IFR in the USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Colibri
Rank 3
Rank 3

IFR in the USA

Post by Colibri »

I'm planning a trip to the states this summer and I have some questions about the differences in IFR...

I've flown to the states many times before but this time I'd like to be able to file IFR if the weathers bad.

I know the LO charts are the same, but do they have CAP's like in Canada? What are the major differences in procedures? Ex. uncontrolled, etc... I know they don't have MF's down there so is it the same as getting a clearance as it is at an uncontrolled airport in Canada?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

philknight29
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: IFR in the USA

Post by philknight29 »

Hey,

They have FAA approach charts for about 4 bucks. There are about 6 books that cover the entire US.
The Jepps are better and the ones I use. When you buy the express packs the LO charts are included with it not sure about anything else.

Almost all the charts are available online at Airnav.com.

At an uncontrolled they'll clear you for the approach and ask you to contact them on the ground or going missed. On departure you have many choices. If the weather is good enough take off and file in the air. (Not the best Idea I've heard but it's worked on a couple of occasions.)

The better option is to file with FSS on WX-Brief then activate it once airborne with the nearest controller. They are appalling at times from Uncontrolled Airfields I have always had to file again with the first controller since it's never got there.

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.

Dallas the Dog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dallas the Dog »

I occasionally fly IFR on the West Coast. Please PM and I will provide what nuance I can -- particularly for Northern California.

Cheers,
James
alti2d
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by alti2d »

You can get a FAR/AIM with the regs and plain language procedures at most Canadian pilot supply shops, as a GA aircraft, review Chapter 91 for the rules that would apply to you.

Also found it the AIM online here

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/ ... /index.htm

IFR procedures are very similar and you won't really find significant differences til you get into the details.

Good luck

Colibri
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Colibri »

Thanks for all the help guys!

I guess my last question is I know they have FSS at some airports just like our MF, but how do you tell? Is it written in the airport directory? I can't really remember as it's been a few years since I've flow down there.

avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin

Post by avcanada »

Everything you need to know about FSS in the U.S. in a free interactive course. You do not need to be an AOPA member to access
https://www.aopa.org/asf/osc/loginform. ... ject_code=&

Yes the airport facility directory does give information on FSS but all you really need to know is 1-800-wxbrief is the number to call.

Return to “General Comments”