What not to use as a ladder... Or how to ground 9 planes...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

What not to use as a ladder... Or how to ground 9 planes...

Post by Apollo »

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story ... 502&page=1

Exerpt
Nine American Eagle airplanes were grounded Tuesday after a TSA inspector, conducting an overnight security check, used sensitive instrument probes to climb onto the parked aircraft at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, aviation sources tell ABCNews.com.
I don't know what to say... What a fucking idiot! Not one plane, but 9! Hahahaha - another reason CATSA/TSA is a huge waste of our money!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Apollo on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What not to use as a ladder...

Post by aileron »

Why not just use a crash axe to demonstrate they could get into an aircraft, just as effective in damage and access. Morons. :rolleyes:

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

That absolutely takes the cake.... can't drink my coffee as I shot it all over the keyboard.

I wonder how the guy dressed himself before work, and why some other equally compromised dork let him onto the airport.

All this work to keep things safe and look who is really looking after us. I'm going home to lie down.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cobra64 »

TSA hey? Not surprised at all.

valvelifter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by valvelifter »

"Our inspector was following routine procedure for securing the aircraft that were on the tarmac," Montenegro told ABCNews.com.
:shock:

Maybe not the best thing to say...

He who laughs last will laugh the hardest
GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

That ad for the free weight loss trial is sexist... why aren't they making the men the same offer? I'm on a diet, where's my free trial? I'm not against posting any ads that show a beautiful slim woman who doesn't need to diet though... :wink:

Oh, noticed the ad changes... there was an ad in one of the above posts, beautiful side on view of a slim woman measuring her hips, ad was for free trial diet program FOR WOMEN

course I'm thinking "what does she need to diet for?" and "great baz....s" and "hey, no offer for men? bastages"

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What not to use as a ladder... Or how to ground 9 planes...

Post by Apollo »

Mmmkay.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Holy shit, what's next? Fire missiles at us just to see if terrorists could blow up airplanes? Someone's gonna get killed with this going on, won't be the first time a pitot failure takes out hundreds of lives.

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

After reading that I have to shake my head. Here is an article from Aviation Safety Letter. To think we are suppose to give "unfettered access to the aircraft" What's next? Give them a screwdriver to open every panel.

Inspecting Airplanes on the Ramp—The Role of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
by the Technical and National Programs Division, Standards, Civil Aviation, Transport Canada

Have you ever noticed people, other than your co-workers, around an aircraft, looking in wheel wells and opening all the access panels, and wondered who they were? Did you get very protective of your company’s property all of a sudden? You were probably surprised to find these individuals examining an airplane you are responsible for. You may be the aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) who has to attest for the condition of the airplane, and you certainly should be concerned that others have access to it. In this respect, you are putting your own professional reputation on the line, as well as that of the approved maintenance organization (AMO) for which you work. After all, company procedures and policies in the maintenance control manual (MCM) or maintenance policy manual (MPM) have to be followed, and it’s your job to ensure that they are.

The Canadian aviation industry is recognized for a high level of maintenance standards. A major contributor to this is the requirement to have an approved maintenance program and a professional calibre of people performing the maintenance. Consequently, when a maintenance crew encounters an unknown person around the aircraft, it is their responsibility to find out who the individual is, and under what authority they are there.

More than likely, the individual is legitimate and will have official credentials to explain their presence. Authorized personnel, such as Border Services Officers (BSO) (formerly called Customs Officers), will be able to show you their official credentials. In order to perform their job effectively, they must have unfettered access to the aircraft. To explain this, it is important to remember that they are working with the best interest of the Canadian public in mind. Their role is to look for hidden narcotics and other such contraband, or smuggled goods that can also jeopardize the safety of the aircraft, due to where they are hidden. Their inspection activities are very much a joint effort with the aviation industry to enhance border security, combat organized crime and terrorism, increase awareness of customs-compliance issues, and help detect and prevent contraband smuggling.

A closer look at their inspection practices highlights how this is accomplished. The CBSA uses a variety of technologies and initiatives to detect contraband and prohibited or restricted goods. They share information from their independent inspections and encourage the industry to do the same. Often, AMEs are faced with a situation where contraband is discovered and is turned over to BSOs. Conversely, BSOs may encounter aircraft components in need of adjustment or repair, and can pass this information along to the maintenance personnel.

Any aircraft on an inbound flight from a foreign departure point may be subject to inspection by customs. The CBSA selects aircraft for inspection based on a risk-management approach, focusing on flights that represent the highest level of risk. When BSOs are going to perform an inspection, they make every effort to notify the aircraft operator in advance, through its dispatch centre. When they perform a ramp inspection, they open exterior access panels that have “quick-release” style fasteners or interior panels with quick-release or screw fasteners. Should the officers wish to open other panels, they are instructed to seek the assistance of an AME. Upon the completion of the BSOs’ inspection, the team leader documents their actions, listing any panels that were removed for access, and all areas that were inspected. The inspection report is left with the airline representative or, if no one is available, in the flight deck. With this information available, maintenance staff can verify that everything has been properly secured, or they can reopen the listed panels to look inside for themselves, and close them again for personal satisfaction that there are no mechanical infringements and the maintenance documentation requirements have been met. If an airline or their maintenance organization has concerns about an inspection, they should contact the local CBSA airport office to address them in a timely manner.

CBSA inspectors play a vital role on behalf of the Canadian public. Their officers are well trained and make every effort to work in conjunction with the airlines to ensure their activities do not jeopardize safety.

Occasionally, CBSA activities may cause delays—but not always. In some cases, things such as short turn around times, gate changes, late arrivals, and bad weather can mean it takes them a bit longer than everyone would prefer. Often, BSOs encounter problems in the inspection process, or they actually find something that wasn’t supposed to be there. A delay is unfortunate, but they still require time to do their job properly and cautiously.

The CBSA has an important job to perform. There is no argument that their work is valuable, and that their presence on the ramp is a valid element in airline operations. However, in most cases, there is no consideration or leeway in the dispatch process provided to the CBSA to account for this unscheduled ramp activity. That means that, to a certain extent, the CBSA relies on co-operation with the airline to get the aircraft for their inspection, even though they have legislated authority in that respect.

Over the past few years, members of the various airlines, associated maintenance organizations, and the CBSA have been working together to develop standardized procedures for alerting the airlines of a pending inspection, the inspection process, and the paperwork that provides notification of the work and any panels disturbed. This has been a joint effort with complete buy-in by all interested parties. Transport Canada (TC) was involved as a key partner to ensure that the aviation regulations were taken into consideration, and that overall safety was not compromised. The combined process of aircraft inspections promotes “watching together” and “working together” concepts for all parties, and heightens awareness of the intricate systems and co-ordinated efforts required to get all things done, while limiting inconvenience for the average traveller.

On a regular basis, the CBSA discovers and confiscates drugs, arms shipments and contraband commodities. Their activities not only contribute to making Canada safer, but they also enhance aviation safety. They work proactively, at all times of the day and night, to perform their duties. Their work habits parallel those of the AME. So the next time you see a CBSA officer around your aircraft, work with them so they can do their jobs with minimal disruption. To learn more about the CBSA, visit http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.

Rectum, damn near killed 'em
~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Instead of apologizing for this now highly publicized incident, they are now considering levying fines on American Eagle for not properly securing the aircraft....what a joke :rolleyes:

From the TSA website:
On August 19 a Transportation Security Inspector (TSI) was conducting a routine compliance inspection on aircraft parked on the airfield at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport (ORD). The TSI inspected nine American Eagle aircraft to look for and test, among other things, access vulnerabilities or areas were someone with ill intent could gain access to the aircraft.

Aircraft operators are required to secure each aircraft when left unattended. The TSIs are encouraged to look for and follow through on vulnerabilities. During the inspection process at ORD the Inspector used a Total Air Temperature (TAT) probe – a probe that protrudes from the side of the aircraft that is used to measure outside air temperature – to pull himself up while investigating possible access vulnerabilities with the unattended aircraft.

The Inspector was following through on regulatory inspection activity. The Inspector was able to gain access to the interior of seven of the nine aircraft inspected, which is an apparent violation of the airline’s security program. TSA is reviewing the inspection results and depending on the conclusion, could take action with the airline, up to and including levying of civil penalties.

While the inspection process is a vital layer of aviation security, it is not TSA’s intent to cause delays or potential damage to aircraft as a result of our inspections. TSA took immediate steps to re-enforce education about sensitive equipment located on the exterior of a plane.

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
FamilyGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FamilyGuy »

Maybe the TSA folks are secret Al Quada operatives trying to cause panic with rampant T/O crashes...

Last time I went through "security" I had a REALLY hard time understaning the "security agent" if you know what I mean :bear:

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

FamilyGuy wrote:Maybe the TSA folks are secret Al Quada operatives trying to cause panic with rampant T/O crashes...

Last time I went through "security" I had a REALLY hard time understaning the "security agent" if you know what I mean :bear:
I know what you mean

Unfortunately you are too narrow minded to understand the different cultures and religions and judge an entire race of people because of the colour of their skin and not the values behind their up bringing.

But I guess I'm guilty of the same thing, judging you to be a racist by just one sentence and not the life time of good you may of done.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
FlowPack
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FlowPack »

During the inspection process at ORD the Inspector used a Total Air Temperature (TAT) probe – a probe that protrudes from the side of the aircraft that is used to measure outside air temperature – to pull himself up while investigating possible access vulnerabilities
Cool. Maybe he'll use a pitot tube, or something else equally useless next time to 'pull himself up'.
Pitot tubes.. those things are for pussies anyways.

Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here
Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

It could get interesting if one of these guys inadvertantly damages something and causes a crash.

It could happen. Think of the recent B-2 crash in Guam. Think of the 757 which crashed because the static ports were taped up.

I don't have a problem with CBS doing an inspection on an inbound international flight. I do have a problem with random security inspectors playing Jacques Clouseau and tampering with aircraft in the middle of the night.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

If the airplane is parked overnight and the GPU is plugged in, leave the pitot heat on. Then check n the morning for burned hands and shoes. :lol: :twisted: :roll:

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

oldtimer wrote:If the airplane is parked overnight and the GPU is plugged in, leave the pitot heat on. Then check n the morning for burned hands and shoes. :lol: :twisted: :roll:
Dang, you stole my idea.

Manufacturers should install a ITSIDS (Idiotic Transportation Security inspector Discouragement Switch) on every aircraft. This switch would direct enough power to the probe heaters to leave a lifetime scar on their hands, but not enough to burn out the heating element. I'm applying for the patent first thing Monday morning.

C23flyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by C23flyer »

I need some clarification now. The aircraft were supposed to be either secured or supervised, so as to prevent anyone from gaining access to the cockpit (I'm assuming that's the vulnerable area - maybe the passenger/cargo areas too). The inspector was basically able to find a way in. That's a bad thing for the airline, right?

Are we there yet?
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Put it this way, anyone with a cutting torch could create a hole in the fuselage big enough to drive an elephant through, but do you think it's reasonable for a security inspector to test the theory and then fine the airline?

Using air data probes as a step ladder is just as stupid.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Isn’t the check kind of redundant? I mean if the TSA and airport security were doing their jobs in the first place and not allowing unauthorized persons on the air side of the field, in theory you should be able to leave the A/C unsecured as the airside itself is secure.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

Of course it's redundant. It's a redundancy, just like right mags and cojoes.

Return to “General Comments”