SAS q400 gear collapse vid

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: SAS q400 gear collapse vid

Post by complexintentions »

Cool how y'all are able to worry about a thread from 12 years ago.

I'm just gonna keep on getting on the Q400 and not giving a f&ck.

Seems to have worked out so far.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

linecrew wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am
cloudskimmer wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 am
valleyboy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 am

Indeed it has been discussed and debated for years and we have all seen the guy landing gear up vids with engines caged but the issue is whether it's approved in the certification of the the aircraft. I ask again what is the QRH and emergency check list saying.
The QRH in the Q400 does direct the flight crew that they may shut down the engine with due consideration for flight conditions etc. (at Jazz anyways)
And whomever is sitting in the row(s) next to the prop probably would appreciates that.

Unless you’re going to cage an engine every time a tire blows and you still have safe gear indication, it wouldn’t have helped in that case.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

And whomever is sitting in the row(s) next to the prop probably would appreciates that.
Certainly but being paid the big bucks the decision has to be made to think about the majority's safety. If it's 200 and 1/2 would you cage a perfectly serviceable engine or would you attempt to move passengers and if seats are full would you move passengers and wedge them in some where to clear the prop strike area. We are getting into an area where SOP's don't necessarily make it entirely clear and there might be some creative thought required. In this day and age that can bite you even if you salvaged the problem and no one got a scratch --

Is this offered as a sim scenario in anyone's training syllabus or do they write it off as "multiple unrelated" - no matter what you do it will be on social media from cabin prep to the end result. :evil:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Given the direction of rotation of the prop, ingress of prop fragments in to the cabin, during a gear collapse is significantly greater on the starboard side.
I am not aware of any ingress on the #1 side.

Return to “General Comments”