battle. But try and stay on point in future.
AW: if you were in theory, an inspector, your approach while on line here isn't representative of most of the CAI's I know. If you are one, you might want to consider learning what a reasoned approach is.

I'm not interested in any He Said/ She Said PM's from either of you. You're both over 18, settle it amongst yourselves.

Image ...okay...I feel guilty of something I haven't done.
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Hey, Just courious, what is with you?

I have never PM'd you about anyone on this forum, I could't be bothered , maybe you have me confused with someone else? :mrgreen:

CClub :

Why would I be appaled that a TC inspector was polite? That is what they are supposed to be, remember we are thir client and pay their wages.

What I am against is their use of ramp checks to hassle law abiding citizens trying to find something such as some poor bastard having forgot their license at home so they can extort more money from us.

Thank God I don't have that problem overseas.

If they spent more time investigating operators who flaunt the rules maybe this industry would be safer.

But hell no, lazy people just take the easy way and fish for infractions among the general pilot pool.

Oh well I could care less, like I said I got smart and don't fly in Canada for a living.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Funny, how they'll ding you if a bolt is missing, but the PIC can be wasted and they won't say much...

CClub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CClub »

Cat Driver: I just figured that you probably wouldn't believe if I said Transport was actually nice to me! :D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Cclub :

No not in the least, some of my best friends are or were TC people.

The problem that I have is there is an ingrained systemic rot within the body of the regulator, the problem is a result of missmanagement at the top resulting a culture of fear within the lower ranks.

We must root out the people who are responsible for this sorry state of affairs, or you will have an unhappy career.

I understand only to well the reluctance of the younger genreation to believe that a regulating body such as TC could be tainted by corrupt top management, but you must believe it.

I fully intend to do my best to bring about changes for the better, I owe that to you and all those who follow me in this industry.

Aviation has been good to me over the years, and believe me there was a time when we had a good working relationship between TC and us the grunts who work on this side of the business.

Even if I fail at what I have started, maybe some day someone will pick up where I left off and finish what I tried to do.

Anyhow for what ever it is worth I can compartmentalize these things and live a normal life flying for a living and still grind away at bringing accountability to those who taint our industry through dishonest corrupt power brokering and bullying those who work under them.

Are you aware that we have top level managers in TC, who have been found to be corrupt that are not only still in their positions of power but still get "performance bonuses" ? Truly a disgusting state of affairs.

I can name them and show proof of the foregoing using their own internal documents...sent to me by my friends in TC in plain brown envelopes.

If you don't believe me e-mail the office of the Regional Director General Transport Canada, Pacific Region and you will find that I produced such documents at a meeting with the RDG last year...he agreed that they in fact were genuine internal documents.....it just drives them crazy trying to figure out who is sending me these documents....one of which had in large lettering across the top.

PROTECTED...please shred when finished.

Yup, it just drives the bastard nuts when I toss this stuff on the desk in front of him and ask him if he recognizes what I have.....

So Cclub , no, I'm not at all surpised there are good people there, hell I know some of them. ( The person referred to above is not one of them by the way...far, far from it, in fact he is part of the problem. )

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CClub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CClub »

Cat,

I believe you completely when you talk of corruption within the ranks. TC is government beaurocracy to the core. I glad to hear you are fighting it as much as you possibly can. I hope you can bring changes.

I might ad, that when the ramp check was started I was really wondering what kind of inspector I would get. My successful ramp check could have just as easily been a violation, going by what other people have told me!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

There are far more useful ways that TC could use their time other than conducting ramp checks, such as really investigating and enforcing the rules with companies that flaunt them and force pilots to be rule breakers.

However that is not how they work, there are political considerations that TC bend to and real enforcement is not carried out.

Like here where I live, we have RCMP manning speed traps sometimes using three cars and six officers and just a few blocks away the drug dealers ply their trade while the addicts assault old people and rob them in broad daylight.

There is no money in catching crimminals, but lots of money catching the working stiff exceeding the speed limit.

However my issue with Transport Canada is not how they carry out their day to day duties but rather the TC top level management who are corrupt...

Until we change that part of TC we will never get changes in the manner in which they regulate.

Cat

snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

I have to agree with everything said about TC.
a.) There are many good honourable and worthwhile people working there.
b.) There is a lack of control over certain despicable and useless individuals whom I would like to drag into court and see fired from government employ because they are jailbait.
c.) Upper management of TC are crooked as dogs' hind legs. I have their lies in writing. This makes them guilty by association.

Just tell me how I can help clean up this vipers nest of authority abuse, vindictive behaviour, and careless disregard of truth and incompetence.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

snaproll :

" Just tell me how I can help clean up this vipers nest of authority abuse, vindictive behaviour, and careless disregard of truth and incompetence. "

Wow, I had forgotten this thread from way back.

To answer your question here are two ways.

(1) Any genuine complaints against TC can be posted at this site.

http://www.underground.tc.ca/

(2) We then get a group together and using our MP's we demand that our elected officials investigate and where wrongdoing is proven, remove the wrongdoers from the public payroll.

I will put up several candates with proof of wrongdoing.

And they are at the top.

. .

Cat

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Check out the TC and the Cat forum. if your interested in this topic.

Croissant Wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Croissant Wrench »

Let's hear some TC names or are all you tough guys just weanies.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

This is why you fight every ticket, my late Uncle "a Justice" once told me that fighting a tricket cost the government in the order of 500$, your 150$ fine and upped insurance can't recover that for them. if 10% of the tickets were fought you would bankrupt the system in a month.
Cat Driver wrote: Like here where I live, we have RCMP manning speed traps sometimes using three cars and six officers and just a few blocks away the drug dealers ply their trade while the addicts assault old people and rob them in broad daylight.

There is no money in catching crimminals, but lots of money catching the working stiff exceeding the speed limit.

Cat
CW they'll just edit it

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

i can't believe this one got revived...

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Cat Driver wrote:
Like here where I live, we have RCMP manning speed traps sometimes using three cars and six officers and just a few blocks away the drug dealers ply their trade while the addicts assault old people and rob them in broad daylight.

Cat

Cat I think that mentality is throughout the Federal Government.

Have you ever noticed that when you clear customs in the U.S they want to know who you are and what are you doing in the states.

In Canada, the customs agent only wants to know what you bought outside Canada and what duties may be owing on said item.

Revenue is all they care about and there is more money in speeding tickets rather than catching criminals.

Standby for new atis message
snaproll20
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by snaproll20 »

To Croissant Wrench.

Yes, I have names. I also have written evidence, signed by them (TC management).

Firstly, I cannot post them on Avcanada, as you should well know.
Secondly, innocent people would suffer if I did.
Thirdly, since you live in Hull, you probably work at TC.
SO, my questions for you are:

1.) Are you, truly, an honest person?
2.) Do you have integrity?
3.) Would you act in the spirit of truth, democratic process, in accordance with the CARS, the Civil Service Code (and all the other rules which civil servants are subjected to)? This would mean seeing some of your bosses fired, you should be warned.

If you can answer all of these questions in the affirmative, I might consider putting all of the information in your hands, for determined corrective action.

If you answer only one question in the negative, or even have a doubt, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

In the meantime, I will wait my time.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Croissant Wrench: You said.....

" Let's hear some TC names or are all you tough guys just weanies. "

Snaproll answered....

1.) Are you, truly, an honest person?
2.) Do you have integrity?
3.) Would you act in the spirit of truth, democratic process, in accordance with the CARS, the Civil Service Code (and all the other rules which civil servants are subjected to)? This would mean seeing some of your bosses fired, you should be warned.

Having read all your contributions to Avcanada, I also am waitng to see how you handle these three issues...

And I am not a weanie.

Cat

Jet Dog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jet Dog »

I wished I was an oscar myers weaner :cry:

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Been flying flying for 36 years and have never been asked for my licence or been checked in any way discounting rides of course.

I do have funny story about an enforcement visit to our operation many years ago in the 70's
Two Transport guys (one ex mountie) walk in the office and present their credentials to our manager. They're crafty and do a little snooping discovering the log book to one of the aircraft thats out flying is sitting by the cash register. They inquire to the aircrafts whereabouts and the manager says she is expecting its arrival shortly. (All our log books were protected by an aluminium cover that is so common now days.)
They ask what slip the aircraft would be using and are told, so they decide their best course of action would be to go out on it to wait it's arrival.
Meanwhile our manager who was wise to these guys called me in the office. She handed me the aircraft journey log and told me to take the truck and wait for twin beech CF-R-- at the five mile dock out of town. She put the book in an aluminium binder that belonged to another of our aircraft and instructed me to tell the pilot to have it filled out before he gets to the our dock.
She then made contact with CF-R-- on unicom and told the pilot to land at the 5 mile dock before coming to base. The two enforcement guys are none the wiser. :roll:
Long story short I handed him his log book told him that enforcement had a reception waiting for him. He decided to unload a little gear and two of his 6 passengers just to be on the safe side, I carried them back to the base in the truck. He took off for home. By the time I'd returned to base with the two passengers and gear the whole thing was over. Later that day when it was safe to talk, CF-R--'s pilot told me the look on both inspectors faces was priceless. I guess they were so eager to make a bust they couldn't wait to see the aircraft unloaded. As soon as the gang plank went down they boarded the aircaft waving their badges told everyone to remain seated and demanded the journey log. Of course it was filled out perfectly and the load was legal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The next year that same pilot joined the ranks of Transport Canada. He's about to retire soon and from what I've heard about his career, he's well respected and is one of the good guys. 8)

Return to “General Comments”