Westjet flight's sharp drop injures 9

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Boss Hawg
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: North of somewhere and south of everything to the north

Westjet flight's sharp drop injures 9

Post by Boss Hawg »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/ ... lence.html

Nine passengers on a WestJet flight from Calgary to Halifax were injured Thursday night when a sudden 300-metre drop threw them around like rag dolls, passengers say.

After the flight landed safely at Halifax Stanfield International Airport shortly before 7:30 p.m., two passengers were brought to hospital by ambulance, while the others were treated at the scene, airport spokesman Peter Spurway told the Halifax Chronicle Herald.

There was no immediate word from officials on the extent of the injuries, but a nurse aboard the flight said one man had bad lacerations to his head and leg.

Passengers say the pilot warned about the turbulence on the intercom, but many didn't have time to secure their seatbelts when, seconds later, the plane dropped straight down.

"All of the people rose up in their seats to where they had just been and hit their heads on the roof," passenger Scott Lacroix, 30, told the Halifax Chronicle Herald.

Those standing were thrown to the floor and around the plane like rag dolls, one passenger said.

The plane was about 330 kilometres north of Sudbury when the turbulence happened, a Westjet spokesman said.

Two nurses aboard the flight helped those at the back of the plane, where the most serious injuries seemed to be. Two had serious cuts, while a number of others were experiencing neck and back pain, the nurses said.

"There was one gentleman who had a really bad laceration to his head and his leg," Kathi Nelson, one of the nurses, said.

The man had fallen on top of his wife, hurting her as well, said Nelson.

An Environment Canada meteorologist said thundershowers may have caused the turbulence
---------- ADS -----------

atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

It's always unfortunate when someone gets hurt but maybe people will finally get the message. I can't believe how many times I have seen the fasten seatbelt sign come on and that's when everyone has to use the toilet. I hope all recover soon.

cloudcounter
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudcounter »

re
Passengers say the pilot warned about the turbulence on the intercom, but many didn't have time to secure their seatbelts when, seconds later, the plane dropped straight down.

Maybe, they weren't warned soon enough?
The system seemed like it should be prior knowledge :(
cc

Koran 5:33
The Punishment for those who oppose Allah and his messenger is : Execution or Crucifixion or the cutting off of ..snip
If Truth be not your goal,
you have achieved your gaol.

http://www.biblicalzionist.com/index.htm
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Does the airline not say, keep your seat belt on when not in your seat in case of sudden turbulence?

Goose757
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Goose757 »

200hr Wonder wrote:Does the airline not say, keep your seat belt on when not in your seat in case of sudden turbulence?
If they don't, they will now.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Call me over cautious but while on a commercial flight whenever the aircraft hits even a subtle bunt of turbulence, I sinch up the slack from my belt. People have been killed by sudden downdrafts...why risk it.

Curious if they will now press lawsuits against Westjet. I suppose their insurance will cover for that as they must be liable for the safety of their pax.

Mile High Guy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mile High Guy »

If my memory serves me right (it's been a while since I flew Westjet) the seat belt sign and a suggestion is made to keep your seatbelt on at all times. Add this to the fact that an airline cannot be held resposible for weather and I would assume that a lawsuit is unlikely.

Unlike the sue happy US, in Canada one must prove willful intent in order win damages. This means that the punter would a) have to prove Westjet knew the turbulence was coming b) did nothing about it knowing that njuries could happen.

See me for aviation goodies.
skyhigh
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by skyhigh »

Don't worry you can bet the blood sucking lawyers are already pouring into the books to see what they can "extort" out of this one.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Either in my small plane, or in an airliner, I always feel jitters, prior to real turbulence. :D
Experience travellers should know the symtoms.

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
atpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by atpilot »

I doubt a lawsuit is likely as there is always an announcement stating that sealtbelts should be worn while seated in the event of encountering any turbulence. I can see the possibility of the word "should" being replaced with "must".

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

Just as 'no smoking' is mandatory, i'd like to see a fasten belts sign mandatory all the time. You get up only when you NEED to.

Starfighter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Starfighter »

Westjet does recommend keeping the seatbelts fastened even if the sign is off, but most of the travelling public has a tendency to remove them. Just think about how often after landing you can hear a good portion the plane unclick their belts. :wink:

Dr. Peelot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dr. Peelot »

I work for the airlines, and this does not surprise me that "guests" were injured during turbulence.
Yes- an announcement is made immediately after takeoff reminding guests that the seat belt sign has been left on and guests are encouraged to keep their seat belts fastened while seated (even if the seat belt sign is off) and you should see how many people don't comply even when the sign is on!!! I have had to write numerous reports on passengers (parents with uncontrollable children are the WORST!!!) that won't wear their seat belts. I have even seen children running down the aisle on landing! People are so complacent because they only fly a few times a year...unfortunately there were injuries but fortunately maybe it will be a wake up call for future travelers to prevent something worse.

Another interesting point is that none of the crew were injured. To me this means that the pilots had turned on the seat belt sign, the announcement was made, the FAs did their walk through and returned to their galleys to secure. The fact that people were standing after the seat belt sign came on, and the announcement was made boggles my mind (but is so common) :roll: Pure speculation of course...

You know you're half way through a date with a pilot when he says 'enough about me, lets talk about airplanes'
2milefinal
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 2milefinal »

My all time favorite is hearing the belts coming off just as the nose wheel is hitting the ground on landing.

I like this add. I have felt like saying this kind of thing to a few people and I don't even work for an airline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXl0nTjcrzs

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

the news said they hit this turbluance somewhere near Sudbury, enroute from Calgary to Halifax.If these people were hurt seriously, im sure they would have diverted somewhere??
Sounds to me like someone got a few cuts and bruises and the media is making a huge deal out of it.
Air travel has become so commonplace and everyday, that people have forgotten there is some amount of risk with it, same as driving down the road. You could hit a deer that jumps out of the ditch, but lets blame someone on it, cause its not our fault ya got a boo-boo.

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

The last report I heard is it happened over Sudbury. If that's true why did they continue to Halifax? With those people hurt.

Rectum, damn near killed 'em
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

Federal agencies looking into turbulent WestJet flight that left nine injured

1 minute ago

HALIFAX (CP) — Two federal agencies are making routine inquiries about a Halifax-bound WestJet flight that hit rough turbulence, injuring several passengers and sending three to hospital, but a full investigation into what one woman described as the "scariest experience" of her life appears unlikely.

Flight 80 out of Calgary was north of Sudbury, Ont., on Thursday night when passengers say the airliner felt like it dropped several hundred metres.

There was little warning, and many passengers, including some lined up at the washroom, didn't have enough time to put on their seatbelts.

Witnesses have said passengers standing up were tossed around the plane, in some cases falling on top of each other, and others were lifted off their seats and hit their heads on the compartments above them. Nine people were hurt.

Passengers have praised WestJet's handling of the incident.

Mike Cunningham of the Transportation Safety Board said the independent body would be seeking more information from WestJet about what happened and then assess whether a full investigation is needed.

But if the board determines the airline and flight crew followed proper procedure and there aren't any major safety issues, an investigation would be unlikely.

"We would only investigate if we thought that there was a good potential to advance aviation safety," Cunningham said Friday.

"So if it turns out to be just an unfortunate encounter that was handled in the proper fashion by the crew, there's no need for us to investigate further than that."

Transport Canada spokeswoman Lucie Vignola said the department would review the incident to determine whether proper procedures were followed.

"We do a follow-up with the company, just to make sure that they were complying with the regulations that we have, and then if there are any deficiencies, then we address it immediately," she said.

WestJet categorized the turbulence as "moderate" and said there had been no warnings about turbulence in the area.

Mary Ellen Chesnutt, a 24-year-old who was travelling to Nova Scotia from Victoria to visit her family, said it was a terrifying experience that was the "worst flight" she has ever been on.

Chesnutt said there had been light turbulence several times during the flight. She said the seatbelt sign was turned on just a few seconds before the plane dropped.

"It was probably the scariest experience I've ever had," Chesnutt said Friday from her parents' home in Westville, N.S.

"I don't like to fly that much in the first place, and I was just thinking, please let me land, please let me land. I was praying a lot."

She said the flight crew was "amazing," and she praised them for staying focused and keeping the passengers calm.

Two nurses who happened to be on the flight tended to the injured, and the plane was met by three ambulances on the tarmac when it landed in Halifax.

Three passengers were sent to hospital, while six others were checked by paramedics at the airport. The condition of the hospitalized passengers wasn't known.

The plane was flying at an altitude of about 12,000 metres roughly 330 kilometres north of Sudbury when it hit turbulence, said WestJet spokesman Richard Bartrem. There had been no warnings about turbulence from other pilots in other planes.

"It's what we would call moderate turbulence," Bartrem said.

"It's just that it's a little bumpier," he said. In moderate turbulence, "the plane's going to get bounced around a little bit."

While turbulence is common, it's "quite rare" for it to cause injuries, Bartrem said.

Peter Spurway, a spokesman for the Robert L. Stanfield International Airport Authority in Halifax, agreed that injuries from turbulence are highly unusual. He said there hadn't been a case in the 18 months that he has worked for the airport authority.

"And I talked to some of the veteran guys around here, and they said it's very unusual, it doesn't happen at all," he said.

Cunningham of the Transportation Safety Board stressed that passengers are required to buckle up when the plane's seatbelt signs are turned on, and they're also advised to keep seatbelts fastened through the entire flight.

"Certainly, just about everybody is advised that when they're in their seats, it's always best to have your seatbelt on, regardless of the conditions that you're flying in," said Cunningham, noting that it's not uncommon to hit turbulence with little or no warning.

"We all know how unpredictable weather is. Certainly this stuff is forecast as well as can be forecast, but to encounter an unexpected area of turbulence with very short notice, is not unusual."

Another article in the Globe and Mail says there were two nurses flying on board who were tending to the injured.

"WestJet staff consulted the two nurses for their professional opinions on the conditions of the injured passengers. When it was decided they could fly to their destination, the pilots stayed in the air until they reached Nova Scotia.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Westjet flight's sharp drop injures 9

Post by Edo »

[quote="]....when a sudden 300-metre drop threw them around like rag dolls, passengers say.......
[/quote]

I think if a 737 dropped almost 1000' there would have been an immediate diversion. damn media.

whipline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by whipline »

All WJ has to do is look at the ACMS data. The aircraft self monitors turbulence and records it digitally. I'm guessing the airplane didnt drop 1000 feet.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Must have been one of those darn "air pockets".

Return to “General Comments”