What not to use as a ladder... Or how to ground 9 planes...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: What not to use as a ladder... Or how to ground 9 planes...

Post by square »

Of course it's redundant. It's a redundancy, just like right mags and cojoes.
---------- ADS -----------

C23flyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by C23flyer »

Yeah, I suppose you're right.

Are we there yet?
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I'm kind of confused by the whole thing. How exactly do you secure an RJ door? (or Dash 8 or 737 etc etc..) As far as I know there are no locks put on it at night. If you can get to the plane you just open the door... The only way in that I can think of that would require climbing up the side of the plane would be the cockpit hatch and that locks from the inside... I haven't seen very many planes that are ever locked. (with the exception of some corporate iron) Am I missing something?

Anti-Ice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anti-Ice »

1. I suspect the flight deck windows were the "unsecure" access point, and to reach them the TSI had to climb up. If not then possibly the airstair, but most airstair external controls are designed to be operated from the GROUND I think.

2. WHAT A FOOL!!! ROTFLMAO :lol: I mean really, how many ladders are kicking around airports :roll: That's just gross

3. I like how the TSA article omits the fact that 9 airplanes were grounded because of this morons actions...yet states education re-enforcement was carried out.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Fines are coming for the airline due to lack of security :?

http://news.carrentals.co.uk/tsa-inspec ... 23411.html

Posted on: August 25th, 2008 by Martin Fellowes

“The inspector was able to gain access to the interior of seven of the nine aircraft inspected, which is an apparent violation of the airline’s security program,” Ellen Howe, a TSA spokesperson, reported.

She added that the airline faces potential fines due to the incidents: “TSA is reviewing the inspection results, and depending on the conclusion could take action with the airline up to and including levying of civil penalties.”

Shortly after the incidents were reported, American Airlines grounded nine of its jets at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. It learned that a TSA inspector boarded one or more planes by grabbing hold of a rod on the outside of the plane, called a Total Air Temperature (TAT) probe. The probe is used to measure temperature, an official from the airline explained.

Forty flights were delayed due to the security breach.

The aim of the inspector’s actions was “to look for and test, among other things, access vulnerabilities or areas were someone with ill intent could gain access to the aircraft,” the TSA noted, and also said: “Aircraft operators are required to secure each aircraft when left unattended.”

A spokesperson for American Eagle, Andrea Huguely, confirmed that the carrier had grounded the planes after hearing that the inspector grabbed the TAT probe, as the action could have caused damage to the instrument and the plane.

“It delayed a lot of folks getting to where they had to go yesterday,” she added. “This was something we had never experienced before.”

http://www.tsa.gov

Tubthumper
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tubthumper »

It seems like some of those in the TSA/CATSA world have family trees that are straight lines. :?

:rolleyes:

Return to “General Comments”