Air Canada to the rescue....

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blastor
Rank 8
Rank 8

Air Canada to the rescue....

Post by Blastor »

Air Canada jet joins growing relief effort

By BRENT JANG
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER
Tuesday, January 4, 2005 - Page B1

Air Canada is orchestrating the country's largest airlift of relief supplies to Asia's tsunami victims, an emergency program that underscores the huge and growing response from Canadian corporations to the disaster.

Dozens of airline employees are volunteering their services for the carrier's first relief flight scheduled to depart from Toronto by tonight.

And in the latest sign of corporate concern yesterday, fertilizer supplier Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc. announced a $1-million (U.S.) donation to relief efforts in Asia.

That accounts for nearly one-quarter of the ever-growing total from Corporate Canada.

"There is a close link between our primary business -- agriculture -- and human development," Potash chief executive officer Bill Doyle said in a statement from Saskatoon. "Our company has worked closely with many of these countries to help them develop their food production capabilities."

So far, Canadian corporations have donated nearly $5-million (Canadian) in cash and services to help victims of the tsunamis.

While those donations are one-tenth of the money raised from individuals across the country, Canadian corporations are increasingly signalling their eagerness to help out, said Ian Smillie, co-author of The Charity of Nations: Humanitarian Action in a Calculating World.

*Pilots, flight attendants, mechanics and ground personnel at Air Canada pitched in yesterday to help prepare for today's loading of an Airbus A340-300 with 41 tonnes of cargo -- the first phase of what would be the largest relief effort so far involving donated services from Canada's private sector.

Robert Milton, chairman and CEO of Air Canada's parent company ACE Aviation Holdings Inc., came up with the idea last Wednesday of donating the services of the Airbus, owned by the carrier.

A leased Gemini MD11 cargo plane also will be used. That aircraft is slated to depart tomorrow night with 86 tonnes of supplies.

*Montreal-based Air Canada has offered to make at least two relief flights, carrying cargo with emergency aid packages assembled by World Vision Canada and the airline's caterer, Cara Operations Ltd. The two flights will cost Air Canada about $500,000 to operate.

"Our employees have been working night and day to put together this mammoth relief effort," Air Canada spokeswoman Laura Cooke said yesterday.

The initial shipment from Toronto's Pearson International Airport -- scheduled to leave at 5:30 p.m. ET today -- will contain various pharmaceuticals, non-perishable food, clothing and other relief supplies earmarked to arrive within one day in Jakarta, Indonesia.

These supplies will then be distributed in Indonesia's hard-hit Aceh province by World Vision Canada, Ms. Cooke said.

*Air Canada's 282-seat Airbus would normally be used on international passenger flights. At least six World Vision officials, a Unicef executive and some media will be aboard the flight, but most of the seats will be holding cargo.

Firms that have announced cash donations to the relief effort include Nortel Networks Corp. and Inco Ltd., which both have extensive operations in Asia. Nortel has pledged $350,000 (U.S.) and is also asking its employees to match that amount, while Inco and its Indonesian subsidiary, PT International Nickel Indonesia Tbk, announced joint donations totalling $540,000.

Other corporate donors have included Canada's chartered banks.

The relief effort hasn't been limited to Canada's biggest companies, which have made cash donations to agencies such as the Red Cross and Unicef. Zenon Environmental Inc., which derives more than 10 per cent of its revenue from Asia, is making plans to donate water treatment systems to Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.
---------- ADS -----------

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Canada to the rescue....

Post by Benwa »

Blastor wrote:The two flights will cost Air Canada about $500,000 to operate.
That's good... Bill Gates donated $3,000,000 - Sandra Bullock $1,000,000

spanky01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by spanky01 »

Hopefully that is tax deductible or they will be back in bankruptcy.
All jokes aside it is good to see so many companies giving to this very worthy cause.

flyboeing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by flyboeing »

wonder what westjets doing?

sending a single package of pertzels and a small cup of coke with tons of ice to everyone.......just joking westjetters!

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Jet'sGo would probably ask them to get a loan... they might pay them back in a few years if they don't go tits up.

phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by phatboy »

if i were working there...i would be wondering where they are getting all this money from..I'd be wondering why my fellow coworkers got laid off and why I had to take a pay cut..so we good give money to charity and Celine Dion :D

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Godspeed...

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Good on AC. But isn't it a shame that our own Armed Forces can't hardly pull off what AC is doing (in terms of lift). I'm happy to see our country's contribution, but having to rent an Antonov? Come on Mr. Martin. Give yer head a shake!

Blastor
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blastor »

flyboeing said:

sending a single package of pertzels and a small cup of coke with tons of ice to everyone.......just joking westjetters!

So far..nothing. Not even a $$$$$ donation!!

CFV2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFV2 »

Blastor wrote: So far..nothing. Not even a $$$$$ donation!!
Nothing? You sure?

Just wondering if you have a source for that.... or are just assuming that based on there's no mention of WestJet donating in the paper, and WestJet hasn't issued a press release or have a link on their website to tell others what they're doing?

Just curious.

From what I've read - corporately, WestJet has offered flights to the Red Cross for their employees on the airline's network.

Individual employees and several departments are holding their own charity drives for cash and so on... I heard there were some clothes donations made by some uniform departments, plus I believe the WestJet Store is selling plush bears with the proceeds going to the Red Cross.

Maybe there's more going on, I'm just going on what I've read and have heard about.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

CFV2

Sure sounds like a lot of speculation on your part. Clive wouldn’t miss any opportunity to tell the world how great WJ is and how the other carriers just don’t know how to do it.

Funny thing when it becomes time to step up to the plate and help others in need, WJ prefers to remain silent. Oh I forgot mustn’t do anything that would hurt the bottom line.

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by -700 »

It's funny how you will attack one without mentioning the others. How much did Air Transat, Skyservice, First Air, Jet'sGO, Bearskin, whoever give. Air Canada has the aircraft that have the range and payload to help. Let's remember they are not schelling out cash. It's great they are doing it, and it will be a tax write off as well.Air Canada is also according to them, Canada's national airline, so maybe it is their position to offer this this type of aid. If they can't offer good service at least they can offer humanitarian aid to make up for it. By the way you are able to donate if you wish, donations are being collected at HQ.
Maybe if Air Canada had thought about the bottom line years ago thousands of people wouln't have lost their jibs and hundreds of businesses wouldn't have got 10 cents on the dollar for their hard earned cash.I don't think you can just simp[lify all this to Westjet hasn't made a public statement about donating. It's an out of bounds jab in my opinion, using a disaster to try and focus negativity. Good job.

If it's a Boeing, it's going!
Blastor
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blastor »

Haaaaaa

Admit it, Westjet screwed-up. period

Blastor
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blastor »

..and BTW

My neighbor volunteered his time and his van to the Red Cross. He's waiting for a response to his offer….

CFV2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CFV2 »

Rebel wrote: Sure sounds like a lot of speculation on your part.
You know, I'd post the internal emails and memos I receive to put my money where my mouth is, but unfortunately I'm bound by a nondisclosure agreement....... you'll have to take my word for it.

flyboeing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by flyboeing »

Hey -700!
Whats a jib? What ever it is I hope they find it....

[quote]wouln't have lost their jibs [/quote]

[quote] Let's remember they are not schelling out cash[/quote]
So paying for the fuel, ground handling, landing fees, admin fees, is not shelling out cash......okay.......see work for westjet has made you forget what cash is....

Frederick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Frederick »

Blastor, you truly are an idiot. Do you actually post for yourself or does your pet monkey do all the typing. Only you would even try to find any kind of negativity in this. Why don't you get a job and stop being a drain on the welfare system. Or are you holding out because you think all this Air Canada ass kissing will land you a job when the start hiring again.
Blastor wrote:
flyboeing said:

So far..nothing. Not even a $$$$$ donation!!
How much was you $$$$$ donation? :wink:

Blastor
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blastor »

Frederick said:

Blastor, you truly are an idiot. Do you actually post for yourself or does your pet monkey do all the typing. Only you would even try to find any kind of negativity in this. Why don't you get a job and stop being a drain on the welfare system. Or are you holding out because you think all this Air Canada ass kissing will land you a job when the start hiring again.
Frederick? From the drop-out center? The guy that collects 4 welfare checks under various name? The guy that owe Revenue Canada $$$$$ form past audit??

How are you doing Buddy!! Ya my monkey types verything for me.

Think are great at Air Canada. How things at Wal-Mart?

Frederick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Frederick »

Blastor, you've lost all credibility on this forum. Give it up, get a new handle, and start all over. Might I suggest "Schizophrenic Freak". Below is a list of warning signs that suggest the onset of schizophrenia. I suggest you review it. I've highlighted ones that you should pay particular attention to. By the way, at 1.26 posts per day since March 1/04, it seems that you are the one collecting welfare under four different names. (Yeah I do have a lot of time to kill on my days off)

Excessive fatigue and sleepiness or an inability to sleep
Social withdrawal, isolation and reclusiveness
Deterioration of social relationships
Inability to concentrate or cope with minor problems
Apparent indifference, even in highly important situations
Dropping out of activities (skipping classes)
Decline in academic and athletic performance
Deterioration of personal hygiene; eccentric dress
Frequent moves or trips or long walks leading nowhere
Drug or alcohol abuse
Undue preoccupation with spiritual or religious matters
Bizarre behaviour
Inappropriate laughter
Strange posturing
Low tolerance to irritation
Excessive writing without apparent meaning
Inability to express emotion
Irrational statements
Peculiar use of words or language structure
Conversation that seems deep but is not logical or coherent
Staring; vagueness
Unusual sensitivity to stimuli (noise, light)
Forgetfulness
Blastor wrote:Air Canada how I hate you

In the pre-Westjet days, to go from YEG to YUL one way with no advance (21 days) booking the cost was $960.00. Return trip was $1925.00 Imagine the profit, Imagine the laughing. I drove my car instead.

Air Canada how I hate you

In the pre-Westjet days Air Canada was gauging Canadian citizen from coast to coast AND received FEDERAL money at the same time (my taxes!!) Another addscandal!!

Buying a ticket on Air Canada means nothing cuz they oversell their flights on a regular basis. Why should I be at the airport 1.5 hours prior when there's no guarantee that I'll have a seat on the flight that I BOOKED?

Air Canada filed for bankruptcy, so they did not have to pay their bills. They undercut the competition to hurt them as much as they could while saving millions of dollars in un-paid fees, taxes etc..

Not even out of bankruptcy protection yet they annouced the purchase of Regional Jet and Embraer Aircraft. At the same time employee are lucky to received their paycheck on time.

Air Canada has been receiving federal aid for the last 10-15 years, and they are/were a MONOPOLY!!!!!!. The other guys Westjet, Jetgo, Canjet never received a dime.

Robert Mitlon will put in his Resume: Bankrupted a Monopoly.

Air Canada has been on life support for the last 10 years. Isn't time to let the patient die a natural death?

CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CanadaEH »

MY DAD IS BIGGER THAN YOUR DAD.

You guys are pathetic. Air Canada is doing what it can to help contribute to the aid effort in Asia, and we sit here arguing over how much Westjet contributed. How much Jetsgo contributed. Pathetic, truely pathetic.

Return to “General Comments”