Lightspeed Zulu comments or complaints?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Lightspeed Zulu comments or complaints?

Post by Tim »

I'm looking for any feedback on people that have owned the Zulu and put some hours on it. I know the specs and how it measures up against the Bose and Telux, what I'm looking for is any technical issues that may have come up, customer service quality if a fix has been required, durability, happiness with the purchase, etc. I know of 2 people that have had the same problem with the noise cancelling system making a loud noise, then no longer working. Is this an issue that has come up with other people? I'm not looking to be convinced to buy a Bose or Telux (or a Zulu for that matter), I just want to get some good info from people that have gotten a fair bit of use out of it.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

wannabatp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Lightspeed Zulu comments or complaints?

Post by wannabatp »

I got a couple of hundread hours on mine and so far, so good. No complaints. All day comfortable and DNR works as advertised. Awesome audio with MP3, FRC really makes a difference. Even when the batteries die, still a very quiet headset.

Used it on C-210 and C-310.

Highly recommended!

Cheers!

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

Thanks wannab, just curious if you keep it in the bag provided or if you use another one? One of the people that had the ANR go seemed to think it was from being 'stuffed into the little bag.'

sport
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sport »

I am currently using my second Lightspeed Zulu headset. The first worked for around a week and then had a weird issue. Whenever I plugged in the mic cord the headset would cause the com selected to transmit. I tested this issue in several of our aircraft with the same problem. Very similar to having a stuck mic only not connected with the push to talk.

I sent the headset back only to wait a very long time to get a new headset sent back. No communication and lack of customer service on the return was frustrating.

My second Zulu headset seems to be working fine. The case the headset comes in is a little difficult to store your headset.

The ANR works well. Without the ANR the headset in my opinion is not very good.

Not sure I would buy another Zulu.

wannabatp
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wannabatp »

Tim wrote:Thanks wannab, just curious if you keep it in the bag provided or if you use another one? One of the people that had the ANR go seemed to think it was from being 'stuffed into the little bag.'
I think it's an improvement over the bag they provided with the 30-3g, but not by much. It's a little more form fitting and a little stiffer than previous, but it works fine provided you're careful. There is a right way and a wrong way to put the headset in. Generally, I put the headset in first then place the cables and control box in after. The headset cups swivel so that the headset stores kinda flat.

I'm still using the provided bag, but I may switch to something else if I find something better. Something like a cross between a headset bag and a flight bag.

Cheers!

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

My zulu headset has a problem where a loud piercing high pitch noise comes up (think of it as a microphone next to a speaker). To make matters worse, it gets louder as the aircraft gets closer to the runway for landing. I almost made a go-around once because of it, and it certainly wasn't helpful on the flight test. I'm currently in the process of having it sent back for servicing, and I'll let you all know how it goes. From what I understand, I am not the only one that has a problem with this issue.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Its the old "wait a year to buy a new model of a car" syndrome. Not only will the failure rate be higher, the company will not be well enough organized to deal with it, yet.

I think the most critical issue with ANC is how good is the headset when the ANC is off? I had a Bose and eventually you would either run out of batteries and be too busy at that moment to change them or there would be some other power issue. They sucked without ANC.

I am wary of Lightspeed because when I was interested, I only got a lot of hype, not hard specifications. You need more than a feel-good test in a store or a bunch of marketing garbage if you are going to pay all that money. Oh yeah, NOBODY was discounting them, which screams out to me that the distributor is a prick.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Vortex_driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vortex_driver »

Ok
Here's the deal.

It's a very good headset... all the little features that comes with it... confort... noise protection(flying HS748)works very good... BUT...

Me and my coworker bought each one from two different stores and we both had the same problem... after 4 days for him and about 3 weeks of actually using it for me... There seem to have a problem with the cord... my Noise Cancelling would cut when moving the wire around the control box or, for me even worse, where it connects to the headset... so every time I would move my head, the N C would click off and on and I could not hear nothing... I had to turn it off and crank the radios for the rest of the flight... You can still use your headset when it's off, but the sound quality is just not there and you clearly see it's not meant for that!!! but anyways we both sent it back and he got another one right away and me the store told me thay had an issue with it and that it was a bad batch and they sent all the rest they had back to light speed and I'm waiting for about a month to get a new one... It's understandable that it takes some time if it's a bad batch, but still it shouldn't break, I mean for 850$ F*ck!!

To me the noise protection is about the same as a bose, but I like all the other stuff that comes with it...

I was gonna change for a bose but than the guys at the store convince me to give it a second try so we'll see... I really like the headset... as long as it works!!!

Apparently they change the cord on the ones in Canada, becouse they realise that it was bad in the cold and it would become very stiff... I know a guy that bought his in november from the state and he had no problems with it after probably at least 500 hrs.. but he's got the old cord, so... it's alittle stiff in the winter he says... But I'd rather have that than a broken headset!!!

Don't get me wrong... The headset is great, otherwise I wouln't be waiting for another one!!! I flew about a 100hrs with it and it's great, I love it... you can hear the radios 10 times better and it makes the 14hours day much shorter! Other than this problem it worked great... The little red light tells you your batteries are weak pletty of time before and I used rechargeables and it last for quite a while.. I'm not sure exactly how much, but I was satisfied!

One thing that didn't seem to work was the feature that is suppose to cut your NC when the headset is not on your head... I'm not too sure where is the sensor... how it works, and I didn't really look into that problem...

We think the main reason for our problem might have been caused in part by the case... It's a very nice case, but it's too small and even if you are careful and do like somebody said above, the wires are still a little tight... My coworker bought a David Clark bag and it seem's to be doing the job... I'll definitly buy a different bag on the next one...

Return to “General Comments”