Dumbest thing you've done in an airplane...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Dumbest thing you've done in an airplane...

Post by Blue Side Down »

On the 'flying moments' note... what's the dumbest thing you've done in an airplane?
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

My first lesson. :mrgreen:

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
tripleseven
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tripleseven »

Landed on a taxiway. Good thing the 'port was uncontrolled.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

After surfing the edge of the mot duty limitations on a B-18:

"oooh man!...no climb performance today...oat, oil temp, cylinders temp, oil pressure, engine noise, w&b.....all okay.....what's going on here...."

Until I swiched gear up at 9000' :roll:

Mind you, I heard a story about a C-130 doing the same...and they are supposed to be 3 working the checklist :mrgreen:

unknownsoldier
Rank 0
Rank 0

oh my

Post by unknownsoldier »

takes 3 military guys to do what one civilian guy can do. your comparing them against us? PLEASE................

the soldier...

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Disco... :wink:

Uluwatu
Rank 1
Rank 1

pfffoouuuu!!!....

Post by Uluwatu »

On the 'flying moments' note... what's the dumbest thing you've done in an airplane?
Well, I took off, went for a circuit, came back and land... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeskDriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DeskDriver »

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there

And she was dumb

You've finally made it in Aviation when you nolonger work in a city which begins with Fort, Port, Prince, or Saint. Or leave aviation and stay in a Fort.
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: oh my

Post by TG »

unknownsoldier wrote:takes 3 military guys to do what one civilian guy can do. your comparing them against us? PLEASE................
the soldier...
I'm just telling that nobody is "perfect"...even if we make you believe so... :wink:

Elliot Moose
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elliot Moose »

Cessna Caravan out of Winisk--which was a spring quagmire, with pods full of dead geese and guns, nine "well proportioned" locals from Kasabonika, a bunch of camping gear, and a bit of a tail wind. Oh yeah, I was sitting right seat doing IOE on a guy who was on about his third day in the captain's seat :shock: . Good thing there was a ditch at the end of the clearing to launch us over the pile of old oil drums! :oops:

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Took off outta Schefferville once with the F-27 and climbed to FL180 with the flaps at 16 degrees. So much for after t/o checklists. :oops:

fatdumbandlazy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fatdumbandlazy »

600# overgross giving rides in a 172 at a fly in breakfast.

TC walked right in front of my a/c before I started the engine, looked at my pax, shook his head and kept on walking.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

DeskDriver wrote:Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there

And she was dumb
:lol: Comedic timing is rare thing. Only 5 posts and already so witty...look out folks...watch this up and coming star. :D

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

tripleseven wrote:Landed on a taxiway. Good thing the 'port was uncontrolled.
Was it in a triple seven? :D :D

When I had a grand total of 90 hours I was building time for my CPL. I took this girl up and was trying to impress her. During the taxi I kept talking about how crappy this little plane was and I was using all sorts of colourful language. I was telling her about how in 5 years I'd be an airline pilot making lots of money. When I switched to tower I was informed that I had a stuck mike. Doh! number 1. I returned to the flying school to tell the CFI. I was told to taxi the plane back to the hanger. I overprimed it and couldn't get the engine started. The airplane was right below the control tower, and I looked up and saw all the controls laughing at me.

pistonbroke
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pistonbroke »

When I was training for my night rating, I placed the aircraft logbook on the passenger while I was doing circuits.When I parked the plane I noticed the passenger door was left open and the log book was gone.

The flight school was not impressed.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

C208 departure out of YQT, empty. Through 8000' the upper half of the cargo door came open. I sent the F/O back to close it...
At least he lived!

Oh ya and the time I started the takeoff run in a C180 on floats with the oil cap off and blew 3 quarts of oil onto the windscreen before aborting. Taxi back to the dock, the owner is standing on the end arms crossed... sorry boss hehe!

Boeing Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boeing Driver »

During a quick descent into Toronto to comply with a crossing restriction, I had the speed brake all the way out. After leveling off, the airplane required a disturbingly large amount of power to keep it level in a wierd nose high attitude. "What is going on?!?!?!?" I said aloud. Captain looks at me and says........."You may want to stow the speed brake.......if you want." :oops:

rightseatwonder
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by rightseatwonder »

got stuck in the "float trap"!

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Flying for a cargo outfit in YYC. Inadvertently left without one important piece to the puzzle. Left the freight on the ramp. I was wondering why ATC was saying company wanted us to return. Never dawned on me until I talked to the handlers. Good thing it was after xmas and the loads were light.

Boeing Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Boeing Driver »

Airbrake, that reminds me of another.

In the Avitat in Vancouver waiting for our charter pax. When they get there, they put their bags on the bag cart. Well, I start to load the airplane and collect "all" the bags by the door. Off we go to Bella Coola. Sometime during climb out, my pager buzzes. "Do you have a black bag with a pad lock on board?" asked my dispatcher. "Why....yes I do. I loaded it myself." "Well.......that bag belongs to a passenger flying on XYZ airlines (competition airline)" "OH!"

It all worked out but pretty embarasing nonetheless.

Return to “General Comments”