IFR renewal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

IFR renewal

Post by Beacon Final »

Ok I held an IFR sometime ago. Waited to long to renew it, and have to write the exam again. Studying is fun!! :roll:

So I have 2 questions. Any tips on the exam? Where should I go for the training? Looking for a school / club that will not try and rip me off / milk me for hours. I have been flying alot (flying floats in shit weather) and have been doing some practice on my own. I need 5 or 7 hours in a SIM then about 3 flight to earn a recommendation for a flight test. Also somewhere with cheap accomodations. Thinking of trying this in October after the float season.

I have been looking at Cornwall mostly. Trying to do it from Winnipeg and East if possible. But if there is something better out there I am up for it. I could go to my old flight college but I have little faith in that place and would like to try somewhere new.

Thanks for your time all!

Blue Skies :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

Duffman: Hey Duff lovers! Does anyone in this bar loooove Duff?
Carl: Hey, it's Duffman!
Lenny: Newsweek said you died of liver failure.
Duffman: Duffman can never die, only the actors who play him. Ooh yeah!
SmokinJoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: IFR renewal

Post by SmokinJoe »

I did mine in Cornwall. It was pretty easy, although the instructor I went up with had just got hired with that school and actually I was his first "student" at that school. He wasent very helpfull just sat there and didn't say anything. So I just did my own thing. The flight test was fine though, Glen French is the DFTE guy there. Really easy going.

-Rockin In The Free World
Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

Someone mentioned to me a while ago that IR renewals may be done in Edmonton in a simulator. It is much cheaper than using an actual plane. You might want to make a few enquiries in that direction.

If anyone from the Edmonton area (or anywhere else where there is a TC recognised simulator) has anything further on this please post it here. I expect there are others who would like to take advantage of such a situation.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

I did my renewal not too long ago in Cornwall. It was my first experience with Cornwall Aviation, but I was getting tired of the high instructor turnover at Perimeter and lack of service. I was very impressed with the school and they operate two IFR a/c with two Garmin 430s installed. They do not charge for the GPS course (which incidently, is free from Garmin) and you can download the free simulator online to get familiar with it before you go - saves you time and $$. I did this particular renewal in half the time, did no simulator and it cost me less. My only complaint with them is that they seem to have problems hanging on to CAPs and CAP gens so consequently they don't lend them to the students, and they don't sell them either. My advice is to spend the $10 something on the Ontario CAP (which includes the CAP gen) in advance, so you have your own study tools.

http://www.pro-flight.on.ca/main.html

http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

For the exam, I highly recommend Aerocourse. It is expensive but well worth the money. You can take it again for half price in future years, although I am disappointed that they put a cap on it now (5 years). In three days, they will cram into your brain everything you need to know to pass the exam and do a great pre-ride. If you do some pre/post study, you will do even better. I usually re-take the course as a refresher before the IFR renewal.

http://www.aerocourse.com/welcome.html

Good luck,

Snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
ei ei owe
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ei ei owe »

snoopy wrote:I was getting tired of the high instructor turnover at Perimeter and lack of service.
Just because the instructor you have a crush on is gone and the place is busy doesn't mean you have to bash it.

Everything comes in threes....
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Oddly,I've never met Glen French, but he ran a school just before me in New Bruswick where he was an ATC guy on the base. While he is the DFTE and not your instructor, he sets the tone, which is quiet and professional. He has been doing this for some 30 years now.

Quieter environment, nearby approaches.

Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Beacon Final »

ei ei ow

I gotta have Snoopy back on this one. Especially after the wicked links he posted.

Few months back I was in YWG and check out Perimeter. After speaking with snotty girls at the front desk and finally getting to meet the GODS of IFR I was not impressed. They went on like they were the only option and I never flew IFR and would need to start from scratch. Hence the reason for me starting this thread. I am trying to avoid getting milked.

:)

harveymushman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by harveymushman »

Cornwall is the only place to go if you want to renew, easy, and fast

Even if I lived in Winnipeg, I would go to Cornwall instead of perimeter.

better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for a lifetime
Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Beacon Final »

Duffman likes good tips almost as much as the smooth taste of Duff...... oooooooooooooh yeah. :rolleyes:

Looks like this guy is doing his renewal with Cornwall come October.

Thanks all for the tips. :smt040

:bear: BF

Beacon Final
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Beacon Final »

Just keepin this thread alive for more exam tips!

Hawker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hawker »

I live in winnipeg and I went to cornwall to renew, I would make the same decision again. it'll save you time, money and frustrations. if you're out of town cornwall will do they're best you to get you done quickly. I was there for 3 days of flying, if you know your stuff could easily be done in 2 days.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I have heard you can do complete IFR renewals in a SIM at Pacific Flying Club at the Boundary Bay Airport (ZBB). You should definatly give them a look, while it will be out of your way the cost savings of doing it on the sim may be worth the extra travel/living expenses. Also Pro IFR also at ZBB is VERY well known however I believe you will still have to fly with them, so that might be a more expensive option, though John and the crew are really good.

Either way good luck!

Return to “General Comments”