The personal log book thing.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: The personal log book thing.

Post by Hornblower »

Hedley wrote:As soon as you log one flight in the new log (assuming you
do 5 takeoffs and landings, etc to satisfy CAR 401) then you
can . the old one if you wish. Not many people do, though.
I'll take it a step further; inasmuch as there is no requirement in said regulations regarding the time limits to capture said information, nor a specified format for such record, there really is no enforceable requirement to "keep" a current record. Should there be a difficulty with some "inspection" process by TC, one could meerly write such info on the back of your pack of smokes, produce it at the time of inspection, and walk away.
---------- ADS -----------

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

You bring up an interesting point: Statute of Limitations.

There are none on the CARs. You can be charged with a
contravention 10 or 100 years after the alleged occurrence.

Now, the Aviation Enforcement Policy Manual specifies that
after one year, a monetary penalty should not be laid,
but as has been strenously and repeatedly argued in court,
the Aviation Enforcement Policy Manual is simply policy - it
is not binding, and Transport is not obligated to follow it.

I know of a case, years after the alleged occurence, Enforcement
suspended a pilot's commercial licence for FIVE YEARS - they
argued that there was no monetary penalty for a commercial
pilot, to lose his licence for five years (!)

Which brings me to the 100th anniversary of flight in Canada
in Nova Scotia, which I will pointedly NOT be attending. A
particularly unpleasant Enforcement Inspector called me up,
cold, on the phone a couple years ago, and told me to never,
ever fly my Pitts down to Nova Scotia.

Deal.

On the 100th Anniversary of flight in Canada, it would not
surprise me to hear that this particularly unpleasant Enforcement
Inspector from Nova Scotia was going to exhume to bodies of
Alexander Graham Bell and his pilot, to have them charged
with numerous contraventions of the Canadian Aviation
Regulations.

They had no C of R. They had no C of A. They had no annual
inspection, no compass swing, AD's were not complied with,
no interception procedures, no pilot license, no pilot medical.

The list of contraventions by Alexander Graham Bell and his
test pilot are lengthy and serious. Clearly a charge under
CAR 602.01 (reckless and/or negligent) should be considered,
on this, the 100th Anniversary of Flight in Canada.

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

:D

You lot are funny!

I'm sorry to read about Hedley's exclusion from Nova Scotia...
Do we all have to live in fear?
Is fear something the media are promoting?

I thought this thread was about logbooks... I keep mine right up to date as I do fly in other countries too and it would be an embarrassment if I was excluded because I could not prove I meet the competency requirements.
I have seven logbooks now and I treasure them.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I thought this thread was about logbooks... I keep mine right up to date as I do fly in other countries too and it would be an embarrassment if I was excluded because I could not prove I meet the competency requirements.
I have not kept a personal log book for decades.

In 55 years of flying I have never been asked to produce a personal log book, except when I first got my licenses.

No foreign country has asked for my personal log book, the countries who issued me authorizations to fly their airplanes in their airspace only asked for my history and total flying time.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

The Thai DCA require certified copies of my most recent logbook pages.
I would not be able to rent an aeroplane in England without a logbook.
My logbook was required in China.

I wonder what the implications are as far as insurance is concerned?

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

sky's the limit wrote:Well,

I haven't had a log in years, no trouble over here yet.

stl

That is not good. Just don't let the Doctor know at medical time or you could be grounded. :shock:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I wonder what the implications are as far as insurance is concerned?
No, the regulators have no connection with nor interest in what qualifications an insurance company requires.

When dealing with any foreign regulator they will have what ever requirement the person you are dealing with asks for.

Probably the reason I have never been asked for a personal log book is all my foreign authorizations were requested by my employers and good old politics rules every time.

Then as the years pass it gets easier because these people have a jungle drum message system that works real well.

For instance the last foreign regulator that I am associated with was the Greek HCAA, during the process of setting up the sea plane airline in Greece they made the decision that it would be better for all concerned if I were working for the HCAA as they could foresee other companies becoming involved in operating sea planes in that area for the simple reason the area lends its self to sea plane operations.

The idea was to try and set up the best rules and regulations for such an operation that would be acceptable to EASA.

Anyhow after several months I agreed to accepting the offer that the HCAA made to me.

Here comes the interesting part that all of you should remember.

One day I said to the head of the HCAA licensing department ,xxx , why did you offer me such a job considering I am about as far from a bureaucrat as the human mind could conceive of?

His answer really surprised me.

He said you are well known around the world for being someone who can be trusted and you can't be bought off, we trust you and we have enough bureaucrats anyhow.

I am not relating this just to stroke my own dick, because I am basically finished with aviation anyhow.

I am relating this to try and impress on all you young people that integrity is still something that is worth its weight in gold.

Being known as untrustworthy will never be of any value in any normal society.

Last edited by Cat Driver on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Cat Driver wrote: I am relating this to try and impress on all you young people that integrity is still something that is worth its weight in gold.

This is probably the single most important thing anyone can learn here. Integrity is key, perhaps if more people had it, we'd be fresh out of topics to discuss on here... One day, perhaps.

stl

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

if more people had it, we'd be fresh out of topics to discuss on here
You mean that with 'integrity' there's no aviation?

I know of a Thai pilot who wrote in twin time in his logbook in order to get the TG job.
They put him on the 747 course and then he fell out with his girlfriend... "Hell have no fury....", and she told TG about his false logbook and they rightly fired him.
He now has a job flying heavies in the middle east.

From my point of view, misrepresentation in one's logbook is one of the worst crimes a pilot can commit.
It is an insult to all who genuinely worked to build real experience.

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

MichaelP wrote: From my point of view, misrepresentation in one's logbook is one of the worst crimes a pilot can commit.

As far as crimes against aviation, I really can't get too worked up about Parker time to be honest. I've seen pilots flying shit heap a/c for months on end not reporting snags, letting mntc slide when the AME is too busy/lazy to do it right, overloading in the extreme and as a matter of course, conducting flights in conditions far beyond either their own or the a/c's capabilities, exceeding engine/transmission limits, and on and on. Things that can, and will, hurt themselves, paying customers, and maybe even me at some point.

If a company has the right people in place, those who forge logbooks will get caught, those who don't obviously learn fast enough to be competent, but integrity in others areas is what concerns me the most.

People are so hung up on time, be nice if skills meant the same to most pilots as "hours." They sure aren't the same thing...

stl

Hornblower
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Hornblower »

Hedley wrote:You bring up an interesting point: Statute of Limitations.

There are none on the CARs. You can be charged with a
contravention 10 or 100 years after the alleged occurrence.
Actually I wasn't talking about that. I was saying since there are no requirements relating to the point in time when the records you referred to are required to be made, such as in CAR 605 tech log requirements (i.e. before the next flight, or within 30 days), you can make them whenever you want, including at a point after you are asked to produce them. There is not even a requirement that they be accurate such as in 605.93(1). My point was that they really amount to guidance, and could not realistically be enforced.

As for the statute of limitations, I believe that you are wrong there also, for the Aeronautics Act section 26. states: No proceedings under sections 7.6 to 8.2 or by way of summary conviction under this Act may be instituted after twelve months from the time when the subject-matter of the proceedings arose.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Hornblower, I think what Hedley is trying to say is TCCA can and do make arbitrary decisions on who, when and what they decide to do when laying charges.

What is written in the Aeronautics Act, the CAR's or anywhere else has no bearing on what they can do.

I know some of you have difficulty believing that but Hedly and I have unequivocal proof they do.

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

I was asked for my logbook in Heathrow when being ramp checked on a 777 by the CAA.
Fortunately, I have such a thing and the Inspector was happy with my "Recency".
The F/O was not asked; good thing, he didn't have one and we would have been grounded.

AOPA just pointed out that a logbook is a legal requirement in the US as well.

My logbook is not a fancy blue book purchased at great expense, but rather a little red "Crew Log" sold by various aviation stores.
Make sure the required details are in it.

Why are some so childish that they refuse to do the obvious?

Transport can ask you to prove your recency; unless crew sked can provide you with an instant copy over the data link, you might just have a bad day.

For those without corporate support, keeping a small book or electronic record is very simple and will certainly come in handy at some point.

An Aviation Lawyer will be very happy to represent you if required; bring some cash!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I don't see how an airline could operate without some way of tracking recency. Couldn't the F/O have simply logged in to that system and displayed it?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

FADEC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 am I was asked for my logbook in Heathrow when being ramp checked on a 777 by the CAA.
Fortunately, I have such a thing and the Inspector was happy with my "Recency".
The F/O was not asked; good thing, he didn't have one and we would have been grounded.

AOPA just pointed out that a logbook is a legal requirement in the US as well.

My logbook is not a fancy blue book purchased at great expense, but rather a little red "Crew Log" sold by various aviation stores.
Make sure the required details are in it.

Why are some so childish that they refuse to do the obvious?

Transport can ask you to prove your recency; unless crew sked can provide you with an instant copy over the data link, you might just have a bad day.

For those without corporate support, keeping a small book or electronic record is very simple and will certainly come in handy at some point.

An Aviation Lawyer will be very happy to represent you if required; bring some cash!
Do you carry a logbook showing all your ground training and recency for that training as well?
Commercially speaking, it's just as important as flight currency.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I do carry my PPC card, elementary maintenance card, dangerous goods card... etc etc. Plus lots of calendar things are tracked by the company and a quick call to the CP or even a log in to Aerostudies will answer all of the other stuff pretty quickly if it came to it.

I have my logbook on my phone and it’s always up to date with entries as well as showing recency and currency, etc.

I don’t like to give anyone any excuses to make my life miserable.. and it’s worked out pretty good so far.

The not keeping a logbook group is like the anti-maskers. They think that they are being “wolves” instead of sheep. But I’ve seen a lot of wolves.. dirty, mangy, starving, cold, and lots of times.. dead. Any wonder they took up the offer of free food 10,000 years ago.

All you’re doing is showing how sensitive you are to trivial things...and ironically.. it’s often as you blindly follow another crowd.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What ever happened to STL anyway?

PeterParker
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PeterParker »

Until I went digital with my logbook recently, I never carried my logbook with me all the time. Wouldn't it be reasonable to have some time to provide proof of currency if someone uses a paper logbook?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Some people are very anal and keep immaculate log books and I guess it's a wonderful record of where and what you have done. I wasn't one of those. I think my last entry in a log book was circa 1974, ironically I was never requested to produce a log book for employment after that, maybe the industry was a lot smaller then. I do have some regrets on not keeping it up but more regrettable was the lack of photos I took. If anything I think that would be what I would do if I had a chance to do it all over again. Like the old saying(thousand words thingy), a picture means a lot more than a printed line in a log book.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Personally I log all my flights in a paper log book. With 43 years of flying I am now on book number 5. Occasionally I browse my old logs and even the brief entries brings back old memories some good, some bad, some funny and some scary. I keep a picture album with a date on the pictures so I can cross reference the log entry. A friend of mine actually glues pictures in his log book but I never got that organized.

After you have all your licenses and ratings there is no CAR's requirement to keep a log but for me the ability to look back at my flying, alone is justification for taking the 2 minutes to jot down the details of my last flight

One issue that has not been mentioned is completing insurance pilot experience forms. I am on the insurance on 5 different private airplanes. Filling out these forms is a lot easier if you have a current logbook to reference. This matters as you are signing the insurance form which will have a statement that you are attesting to the accuracy of you information.

Finally I am with pie. Not keeping a log book simply because you see this a giving a finger to the man strikes me as a poor reason......

Return to “General Comments”