Logging X-C time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sakism
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Logging X-C time

Post by sakism »

AuxBatOn wrote:
Cap'n P8 wrote:Well I believe (but no I'm not going to look for a reference) you have to have some sort of view limiting device. If you are flying in VMC and you can see the horizon then it isn't really flying by sole reference to the instruments. Who are we kidding anyways, Otto is probably flying! :wink:
The limiting device is only required on the test, AFAIK. I don't think it has anything to do with logging simulated instruments.

That'd be nice that after take off, you examiner gives you your first system's malfunction : Otto can't do its job anymore :P
Actually, I think that hoods are prohibited (or at least discouraged) on PPC rides. They still might be used on ordinary IFR rides, but it is at the discretion of the examiner.
---------- ADS -----------

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

This I don't know, but most of a PPC ride will be with the aforementioned Otto flying anyways.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

sakism wrote:They still might be used on ordinary IFR rides, but it is at the discretion of the examiner.
Other Equipment
The candidate will supply the following publications and ancillary equipment:
(a) electronic data bases, enroute, terminal and approach charts for the area where the flight test is to
occur must be appropriate and current and, if the test is conducted in Canada, a current Canada Flight
Supplement;
(b) where the flight test is conducted in an aircraft, an effective means of excluding outside visual reference
to simulate instrument flight conditions, while maintaining a safe level of visibility for the examiner or
safety pilot.

tasev1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tasev1 »

I view it as pretty simple. The CAR's recognize 4 categories of logging flight: DAY / NIGHT and VFR / IFR. CAR 401.08 (2)(e). When people quote cross country time in excess of 25nm or 50nm, I believe they are confusing that with the requirement to file a flight plan or itinerary, which is not the case.

VFR and IFR is a flight rule, Day / Night is a flight condition, cross country / PIC is type of piloting. You may have any combination. Day VFR PIC X-Country, Night IFR SIC local, etc....As for logging XC flight time - did you use any approved navigation methods to reach a destination away from home? If you are shooting approaches at your local airport that's just plain IFR flight time. But fly to another airport and land, that becomes cross country time...well because you traveled "across country" to get somewhere!

VFR or IFR, same thing. You fly a KingAir 200 as PIC from Oshawa to Hamilton on an IFR flight plan on a CAVOK day at 1PM: you are recording time as Multi-Engine Day PIC Cross Country IFR with the approach and you're not under a hood. If you had to separate actual IMC as some above suggest then this pilot would have to separate time above and below class-A airspace? I doubt that.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Do you realize you just responded to a thread that is over 10 years old?

Return to “General Comments”