Working in the USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Working in the USA

Post by skybaron »

Does anyone know what type of documents (other than FAA licenses and passport) are required for a Canadian to land a flying gig in the US?
---------- ADS -----------

Antidote
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Working in the USA

Post by Antidote »

Hey dude.

I have no definite answer but I can tell you that I've been wondering about the very same thing.

I'll attempt an answer nonetheless: I bet it's just the same as any other type of employment, and you need a work visa, and therefore you probably need to be sponsored by an employer who has demonstrated that no Americans have the necessary qualifications.

This is probably pretty hard under normal circumstances, unless you are an extremely qualifier, high-time type rated captain. In these times of furlough, it's probably completely impossible.

But this is just a guess. Anyone else care to comment?

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

A marriage license. :-)

(Just in case someoen takes the above seriously, I have to point out that marrying an American for a Green Card is illegal under U.S. law)

When or if you get that, you'll still have all sorts of problems until or unless you become a U.S. Citizen.

If you want to fly scheduled, you'll need your pilot training records for the last 5 years. You can't supply them yourself. They either have to come direct from your employer or through a certified third party. Most Canadian employers have no idea what that's about. Canadian employers have no obligation to provide those records.

Last edited by Conquest Driver on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Duckie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Just Duckie »

Well, unless your mother was an American, you marry one or they still have the "Green Card Lottery", that sums it up pretty well! Good Job :smt023

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Post by avcanada »

Canadians can not apply for the green card lottery. Exception would be if your spouses citizenship is allowed you can still apply.

Which Countries are excluded from the US Green Card Lottery?

For this year's DV-2010, natives of the following countries are NOT eligible to apply because they sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the U.S. in the previous five years: BRAZIL, CANADA, CHINA (mainland-born), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, EL SALVADOR, GUATEMALA, HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PHILIPPINES, PERU, POLAND, RUSSIA, SOUTH KOREA, UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland which is eligible) and its dependent territories, and VIETNAM. Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan are eligible.
NAFTA is one way to work in the U.S. (TN status). TN status if you qualify can be granted very quickly and cheaply no lawyer needed.

H visas such as H1B is the other common visa to get to work in the U.S. and the stepping stone to get residency. Both H1B and TN require employer sponsorship along with other requirements like four year degrees. H visas require DOL approval and can take months.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

NAFTA does not cover aviation, unfortunately. Search the topic for more info, it's been discussed extensively.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Very informative.

Is there a way around the Green Card/Citizenship business through a "J" type Visa? - I heard this is somewhat of a loophole that will enable an instructor to provide flight training in the US for 2 years

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Baron, PM yycflyguy - he can give you info on that.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

All I can really say now is that AvCanada Joe is right on the money. I worked down there on TN visas from 2000 until 2005. The political and security climate has drastically changed over that period. When I first went to apply for my first TN visa I was practically hugged and welcomed to the country. Then Bush got in power and 9/11 happened. Foreigners are NOT welcome in the US to work (although Bush did provide an amnesty to all the illegal Mexicans working in the country as they were doing the work that Americans wouldnt.... WTF). So to answer your question you have to ask yourself a few things. Why do you even want to work there? The industry is not as healthy as it is in Canada, the pay is generally worse there than here and there are less opportunities to get on with an major airline (if that is your goal) as all the carriers are either looking at mergers (with furloughs), bankruptcy or downsizing (more furloughs). The TN visa will not allow you to fly for a 121 operator nor will an H1B (company sponsored). Even if you are looking at corporate work, good luck finding someone that you can convince to pay the application + lawyer fee to get you in the country working for them.

What is your experience level? Can you get a gig in Belize with Tropic Air or Botswana flying Safari tours? India, Viernam and China were all white hot but have cooled somewhat.

There are expat gigs out there and I strongly recommend it to anyone as it is a great life experience and professional opportunity to expand your horizons but not recommended to do it in the US for the next few years until this recession (read; depression) is over.

Suerte amigo.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Since my stops in the States are customs fuel food and out, I never thought very deeply about it. My courses down there are all pre-911.

What exactly was a TN visa? Training? I thought that was a J-1 student visa...

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

The J class visas are for training while the TN-1 is a professional trades list of which aviation/pilots are Not included. You have to have a post secondary degree in a field where there is a demand. The skill came in when I had to explain how my degree was relavent to the TN-1 visa I was applying for. Pretty easy when you are doing geosurveys with a BSc in Earth Science but a little harder to justify when you are flying rich and famous in Learjets. Like I said, it is certainly a difficult environment these days to get a visa.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Triple7
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Triple7 »

besides, there are no jobs down there right now.

Return to “General Comments”