Car Slams Into Plane on Freeway, Killing Pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Car Slams Into Plane on Freeway, Killing Pilot

Post by Stinky »

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-needles-p ... 2955.story

NEEDLES -- The pilot of a homemade, experimental aircraft was killed after making an emergency landing on a Southern California freeway. Officials say the pilot was in the middle of take-off when a car slammed into the aircraft, ejecting him. The pilot was pronounced dead at the scene.

The San Bernardino County sheriff's office says three people in the car suffered minor injuries due to broken glass from the vehicle's windshield.

"We have one fatality aboard the plane, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said about 9 a.m. "It was a forced landing -- an emergency landing on the freeway."

Witnesses say the plane was taking off and was about 3 feet off the ground when the car slammed into it.

The Titan Tornado landed on the Interstate 40 connector road to Interstate 95 north, about 10 miles west of Needles in eastern San Bernardino County.

The tiny plane is sold as a kit to build-it-yourself owners. According to the company's Web site, there are two models: The Tornado I and II.

The Tornado II is a slightly larger and more powerful version, with a 65-horsepower motor and weighing 1,000 pounds fully loaded. It costs about $15,000 and will fly at 110 mph for up to 275 miles.
---------- ADS -----------

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Car Slams Into Plane on Freeway, Killing Pilot

Post by Lurch »

Ok I'm confused

Was he taking off or landing?

If he landed on the freeway due to an emergency what was he doing taking off again without getting the freeway closed down :rolleyes:

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
orbit
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by orbit »

"making an emergency landing on a Southern California freeway. Officials say the pilot was in the middle of take-off "

Ok perhaps the emergency passed(what?) as he landed,,,,?
It's almost like the "back up " engine post for West coast air

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Could very well have made an emergency landing due to fuel (lack there of) .... didn't bother telling anyone and didn't bother shutting down the freeway. Called buddy at the airport to bring fuel ... fuel'ed 'er up and took off again?

Speculation. Just as bad as rumour making. Take what I have to say as a grain of salt.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

Makes me think of the post a few weeks ago about a 150 landing on a high/free/whatever way and taking off again after an AME made some repairs to the engine.

Thats my bet anyways.

Also... isnt landing anywhere other than an aerodrome/airport a reportable occurrence?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

So helo pilots would have to report occurences everyday? :)

Going for the deck at corner
Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Along with the majority of cross country glider pilots who land out in farmers fields?

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

I *was* expecting a tad bit of common sense..

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

That not a conflict of common sence...but more so of a comparison. I am unaware that landing anywhere other than an aerodrome/airport is a reportable occurrence ...

Maybe a CAR junkie can enlighten us?

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

This site has is a video showing the crash scene form the air: http://cbs13.com/local/Plane.Crash.Free ... 93587.html

small penguin
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by small penguin »

I might have gotten confused with the statement that any occurrence which would result in an insurance claim, must be reported to the insurance ASAP.

Still, I'd figure an emergency landing on a highway is still cause to call police, TC (FAA in this case) etc whatever.

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

making an emergency landing on a Southern California freeway. Officials say the pilot was in the middle of take-off "

This shows how smart american officials are. Verbal Irony anyone?

So what happened? lol take off or landing? there's a big difference unless passing their requirements to become officials was only involved with eating doughnuts. Then I can understand why they don't know the difference. :lol:

disengage
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by disengage »

E-Flyer
You got that right...media / reporters never know what theyre talking about when accidents occur they here someone say landing or say takeoff before anything else is said and instantly they jump to conclusions and start saying things that arent true or theyre story just doesnt fit.

TO KNOW THE ROAD AHEAD, ASK THOSE COMING BACK
invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Landing or taking off, what the f**K was the car driver looking at? Anything but in front of him/herself obviously.

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Well... I was close to hitting a car infront of me cause this hot chick and I had a three second eye contact. She Smiled ! Not My Fault :lol:

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

disengage wrote:E-Flyer
You got that right...media / reporters never know what theyre talking about when accidents occur they here someone say landing or say takeoff before anything else is said and instantly they jump to conclusions and start saying things that arent true or theyre story just doesnt fit.

Only if anybody dared to actually go to middle east and see how awesome it really is. I did b4, It was great fun :) Again, people won't cause the media has scared everybody off.

Anyhooo

Return to “General Comments”