Low level flying

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hairdo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Low level flying

Post by hairdo »

---------- ADS -----------

Gravity lands us, we just make it look good.
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

hairdo wrote:Here's why you don't fly low...
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2008 ... ash-p1.php
Looks like it happened on landing on a runway (note the windsock). Not exactly what is being discussed.

small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

Two questions..
ettw wrote:[...]Well dontchajustknow, the words are out of my mouth as we're coming out of a narrow bay and onto the flats heading for Donaldson and ZZZIIIINNNNGGGGG......past the wing tip goes a tower....in the middle of F***ing nowhere. We missed it by maybe 100 feet laterally and were about 10 feet below its top[...]
Why didnt you see the tower ahead of time? Obstruction of view or just lack of paying attention?

Buzz Lightyear, as an instructor signing your student off for solo cross country (and for any solo flight) are you not required to remain on the ground and at the airport and not go up on another flight? The school where I did my PPL told me the "rules" stated that instructors had to remain either on the flight line or near dispatch and have access to a radio anytime a student of theirs was going solo. Solo students had to be signed off by the instructor or CFI, and an instructor could not engage in any other activity while said student was still flying.

Was this just a club policy or are there actual TC (or whatever) rules.

Hedley, good advice about the tower "hemisphere" thing. I follow it, I've no reason to venture near a tower. Granted though, most of the towers I've ever encountered were 1000agl and below. I cant quite recall one being higher.

buster79
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buster79 »

"little peguine" you are a meat head! oops call the spelling police! why don't you fly around for a couple years, not just "a fair weather G.A. pilot"(if you want to call yourself one) STOP filling people here with your b.s. you obviously have no clue about the aviation world. or mabey you do and you are a troll? but youy are pisssing me off with your ingnorance. mabey we will have the plesure of meeting one day on one of your big trips!

p.s. get a drivers licence you dork!

buster79
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by buster79 »

oh ya and i met the guy from harv's who was chasing"eagles" or was it deer? he was a dork too! i'm pretty sure he had an episode there not long before, all i can say is giver fly as low as you want but shit will happen sooner or later no doubt about it! and make sure you kids close your flight plans before you are down and clear, i heard that's the best way!!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Why didnt you see the tower ahead of time? Obstruction of view or just lack of paying attention?
Pengy,

I've been following this thread with interest. For most pilots, low flying is fun and addictive like crystal meth. Your comment about ETTW's brush with death is revealing though. For people who haven't been trained in low flying, things like: wires, snags (the gray, dead tops of trees), and antennas as well as valleys with a sudden end or twist, usually result in death.

Flying single pilot, a driver has some time to vary their scan beteen the outside world and the panel. At low level, and I suspect you mean low, you don't have the opportunity to notice subtle deteriorations in oil pressure, speed, etc, because your head is up getting that rush from seeing the world go past.

I don't know you. Don't have an earthly clue where you fly out of. But, a suggestion- find a helo or an ag pilot around your base and buy 'em a cup of coffee. You may fly recreationally till the end of your days. But old pilots try and learn something new every day. If you intend to keep on flying low, prob'ly best to learn a lot more about it.

I don't really want to read about your demise in the general section.

JC

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

If your going to post a picture which is not yours, please ensure that you know what the hell its all about! I cant stand people like you whom stir the pot aimlessly. Needless to say, the world does have it fair share of ignorant individuals.

Jon K, prawnged that plane just outside of Maun Botswana on departure. It had nothing to do with low flying, and the National Parks Land Rover did a piss poor job at clearing the runway prior to Jon`s departure. He was cleared of any wrong doing by the way.

hairdo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by hairdo »

twotterflogger wrote:
If your going to post a picture which is not yours, please ensure that you know what the hell its all about! I cant stand people like you whom stir the pot aimlessly. Needless to say, the world does have it fair share of ignorant individuals.

Jon K, prawnged that plane just outside of Maun Botswana on departure. It had nothing to do with low flying, and the National Parks Land Rover did a piss poor job at clearing the runway prior to Jon`s departure. He was cleared of any wrong doing by the way.
Sorry if the meaning was misunderstood. I know that this didn't happen from low level flying, nor am I suggesting that this pilot was an idiot. What I am trying to point out is that when you are low to the ground, there may be obstacles that you don't see or have time to react to, and end up like this poor fellow did.

Gravity lands us, we just make it look good.
Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

SP, if you knew anything of low flying you would not be asking ETTW why he didn't see the tower. Many types of obstructions are damn difficult to see while you still have time to react. Be as attentive as humanly possible, and there will still be some you just don't see. Recreation vs commercial flying makes no difference regarding the stupidity of low flying, except for that some pilots are required to do it for a job, and are specifically trained and working under procedures that mitigate risk to the extent possible. Being a GA pilot flying for the thrill of it does not justify low flying. Many of the people commenting on this thread do both types of flying, myself included. I've owned my own airplane and, yes, low flying has a certain thrill and attraction about it. However, I think I have an IQ somewhat higher than a turnip and use it to make certain choices; one of them being to recognize the unreasonably high level of risk in low flying and therefore, to not do it.

Many of the people here trying to caution you against engaging in this wrecklessness have considerable experience and know what they are talking about. Some are likely wearing socks that have more time in airplanes than you have breathing. If you have a vestige of a brain, you will take their advice and stop arguing in favour of low flying. Each comment you offer is only making you appear ever more immature and stupid.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

S. P......

......please do yourself and everyone else a favor and quit trying to argue with people who are trying to educate you.

With your lack of understanding of low flying you are the perfect candidate for killing your self.......and maybe others.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
motionsickness69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by motionsickness69 »

Former low level suicide i mean survey pilot. IT IS FU#$%NG DANGEROUS PERIOD. great way to become a statistic I mean build time......catch my drift?......runway behind you, altitude above you and the fuel you left on the ground...nothing more useless to a pilot and in this case pay special attention to the altitude at 200 or 300 ft you have NO options. And I'm speaking from experience no out my a$$. Not willing to argue

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

Low level flying poses a higher risk than flying at altitude, but with proper training and awareness of the area being flown the risk is quite manageable.

Engine failures at low level can sometimes leave you with little room for maneuvering but once again the risk can be mitigated with experience.

Low level flying for thrills is poor airmanship, and for pilots with no training in that type of flying combined with low total flying time it is just plain stupid.

From the standpoint of satisfaction job wise low level flying is one of the best jobs a pilot can have....not to mention it generally pays well.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Good thread! And to trey kule and ., you did get through to me so it wasn't a total waste. SP ... if all you like about flying is taking risks, save your money and your life. And my life. You asked us why we fly, and no it isn't because it's a job I have to do. It's a great lifestyle, schedule, it's interesting work, travel, sights; and what I like most about it is are the flights that I've done everything about my flight as accurately as I could. If you think it's okay to fly dangerously for fun because it's such a calculated risk, you either have 20/1 vision or haven't 'calculated' totalling an aircraft very high on the severity scale.

CF-UCK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CF-UCK »

CF-UCK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CF-UCK »

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

This is a pointless argument because those who get off on this stuff won't pay any attention anyway...

Please stop referring us to videos that show moronic pilot behaviour - I cannot see any positive benefit and it might encourage those in the pilot community that are mentally challenged from emulating this type of idiotic behaviour.

Maybe next time you read of a Beech 1900 or similar that crashes inexplicably with loss of life, consider that the structure may have failed due to some previous nematode that rolled it or flew it too fast near the ground in turbulence, or whatever.

The process of "learning to fly" never ends, except for those who choose to ignore the rules, the limitations, the advice, the mistakes of others and the deaths of those gone past. Check the statistics - this job kills as many people as the logging industry and if you can't see how dangerous all this stuff is, I can only encourage you to buy a single-seater and go for it - never take a passenger and say "watch this" and never use a 'plane that doesn't belong to you.

If you survive past puberty, you will eventually learn that being safe, being known to be safe and being the oldest guy on the field are really very much better ways to be known than "...remember Bob Wotsisname, the guy that buzzed his family up at the lake and stalled, killing himself and that cute girlfriend he had, right in front of his and her parents?..."

Amongst other experience, I have 25 years of low-level survey, firefighting, float and bush work - all of it got VERY dangerous when you got near the ground and EVERY scary incident that happened did so near the ground. The best operators had extensive training for low-level work and every day each flight was de-briefed. We did it as carefully as we could and still there were incidents and in the early days, deaths.

If you don't think you have the maturity or judgement to perform this job and endure the boring repetition that is part of working as a pilot, you should take someone else's advice and quit before you kill someone.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

Prairie and Northern
August 17, 2007
CAR 602.01

A private pilot flying a Cessna 152 flew the aircraft with a passenger on board at approximately 100 feet above the ground to take pictures. The aircraft subsequently hit a power line while flying into the sun that caused significant damage to the rudder and the tail section. The pilot was sanctioned with a $1,000.00 monetary penalty for flying the aircraft in a negligent manner.

twotterflogger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by twotterflogger »

Your point Carl?

Let's face it, its all about risk management, and expirience. Not some PPL holder renting a 152' making bad decisions combined with an obvious lack of training.

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

twotterflogger;

Not trying to make a point at all. The title of the thread is "Low Level Flying". I just took a wild guess that my post may have had something to do with low level flying.

carholme

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Ah yes TF, but that is exactly who got this thread started; a young ppl low flying for the thrill with no experience, training, or procedures to mitigate the risk.

Return to “General Comments”