Low level flying

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Low level flying

Post by twotterflogger »

Jimmy Mack wrote:
carholme wrote: Prairie and Northern
August 17, 2007
CAR 602.01

A private pilot flying a Cessna 152 flew the aircraft with a passenger on board at approximately 100 feet above the ground to take pictures. The aircraft subsequently hit a power line while flying into the sun that caused significant damage to the rudder and the tail section. The pilot was sanctioned with a $1,000.00 monetary penalty for flying the aircraft in a negligent manner.
twotterflogger wrote:Your point Carl?

Let's face it, its all about risk management, and expirience. Not some PPL holder renting a 152' making bad decisions combined with an obvious lack of training.
It's funny that we see the word "private pilot" and assume the person has a fresh license with only 60 hours and no extensive training. The actual fact is the pilot in question was finishing up his CPL and was only about 5 hours away, already having completed the flight test. So if this had happened a week later, he would be a Commercial Pilot, who should have had more training? A new piece of paper would have caused him to think his decisions through more thoroughly? I find that hard to accept.

JM
Well, I dont know what to say... Please re-read my post (take your time now). I clearly stated that "risk management and expirience" are paramount, I dont remember saying that if he was a COM pilot he would have faired any better....
Now you might want to let your CAME know that you need to get another eye exam :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy Mack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jimmy Mack »

twotterflogger:

Don't worry, I know what you were saying. But in the above example you stated the PPL who did some mid-air re-design had an obvious lack of training. The point I am making is you can have all the training in the world and still make a mistake. There's no need to talk down to me because you made an incorrect assumption.

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

There's no talking down sir, sorry if you took it that way :)

Now as much as I agree with your last statement "you can have all the training in the world and still make a mistake" I do believe that it is human nature to make mistakes. Heck, driving has its own risks, as does skiing, sailing, diving, and evidently flying as well. IN ALL CASES there will be incidents or accidents as all the activities listed above have their own inherrent risks, no matter how one goes about mitigating the potential hazards (ie: low level flight vs higher level flight) involved while participating...

Jimmy Mack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jimmy Mack »

Agreed, glad we cleared that up.

Return to “General Comments”