MayDay show last night

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wan2fly99
Rank 4
Rank 4

MayDay show last night

Post by wan2fly99 »

Watch on the discovery channel last night the show 'MAYDAY'

They showed a captain on a BA flight being sucked out the front window.
The stewardes were holding his feet in

What is amazing, the captain survived. This was a BA111 aircraft.
The front window's are bolted from the outside.

Wrong bolts were used in puttingin a new window the night before.

Talk about when it is not your time
---------- ADS -----------

capt.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by capt. »

ah crap, I wanted to see that.
How was it overall for a movie, would it be worth seeing or what?

c185
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by c185 »

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

After that show they did another episode about ASA Flight 529 that went down near Georgia. That was also very interesting, but it was sad how so many people died from the ensuing fire.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

Hey Chris - theres a pretty good book about that crash too

bigred
Rank 3
Rank 3

mayday

Post by bigred »

Yeah I watched the ASA one missed the BA. Watching the ASA one reminded me of the article I read a couple of years ago about the Beech 99 that had the engine detach itself form the mounts and the crew made a succesful landing in the snow that they were able to walk away from.

ULTOR UN UMBRIS
Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

I couldn't understand why they emphasized that the F/O hadn't flown with the rest of the crew before. Why would that be relevant to the story? It's not that they mentioned it once, the narrator mentioned it over and over again.

Could perhaps have given more attention to the shoulder harness factor.

Beechball
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Beechball »

Saw the BAC 111 last night. Excellent show! Good re-enactments, not the cheesy stuff. I appreciated the ending where they showed the F/O as being very human and having been scared ****less. None of that bravado crap.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Not a bad series for the most part, but some of the re-enactments were humerous. I wonder if ASA still has the PNF call "V1" and PF call "VR" as he is rotating the airplane? Where do these producers get their technical advisors from?! :roll:

You would think that in spending tens of thousands of dollars, they might at least get some direction in basic flight deck operations, or is it not "Hollywood" enough to do it right?

There was a series on TLC or Discovery about 7 or 8 years ago called "Disaster in the Skies" or something like that. It was several hour-long episodes of excellent documenteries and film footage of several high profile accidents. Air Florida 90 comes to mind with survivor interviews and CVR recordings etc. No re-enactments, just facts and interviews (including NTSB's Greg Feith from last night's episodes). I'd like to see that series again.

IMHO

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It all depends on who the Movie Company and the director is.

When we did the flying for Mirimax in the movie " Below " they were so careful to make it as origional as possible they even put a fake WW2 instrument panel in place for any of the shots that had part of the panel in it....

...hell they even made sure my military issue condoms were made of 1940's rubber ( extra large of course )

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Guido
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Guido »

Canoehead wrote:Not a bad series for the most part, but some of the re-enactments were humerous. I wonder if ASA still has the PNF call "V1" and PF call "VR" as he is rotating the airplane? Where do these producers get their technical advisors from?! :roll:
I've only seen it once or twice, and I'm not in the airlines, so I wouldn't be one to notice differences, but I was under the impression that they used the scripts from the "black box" recorder ( ? )

Elliot Moose
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elliot Moose »

I wonder if ASA still has the PNF call "V1" and PF call "VR" as he is rotating the airplane
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I've seen some seriously warped S.O.P's come out of the big land to the south. Comair went like 6 years taking off in jets with no flight director on (even though there was a perfectly good takeoff mode--certified for the aircraft) because their POI wouldn't approve a change to the S.O.P. (he was close to retiring and wouldn't sign anything). ASA has had some similar messed up stuff along the way. :roll:

bigred
Rank 3
Rank 3

mayday

Post by bigred »

The reason it is so hard to make these shows as accurate with the cockpit voices/alarms, is because it is a little hard if not impossible in most situations for the producers to get a hold of the cvr and fdr tapes from the NTSB. The reason is they dont hand them or recordings over as a general rule. so you need witness to help the story out a lot.

ULTOR UN UMBRIS
ozame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ozame »

Blowout !! On tonight at 10.00 pst on ch 42

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

Watched it last night, it is incredable that the capt. survived, and they said that he was back flying again five months later.

Thunder Chicken
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thunder Chicken »

The Captain must have worked in Thopmson once in his life, to survive the cold and windchill he was exposed to!!
What an incredable story!!

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Watch both of them last night good shows. Although at time they dumb it down for the average joe but excellent non the less.

Anyone else notice in the georgia crash the ATC guys map on the wall was of the Vancouver Terminal Area

Capt
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Capt »

I watch the one were the engine failed and was creating alot of drag, only saw parts of the show. But I thought it was strange that the pilots didn't know the engine had busted it's mounts and was creating drag. After an engine failer, I confirm that the engine is failed and not on fire visually. If they would have done a visual check of fire or failer they would have noticed the engine. anyway it can be difficult when everything happens at once and they did get it on the ground with everyone surviving, but the fire was to blame for all the deaths. lets hope this never happens to us.
God Speed.

Capt

Inthesoup
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Inthesoup »

On the ASA529 episode, after they engaged the autopilot, why did they remove their headsets?. Seemed strange to me.......unless i missed something.

ITS
peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

About the ASA there is a book called Nine Minutes Twenty Seconds it tells the story of all the pax and crew before and after. An interesting fact is the FO on that ship is now flying for ASA once again and he is missing parts of his fingers and He is flying an ASA CRJ Great work Matt Warmerdam and give thanks to the hero Capt Ed Gannaway if it wasen't for him more people would have been lost.

Return to “General Comments”