epaulettes

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

epaulettes

Post by brokenwing »

whats the point?....
---------- ADS -----------

"I had a pilot's breakfast ... A coffee and a piss followed by a donut and a dump." -D. Elegant
Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: epaulettes

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Same reason why there are 'ranks' in the military

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

They're total bull crap...Okay for the airlines. The ones that actually fly jets. For everybody else, especially students eg MFC...they're absolute crap!

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

yeah i understand the whole rank thing, but people know their place, its not like were in a war zone with confusion as to what a person is qualified to do. it just seems like an old tradition, not neccessary in civilian aviation. It seems to me that its more of a "prestige" item, that is supposed to impress the general population. ( not to mention the dudes that go to the bar dressed in uniform to impress the ladies to make up for their total lack in social skills)

"I had a pilot's breakfast ... A coffee and a piss followed by a donut and a dump." -D. Elegant
Snowgoose
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Snowgoose »

When I worked in a grocery store they payed me to wear a bowtie and apron. When I go to work now they pay me to wear a tie and epaulets (among doing other things) If no ones paying, especially if I'm dropping coin i.e. MFC, I'm wearing jeans.

It's better to break ground and head into the wind than to break wind and head into the ground.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
flightdude1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flightdude1 »

brokenwing wrote:whats the point?....
Who Cares? If your paid to wear em, wear em...if its your choice, do as you please, if not, then stay in the bush and don't complain......

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

Deleted.

stl

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

Those who have and those who will. I fly left seat on a 737, but even I just wear a sweater when I can. The epaulettes are meaningless. I find if I have the sweater I do not have to have a clean, or ironed shirt. At the end of the day it will be your paycheque that tell you what kind of a job you are doing. Don't have anything against wearing them, but they don't change who or what you do.

Rectum, damn near killed 'em
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Who Cares? If your paid to wear em, wear em...if its your choice, do as you please, if not, then stay in the bush and don't complain......
Stay in the bush?

WTF does that have to do with epaulettes?

Is a bush pilot below all those wankers who prance around with epaulettes on because they wear them for status?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I think pilots should wear a sash and have a cooler hat. Maybe something big enough to carry charts and stuff. You can sew patches on the sash like boyscouts but they would represent airplanes you fly! Oh, and a cape. How can you be a super-hero without a cape?

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

that was the point i was getting at cat.... its all a status thing.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

that was the point i was getting at cat.... its all a status thing.
Yes I realize that.

A true aviator is different from a pilot, an aviator flies the airplane safely and without any need for wearing status symbols to advertise who they are.

Airline pilots have to wear a uniform because it is part of the job, most airline pilots hopefully do not feel the " Need " to wear them.

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brokenwing »

understood cat. so cap, how 'bout some more of those ducati girls?. Im not trying to hijack my own thread, but... well hey, some things take priority

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

Cat if your plane carries anymore than 9 people, in a emergency the epaulettes help the sheep distinguish who's in command. In an evac they teach to wear "the hat" outside because it attracts the sheep like flies to shit.

PS I think the lead Lemming wears a hat too. :)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The Hammer:

When I was in the water bombing business I flew as a lone wolf airplane and we were sent wherever there was a fire flap as well as to S. America.

My crew were my equals in every way ( except pay. ) and when we did real well I used to pay for their entertainment and as part of the show of my appreciation for their hard work I gave them condoms with four gold bars on them......that is real equality. :mrgreen:

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 767 »

How come your all complaining?? I cant wait until I get to wear them, they look cool! And you get to show off.. hehe

Never buy 1$ tickets
auto4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by auto4 »

condom with 4 gold bar on them...Oh yes the small size one.... :smt040

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Exactly..gold bars tend to sometimes make up for other inadequacy's. :mrgreen:

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

I personally don't gave a rats Ass one way or another if the airlines wear them. Now when flight instructors and student pilots wear them I laugh my ass off, what a bunch of goofs, and the idoits who decide the should wear them need to get their head screwed on right.

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me

Return to “General Comments”